Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

4.15L NA VQ Engine Build with Rebello and Zcargarge

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:28 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gabe3d
Thanks

Here is another vid of it idling when I picked it up. I took some drive by videos but all of them are terrible.
Gabe,
The G is fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed my ride in it! But having me drive it at the track would be bad for both of us. Bad for you because you'd get hooked and want to gut and cage the G and track the hell out of it. Bad for me because I'd want my own stroked 4.2 for my Z. I can only imagine your engine in my 2900# Z. . . wow.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:26 PM
allmotorsedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gabe, your car sounds effin awesome!!! more vids of drive by PLEASE!!!!
Old 02-27-2010, 02:58 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gabe,

I'm really excited to see how our headers perform on your setup! I am glad they arrived safe and the coating was a great option. I think I should include it in most headers if just to reduce engine bay heat.

Hope to see some dyno and in-car videos soon!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:20 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys.

Nothing new with the car so far, other than that all of the bushings have been installed. Hopefully we'll start the testing and final tuning next week or tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:17 PM
kgkeen101

Yeah, its painful but what can we do. Sometimes it just seems that our project is the one left in the back burner.

Are you planning to get the ProEFI FlexFuel? It would definitely make running E85 a much better option for anyone that drives their car more.
I will probably hook up the ProEFI FlexFuel, its really cool and I saw a 700hp turbo supra running it on his proefi too. Definitely would help for the future as the stuff will get more and more popular. I love this ProEFI stuff, so many options.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:33 PM
jones21

Damn the owner of rebello racing lives in my neighborhood. My friends grew up with his son, think his names adam. Didnt know they worked on too many Z's
Old 03-18-2010, 03:53 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I can haz update?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Hostetler

yes yes update plezzzz!
Old 03-22-2010, 11:55 AM
SexyRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

update!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:40 AM
gabe3d

Sorry guys, will update this later this week. I got the car back almost complete but it just needs a few more things and everything should be worthy of a post.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:42 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice lookin forward to it.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:35 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking forward to it too!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:52 PM
kgkeen101

Yeah gona be sick to see results.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:09 PM
gabe3d

I was gonna write a nice long post but I figured I'd do that later when everything is done.

Here are some comps for you guys to look at in the meantime, before the car is completely finalized.

1. Comp of the car comparing now to when the first came into Zcar.

2. Comp of the car comparing now to when the car got Tomei-ed (Cams and Headers) with Cosworth Intake.

3. Test of how the Cosworth Intake performed against the Motordyne 5/16th and MREV2

4. Test of how the SGM LTH performed.
4.1. Untuned

4.2. Tuned
Old 03-27-2010, 08:18 PM
allmotorsedan

I was gonna write a nice long post but I figured I'd do that later when everything is done.

Here are some comps for you guys to look at in the meantime, before the car is completely finalized.

1. Comp of the car comparing now to when the first came into Zcar.

2. Comp of the car comparing now to when the car got Tomei-ed (Cams and Headers) with Cosworth Intake.

3. Test of how the Cosworth Intake performed against the Motordyne 5/16th and MREV2

4. Test of how the SGM LTH performed.
4.1. Untuned

4.2. Tuned

WOW!!!! That is awesome Gabe Those SGM LTH really help out the top end, midrange especially over the Tomei headers. Your last graph, that was tuned for the Tomei's as well?

Either way, 320ft lbs is not nothing to snicker about.... I bet you are having a blast with it!!!

How does the increase in displacement, just overall everything with the new motor, coinside with the 4.08 gears? Can we say no traction 1st, 2nd...
3rd.... maybe in 4th.......LOL

Last edited by allmotorsedan; 03-27-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:58 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by allmotorsedan
WOW!!!! That is awesome Gabe Those SGM LTH really help out the top end, midrange especially over the Tomei headers. Your last graph, that was tuned for the Tomei's as well?

Either way, 310ft lbs is not nothing to snicker about.... I bet you are having a blast with it!!!

How does the increase in displacement, just overall everything with the new motor, coinside with the 4.08 gears? Can we say no traction 1st, 2nd...
3rd.... maybe in 4th.......LOL
Good question. The car was tuned for the Tomei with the Cosworth but not with the MD setup. Changing to the LTH changed things quite a bit so we had to retune a lot.

The traction is quite bad in 1st and 2nd, especially since the throttle is really really sensitive now, but nothing not unmanageable. Definitely need some better and wider tires, looking at a set of 18" TC105N with 295 NT05 tires. I'll try to get some incabin rollons to show you guys.

