Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

My e85 build

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 09:16 PM
slicnicz33

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My e85 build

Hello to all fellow Z owners out there! This is my first post ever on this page due to the fear of being flamed for any little comment. Anyways this is just a post for reference to the N/A enthusiast community.

My goal was to reach 300 ft lbs of torque by the end of N/A journey and 400 ft lbs by after F/I. Just something to strive for, then to take to the track for time attacks and to have a fun reliable car on and off the track with the ability to autoX or drive to work as a daily, that was my goal.

I've decided to post to give others a reference and to share my experience and the struggle to get more HP out of the DE without having to get a second Mortgage lol. Anyways I knew I was going to track my car so you will see other upgrades that don't add hp that I did to give myself a well rounded Z. One that can handle braking and cornering hard as well as hammering the throttle.

Anyways rebuild was professionally done at JMS racing in El Monte California , my friend and I pulled the motor and then stripped it before delivering the motor to try and reduce costs.

full "bottom end" rebuild on my vq35de,
Increased compression which gains no Hp but you DO gain a little bit of TQ about 10 ft lbs not much but it's something .
Upgrades

03 touring edition
Vq35de
155k on chassis
3k on rebuild

(Built the motor with the intention of boosting that is why I havnt done cams , headers, cats, aftermarket intake, head work, )

(I also ONLY has 5K into the MOTOR excluding other upgrades lol)

Tuned at Specialty Z in Chatsworth, CA

(Under the hood)
Motor ;

Cylinders Sleeved
11:1 CP Pistons
Manley h- rods
ARP head studs
Polished crank
Balanced assembly
Std mains
Std rod bearings
Thrust washers
Rebuilt cylinder heads
Oem oil pump
Head gasket kit
Bottom gasket kit
Timing kit
Oem water pump
Act pro-light clutch
Act pro-light flywheel
J2 racing duel core radiator
Misimoto thermostat
Catch can setup
5/16 plenum spacer
Jwt pop charger intake
Ngk double platinum
RC 440cc injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Ported/ polished upper and lower plenum
Ported and polish intake manifold

Suspension and brakes;

Megan racing street coilovers
Brembo brakes and rotors
Stainless Steel brake lines
Taniba rear toe camber arms

Exhaust ;

Megan racing 370 y pipe
Nismo mid pipe
Nismo muffler
Stock exhaust headers
Stock cats

Fluids ;

Purol 5w30
Redline 85w gear oil (transmission)
Redline 90w gear oil (differential)

Interior/ Exterior;

Shorty antenna
Motor skid plate
Window tint
Passenger window motor
Passenger door handle

Tires;
245/40/18 fronts
255/40/18 rears

Anyways I will post a link to my dyno video that has my hp output as well as my tq output.

I welcome all to comment , questions , trolls , enthusiasts , etc

My car isn't done this is just where I'm at now , I've had this car for 4 years now and I don't see myself selling it anytime soon , exspecailly with the prices I see on C-list of what a 03 goes for.

I ended up making 248 hp and 242 tq and I'm happy with that because my baseline was 215 hp and 198 tq ( keep in mind this is basically a stock motor , only bolt on I have is a jwt filter and 5/16 plenum spacer)

Last edited by slicnicz33; 09-12-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:53 AM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

why would you go with a de oil pump? That is a huge limiting factor in how high you can rev!
Old 07-19-2016, 06:26 AM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

Specialty Z is doing my tune Friday
Old 07-19-2016, 09:35 AM
slicnicz33

Originally Posted by Conway_160
why would you go with a de oil pump? That is a huge limiting factor in how high you can rev!

I agree it is a limiting factor, not the only one but it can starve the engine of oil at higher rpm then factory settings(6600), but I didn't raise my rev limit so I didn't see any point in getting a "higher volume output" oil pump, the reason I didn't raise it was because the graph showed peak hp at 6300 rpm, so i have some bottle necking issues that i need to work out, If i stay N/A I will swap the plenum, cats, headers then retune and see where I stand. further more I don't like to build things in pieces but rather sections. for example just picking one item to upgrade then a different component, like when you get coilers and then 2 months later you upgrades to SS lines , then 6 months later you upgrade brake fluid to increase boiling point and stopping power. Instead I would have acquired these things over the same time period but done the install in one weekend, if that makes sense but to each his own.

When I decide its time to increase the rev limit, I'm going to build the top end to avoid "floating a valve" and at that time I will also get a better oil pump and probably a oil cooler as well to not only keep my engine cooler on the track but to increase oil capacity to 5.5 quarts
Old 07-19-2016, 09:38 AM
slicnicz33

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
Specialty Z is doing my tune Friday
Ya I would of gone to churches but Specialty Z is way closer for me, and Sebastian is a great tuner and with osiris you cant go wrong there.

good luck! I hope you get the gains your looking for !
Old 07-19-2016, 09:47 AM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by slicnicz33
I agree it is a limiting factor, not the only one but it can starve the engine of oil at higher rpm then factory settings(6600), but I didn't raise my rev limit so I didn't see any point in getting a "higher volume output" oil pump, the reason I didn't raise it was because the graph showed peak hp at 6300 rpm, so i have some bottle necking issues that i need to work out, If i stay N/A I will swap the plenum, cats, headers then retune and see where I stand. further more I don't like to build things in pieces but rather sections. for example just picking one item to upgrade then a different component, like when you get coilers and then 2 months later you upgrades to SS lines , then 6 months later you upgrade brake fluid to increase boiling point and stopping power. Instead I would have acquired these things over the same time period but done the install in one weekend, if that makes sense but to each his own.

When I decide its time to increase the rev limit, I'm going to build the top end to avoid "floating a valve" and at that time I will also get a better oil pump and probably a oil cooler as well to not only keep my engine cooler on the track but to increase oil capacity to 5.5 quarts
Man, you should have still went with the revup, with a intake manifold and exhaust you can rev out to 7000-7100. Seems very silly not to spend the few extra dollars to get the rev up...but the each there own good luck good sir.

Last edited by Conway_160; 07-19-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:14 AM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

Never heard of Z people going to Church so making the long drive to Specialty
Old 07-29-2016, 12:10 AM
slicnicz33

Some photos that I found

Old 11-14-2016, 10:55 PM
slicnicz33

More photos