Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

LS2 350Z begins..

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 03:24 PM
SnyperZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
nice build! car looks great too. a few questions if you don't mind.

1. I went on Hinsons website. So the install kit includes a driveshaft, motor mount, tranny mount and oil pan. So all you need is the engine for a direct drop in?

2. what else is needed for install?

3. what about the engine wiring for the z?

thanks.

1. Yes

2. All the other stuff on the website plus a few not mentioned.

3. DIY. He provides instructions.(have yet to receive them)
Old 03-06-2009, 04:18 PM
SnyperZ

Originally Posted by gringott
I'm a little puzzled by the post by Uprev, my understanding is that Hinson provides the necessary modules to interface between the Nissan stuff and the GM control module for the engine. Am I missing something here? Thanks.
I am too. He sells an interface. Id think that trying to get the titan ECU to work would be near impossible and if it were..I couldnt imagine the cost of doing something like that. The only thing I wondered is if there was a way to get the Nissan VIN into the GM ECU for emmissions
Old 03-06-2009, 04:27 PM
UpRev
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SnyperZ
That seems like an extremely difficult task. Theres alot of calibrations and additions to the wiring harness that would have to be made..Seems like it might be more trouble than its worth. My car will retain all stock functions as well...im using a CAN gateway to splice the 2 systems together.
Plugs are identical, pinout is nearly the same between titan/G35/350Z. You would need to add the extra two cylinder wires obviously. Some of the sensors might need to be adjusted in the software, but should be fairly straight forward.

Thats why I said bring a car to us and we can make the CAN stuff work, thats what we do here.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:28 PM
UpRev
Banned

I am too. He sells an interface. Id think that trying to get the titan ECU to work would be near impossible and if it were..I couldnt imagine the cost of doing something like that. The only thing I wondered is if there was a way to get the Nissan VIN into the GM ECU for emmissions
If near impossible = a few weeks of development sure.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:37 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by gringott
I'm a little puzzled by the post by Uprev, my understanding is that Hinson provides the necessary modules to interface between the Nissan stuff and the GM control module for the engine. Am I missing something here? Thanks.
He does, but we can make it easier. Thats my only point. We can develop it. But hey great car, have fun. If anyone is interested in making it work, contact us. We're not idiots here, check our reputation, we do this sort of thing with the stock ECU, it's not difficult and then everything in the car would continue to work without needing modules. I see Hinsons lists it as a module for getting the stock gauges to work, what about ABS, or any of the other controls in the car?

Nissan ECU Tune $425
CAN Gateway $295
GM Computer Tune $185
= $905

Add the HP Tuners VCM Suite $499 and you're at $1404

We have Osiris Tuner for $900 that could potentially handle all of that stuff no modules needed. If we had a car here to develop the change over, you might need to order the Titan ECU, but we may even be able to use the stock VQ35 ECU for all we know. At the worst it would be better integration, at best it would be that and a lower cost.

Dunno why I'm getting flack for offering help in a swap situation.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:06 PM
SnyperZ

Originally Posted by UpRev
He does, but we can make it easier. Thats my only point. We can develop it. But hey great car, have fun. If anyone is interested in making it work, contact us. We're not idiots here, check our reputation, we do this sort of thing with the stock ECU, it's not difficult and then everything in the car would continue to work without needing modules. I see Hinsons lists it as a module for getting the stock gauges to work, what about ABS, or any of the other controls in the car?

Nissan ECU Tune $425
CAN Gateway $295
GM Computer Tune $185
= $905

We have Osiris Tuner for $900 that could potentially handle all of that stuff no modules needed. If we had a car here to develop the change over, you might need to order the Titan ECU, but we may even be able to use the stock VQ35 ECU for all we know. At the worst it would be better integration, at best it would be that and a lower cost.

Don't take what I was saying the wrong way, I figured it would be much more difficult to make it work. Everything will work the same. The nissan ECU will be controlling everything but the engine and the GM computer will be controlling just the engine. I would consider this route if you guys were closer and my deadline wasnt so close. I wonder why it costs 425$ to completely detune the nissan ECU.. but then again he does charge 1000.00 for the oil pan.

Last edited by SnyperZ; 03-06-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:21 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Nissan ECU Tune $425
CAN Gateway $295
GM Computer Tune $185
= $905

Not flack - don't get it. If Hinson's method prevents something from working that your method would make work, great. Just thought it all worked using his method.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:15 PM
SnyperZ

Hopefully some more parts come in this week.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Asian Invasian

sick!! in for updates.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:35 PM
bbs350z

If near impossible = a few weeks of development sure.
i <3 you
Old 03-13-2009, 02:49 PM
SnyperZ

Mounts and clutch are shipping monday. If everything arrives in time..the engine will be permanently seated in its new home.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:28 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So... $4200 to Hinson+LS Motor+Tranny+Exhaust?
Old 03-13-2009, 03:46 PM
SnyperZ

Originally Posted by iStan
So... $4200 to Hinson+LS Motor+Tranny+Exhaust?

lol..add a 1 before the 4 and youll be closer.(not including parts sold)
Old 03-13-2009, 03:59 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I meant
Hinson $4200+ everything else $(10K)
Old 03-13-2009, 06:10 PM
SnyperZ

Originally Posted by iStan
I meant
Hinson $4200+ everything else $(10K)

Around 5k Theres a few things not mentioned on the site..
Old 03-15-2009, 11:06 AM
350zfan1

Holy s#$t 14k for an ls powered 350z..... Ill take my chances with a bolt on supercharger
Old 03-15-2009, 05:03 PM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by 350zfan1
Holy s#$t 14k for an ls powered 350z..... Ill take my chances with a bolt on supercharger
you aren't going to save as much as you think. especially if you do any decent EMS. at which point, i'll be watching for the thread discussing your blown motor...
Old 03-16-2009, 05:45 PM
SnyperZ

Originally Posted by SweetDreamZ
you aren't going to save as much as you think. especially if you do any decent EMS. at which point, i'll be watching for the thread discussing your blown motor...

Yeah, people dont understand. It would cost just as much to build a VQ setup. Again, 14k minus what I sold everything for...good luck building a reliable setup that makes as much power for anything less.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:17 AM
SweetDreamZ

Yeah, people dont understand. It would cost just as much to build a VQ setup. Again, 14k minus what I sold everything for...good luck building a reliable setup that makes as much power for anything less.
yeah, trust me...i'm running a "bolt on supercharger" haha. I know FULL WELL the costs of running a decent EMS with "cheap" bolt ons. They all add up...and suddenly 14k for an LSx setup...doesn't sound too bad at all...since i'm still playing with fire on my old DE VQ...blah
Old 03-17-2009, 08:11 PM
SnyperZ

Originally Posted by SweetDreamZ
yeah, trust me...i'm running a "bolt on supercharger" haha. I know FULL WELL the costs of running a decent EMS with "cheap" bolt ons. They all add up...and suddenly 14k for an LSx setup...doesn't sound too bad at all...since i'm still playing with fire on my old DE VQ...blah

Keep in mind the money made back even from OEM parts...and I added a bunch of things.

Quick Reply: LS2 350Z begins..