Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

07 VQ35HR Build Not Viable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 05:04 PM
Ryan35HR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 VQ35HR Build Not Viable?

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a 07 350z Track which has a VQ35HR motor.
I have been doing a bunch of research on modifications and tunes as I bought this with the plan on doing some mild modifications to get some more power out of it.

I just went to my tuner the other day and told him I had picked up a 350z HR (I have been taking my S15 Silvia to this tuner for 2 years) Asked him about mods for power and he basically said you can put on whatever bolt-ons but due to the ECU it would generally self learn itself back to a stock tune. Would this just be a matter of getting an aftermarket ECU to hold a tune and override the self-learn of the stock ECU or something?

Alot of other people in my local car community have also mentioned that the vq35hr is a pretty hard engine to get gains out of and usually have to spend heaps of coins to get much out of it at all.

I have browsed alot of N/A build threads and am seeing mixed opinions on the matter? I don't plan on going mental with power and wanted to keep in N/A as well. So have I picked the wrong car here in terms of modifying it? I would love approx 220-250rwkw (Not sure how much HP that equates to for reference im sorry)

Can anyone please help lift my spirits haha I am abit bummed out about this seemingly bad news.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:00 PM
coletrickle74

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

220rwkw is about the max you will get NA. Full bolt ons and a tune. Likely will fall a few short though
Old 02-16-2017, 06:06 PM
Ryan35HR

Originally Posted by coletrickle74
220rwkw is about the max you will get NA. Full bolt ons and a tune. Likely will fall a few short though
Fair enough man, that sounds reasonable and I would be content with that for a daily driver.

Any insight on the ECU stuff I mentioned coletrickle?

Appreciate the quick reply too man.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:26 PM
coletrickle74

None of them are cheap, but most people use Uprev.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:30 PM
coletrickle74

Just re-read the original post. No clue what hes talking about it resetting the tune. Adding parts doesn't do anything to the tune itself. You need software (Uprev) to edit the ECU "tune".

Adding intakes, exhaust, etc will give a VERY small amount of gains. But if you add those in with a tune most HR guys are in the 280-300hp range. (220rwkw is about 290hp)
Old 02-16-2017, 06:53 PM
Ryan35HR

Originally Posted by coletrickle74
Just re-read the original post. No clue what hes talking about it resetting the tune. Adding parts doesn't do anything to the tune itself. You need software (Uprev) to edit the ECU "tune".

Adding intakes, exhaust, etc will give a VERY small amount of gains. But if you add those in with a tune most HR guys are in the 280-300hp range. (220rwkw is about 290hp)
Yeah mad, I feel better now lol, yeah not sure man. He said he had tuned a few 350z's and after a tune the ecu would correct timing automatically as the car was driven basically negating any changes that were made. I might not be articulating it with the specific jargon but thats the impression I was left with. I thought going for an aftermarket ECU would help fix that problem up, but then i was thinking how would you even tune an factory ecu without some sort of aftermarket hardware anyways, so not sure 100% what he was referring too.