Nice things
-Car pulls really nicely from any gear as long as you are above 3k rpm.
-The LTH headers make the car sound really nice.
-Transmission with the new poly mount is awesome and my shifting has never been smoother.
-I filled up twice already and I'm getting over 300miles for the tank
-The new bushings all around the car was a nice maintenance task for the car
-The Quaife LSD is amazing at launches

Not so nice things
-The solid engine mounts are not terrible but I can hear the valves moving and I can now pinpoint the loose stuff in my car...
-My exhaust is now hitting the 4pt chasis brace (gonna switch my MD midsection)
-The idle is sometimes crazy, it revs up and down, but it'll settle if I maintain it at 1.5k rpm after a few secs. Everyone must think I'm trying to race or show off, which is quite embarrassing to say the least.
-Throttle is extremely sensitive
-The exhaust fumes are much more pungent now
-My real time MPG and Miles Remaining are completely off now

Hopefully the bad things will go away and more power can extracted out of the car when we finalized the tuned and put all the parts on.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is that 350 at the wheels in the later graphs? Either way 331 whp (unfinalized) is an enormous feat in its own right. However, I must say I was expecting Cozy intake to give a little more on top (compared to the MREV and MD spacer).

I did have another question, the way the car is set up (aside from the stroking) I would imagine it would like a little more revs, but it looks like its at its limit. Do you plan to push it any further (rev-wise) or do you guys feel your at the ceiling considering rod/piston ratios/speeds?

Congrats on putting together a great build!

Last edited by Zazz93; 03-28-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:35 PM
allmotorsedan

Good question. The car was tuned for the Tomei with the Cosworth but not with the MD setup. Changing to the LTH changed things quite a bit so we had to retune a lot.

The traction is quite bad in 1st and 2nd, especially since the throttle is really really sensitive now, but nothing not unmanageable. Definitely need some better and wider tires, looking at a set of 18" TC105N with 295 NT05 tires. I'll try to get some incabin rollons to show you guys.

Nice things
-Car pulls really nicely from any gear as long as you are above 3k rpm.
-The LTH headers make the car sound really nice.
-Transmission with the new poly mount is awesome and my shifting has never been smoother.
-I filled up twice already and I'm getting over 300miles for the tank
-The new bushings all around the car was a nice maintenance task for the car
-The Quaife LSD is amazing at launches

Not so nice things
-The solid engine mounts are not terrible but I can hear the valves moving and I can now pinpoint the loose stuff in my car...
-My exhaust is now hitting the 4pt chasis brace (gonna switch my MD midsection)
-The idle is sometimes crazy, it revs up and down, but it'll settle if I maintain it at 1.5k rpm after a few secs. Everyone must think I'm trying to race or show off, which is quite embarrassing to say the least.
-Throttle is extremely sensitive
-The exhaust fumes are much more pungent now
-My real time MPG and Miles Remaining are completely off now

Hopefully the bad things will go away and more power can extracted out of the car when we finalized the tuned and put all the parts on.

It seems like the VQ motor, no matter what you do to it, moves really good after 3000rpms (almost like vtec), maybe its just the nature of the beast

You still have the OEM TB right? Its not bored out? Any reason to why its much more sensitive than before, In the tune maybe?

So those charts are pretty much prelimanary results? (Actually just to shut everyone up for now, until we all want MORE)

MOARRRR!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:18 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by allmotorsedan
It seems like the VQ motor, no matter what you do to it, moves really good after 3000rpms (almost like vtec), maybe its just the nature of the beast

You still have the OEM TB right? Its not bored out? Any reason to why its much more sensitive than before, In the tune maybe?

So those charts are pretty much prelimanary results? (Actually just to shut everyone up for now, until we all want MORE)

MOARRRR!!!!!!!
The TB is still OEM and not bored out, since we may have some plans later on. I'm not really sure exactly why the throttle is so sensitive, but I'm sure it's something that can be resolved by the tuning. You should have seen me drive around the first 10mins, could have given myself a whiplash...

Yeah these are preliminary results for now and the ones that people are more interested in since it gives a good comparison on the parts. The test was fairly well controlled and were tested almost on the same day, except for the LTH since that took a while to install. Each tests consisted of three pulls and a reset of the learned fuel scheduled.

Originally Posted by Zazz93
Is that 350 at the wheels in the later graphs? Either way 331 whp (unfinalized) is an enormous feat in its own right. However, I must say I was expecting Cozy intake to give a little more on top (compared to the MREV and MD spacer).

I did have another question, the way the car is set up (aside from the stroking) I would imagine it would like a little more revs, but it looks like its at its limit. Do you plan to push it any further (rev-wise) or do you guys feel your at the ceiling considering rod/piston ratios/speeds?

Congrats on putting together a great built!
Yeah the last one is 350 to the wheels and everything is tuned with 91 octane pump gas.

You also ask a very good question and this is something that I've talked with Rebello, Zcar and Sasha about since the testing that was done on the engine dyno (not shown here) has shown some interesting results with different intake parts. As in physical limitation for revving, Rebello said spinning the engine past 8k should not be a problem and I take his word for it.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:28 AM
kgkeen101

Congrats, hopefully you can smooth some of your cons out. You should use an idle air control valve, would help with the idle if you're not already using it. I used it on mine before going with the ITBs, makes idle rock solid all the time.

Last edited by kgkeen101; 03-28-2010 at 12:30 AM.

Quick Reply: 4.15L NA VQ Engine Build with Rebello and Zcargarge