Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Got my Sunset Z today...Impression on winter driving.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 04:45 PM
Zman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my Sunset Z today...Impression on winter driving.

Finally after 7 and a half months of waiting and agonizing over my color choice, I have received my baby. She is a beauty...I have seen it before in person but everytime I see it it looks different. For some strange reason I think it looks better under artificial light (in the dealership show room and in the underground garage). Most people who have seen it under these conditions would disagree with me. It does not have the same lustre outside without the sun.

The weather has been nice the past few weeks with no snow. Guess what, we had icy rain and a 10 cm snow dump last night and I have to pick up my car this morning. I was obviously quite nervous driving it to my garage but decided to take the risk and drove it to my garage.

It was quite a drive. In addition to finally sitting in my car, the excitement of driving in on an icy and snow covered road expectedly cause me to sweat bullets and white knuckle it all the way home. My heart rate probably was never below 110 bpm. I almost did not make it out of the Nissan dealership. I got stuck in the middle of an intersection and cars were approaching and threatening to T-bone me as my rear wheels keep spinning inefffectively. I ease of the accelorator and...whoof...just barely made it onto the correct lane a crawling speed and once the tires had some grip I was on my way at 25-30 mph but the rear wheels keep slipping all the way home on partially icy areas which my front wheel drive Toyota with all season tires would normally coast over. It helps a lot to start the car from 2nd gear. I feel that the VDC does help re-direct my car and keeps repeatedly giving me warnings of "SLIP".

Got it to the garage in one peace. What a ride. I had the urge to go faster but not today. I think I would not have as much problem with proper snow tires. I would not recommend driving it in the snow with the stock summer tires (I have 18s).

What are your opinions about winter driving so far and what type of tires do you have?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:29 AM
premium

Well I drive mine through the winter with Michelin 225/40/18's on it but where I live we rarely get more than 3-4 inches of snow. Last year was no problem but i do hate driving the car with snows on it.....drives like a truck....also have some slip issues on
dry roads (slip light comes on) but am working on that.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:47 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some Blizzaks, the OEM tires are not meant for the cold and snow. If your on a budget, I can also recommend Sumitomo HTR+. I have them on my car now and they are a terrific cold weather performer. Congrats on the new Z!!
Old 11-18-2005, 05:14 AM
ML2000

Please Post some Pics, I just want to see the 06 in that color.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:09 AM
bikeguy67

Congrats on the new Zed!

Where in Canada do you live? I am in Edmonton. I currently have an S2000 but am considering the Z.

Would be great to talk to you about price, driving impressions, etc.

Good luck in the winter. My S is tucked away!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:35 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zman
What are your opinions about winter driving ?
350Z + snow = Hello telephone pole!
Old 11-18-2005, 12:19 PM
InSaNeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the purchase!

I prefer to not drive it in the winter, not because of traction but more because of salt and corrosion.
So I take out my FWD Acura.