Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Newbie looking for advice: Z vs Golf R32?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 09:02 AM
Kaitain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got rid of my '97 GTi VR6 for an '05 350Z (base model) so can comment generally on the VW's vs. the 350Z.

The performance of the GTi was peppy and fun with really good passing power at interstate speeds and the handling was surprisingly good for such a "compact" car. I also really love the austere interior of my old GTi. I'm more of the kind of person that takes stuff off of a car instead of gluing do-dads onto it so that kind of minimalism suites me.

Unfortunatly the previously world class quality of VW's has really gone down horribly in the last 8 years. They may SEEM nice but once you get them out of the show room and start driving them you will find little things breaking left and right (I stopped buying seat adjuster ***** after the 3rd one broke). You would think the newer ones would be better but just the opposite is true. The 02-05's are plauged with defective parts (e.g. $400 MAF's not covered under warrenty). When I traded in my Golf it needed at least $2000 in repairs to be fully drivable and I wasn't about to start digging that money pit.

With such an abysmal quality record of late it's kind of laughable that they are trying to sell a $100,000 Passat...

In addition no one but VW mechanics will work on them because VW has its own proprietary diagnostics system (VAG-COM?) that is accessed through the standard ODB-II plug. This more often means an expensive trip to a dealer mechanic than with other cars.

And finally the VW's gas milage isn't so great in comparison. I averaged about 25mpg with my GTi while in my 350 I'm getting almost 23mpg. For the extra 117hp I'll pay for the extra gas.

I do miss the cavernous hatchback of the Golf and the reasonably comfortable back seats, I won't be moving any more 32'' TVs and my 3 x 10'' woofers had to go, but the pure fun of the 350Z just can't be beat.

I've only had my Z for less than a week so I'm still learning the ins and outs of it but so far I'm in LOVE! It's fun as hell to drive, has oodles of power, and has great handling. I forgot how much fun rear drive cars are and the cornering is like being on rails compaired to the Golf.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:06 AM
Benzo

I dumped my Z for a R32 and have never looked back. The quality of teh Z was horrible and the R32 holds its value a lot better. R32s with 15k on them are going through wholesale auctions at $27k ....not bad for a car that is going on 2 years old. I still like the lines of the Z, but the R32 is hands down a much better car IMO.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:31 AM
Clapton9286

Originally Posted by Benzo
I dumped my Z for a R32 and have never looked back. The quality of teh Z was horrible and the R32 holds its value a lot better. R32s with 15k on them are going through wholesale auctions at $27k ....not bad for a car that is going on 2 years old. I still like the lines of the Z, but the R32 is hands down a much better car IMO.
Except when you race.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:53 AM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by Clapton9286
Except when you race.
+1 , Except on straights and twists. And when you want to admire its beauty.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:58 AM
Benzo

Bring on the twisties and the straights..... even add rain if you would like... I have emabarassed a few local Zs

Last edited by Benzo; 09-02-2005 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:07 AM
Clapton9286

No you haven't, that's a downright lie! I've raced plenty of R32's and none of them were close, so unless you are a superb driver or a decent one with some mods, it's nearly impossible. Unless of course these local Z's couldn't drive...

And isn't the Z/G the highest in resale value in its price range?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:15 AM
Benzo

The R is slightly modded no FI, but these cars are capable of mid to high 13s with only a chip and intake. It is definetly a drivers race .

As for value the Z has soften quite a bit ...I am in the auto business and the Z is relatively soft. I could sell my 9K mile R32 for $29K tomorrow...sticker new was $30,625....that is holding its value.

I mean no disrespect to you Z owners as I was an owner myself.... the R works for better for me and I like german engineering.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:30 AM
Clapton9286

However...have I read the statistics wrong? Everywhere on here (and various other places) rate the Z as having one of the highest, if not THE highest resale value. The thing people don't like about VWs, at least around here, is the fact that they are expensive to maintain (everyone I know with them, minus a Passat, complains).

Eh, you found your car, I found mine. However, stock v stock, it's the Z.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:48 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the 2000 Jetta and feel the same way as you. plastic materal is peeling. THe cup holder over the cd player was an idiotic decision since you can't see to operate the CD, the dripping drives me crazy. My driver window just feel down into the door cavity and shattered while I was on the highway (it wasn't a recall but is only fixed when this known problem happens. Thanks volkswagon for the heart attack I nearly had on the damn highway!) Basically, german cars used to be ranked at the top of the reliabilty list, in the past few years, the japanese have gone to the number 1, 2, and 3 ranking while the germans have been slipping in the ranks. Shows you that the Japanese are changing the game.

And for the original poster that think the interior of the Z is not as good as the volkswagon... I guess from what I described at the top, I disagree with your view

Originally Posted by bloodwings19
The 2001 GTi 1.8T was one of the worst cars we've owned. The turbo blew in just 2 years, then power windows don't roll up. Abnormal wear on the driver's side door handle, plastic peeling. Dangerously, after starting the car, the dashboard does not light up at night, which meant driving in the dark for a few minutes before the lights came back on. A guy who drives a VW SUV complained about his numerous pitstops at the dealership for repairs. One of the hideous design I've seen on a car, the cup holders are on top of the CD player. So when you want to listen to a different CD, you have to hold your drink and pop the cupholder back in. Thats not the end of it, If you have a cold drink on a hot day, it will drip on the CD player and on the AC adapter below. When we traded our car, the mechanic who inspected the vehicle broke the glove compartment lever. The best thing about driving German cars is the firmness of the steering wheel and safety. A week, or two ago, we got a recall notice from VW (and we disown the car for 6 months now). That's my experience with VW, as for BMW, where is it made?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:49 AM
Benzo

Most VWs are built in Mexico and thus have quality problems....R32s are built in Germany. I still think stock v stock would be a drivers race... the R32 is AWD.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:54 AM
Clapton9286

I mean we all have Z horror stories, but i've never heard of VW/audi being up there with reliability, at least recently.

So a car that weighs (approx) 3400 lbs, with 240hp and 236lbft of torque...makes a DRIVERS race with the Z? Are you sure?

http://www.internetautoguide.com/car...olkswagen/r32/

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coup...406_first_r32/

From that we gather that 0-60 is 5.9 seconds, compared to some Z times of anywhere between 5.4 and 5.7...meaning, that even if you take a rather conservative look, you'd need a very good driver to make up for that .4-.5 difference, or an OK difference if the driver in the Z is subpar.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Benzo

If you live in Honey Brook PA we can see exactly which car is faster.....
Old 09-02-2005, 08:05 AM
Clapton9286

Ooooh, big man. That's alright, I go to school in Philadelphia, which is where I am until Thanksgiving. So no thanks. I also don't tend to waste gas when its 3.20 a gallon.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:14 AM
ZlleH

My source says 3,330 pounds for the 2002 R32, but still... 3,330 pounds for a golf!? What is it made out of? Granite?
Old 09-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Racer Z
Banned

A VW GOLF?? I CAN'T SAY "HELL NO!!" FAST ENOUGH..... AUDIS ARE COOL, BUT VW'S MAKE ME ILL!

IF YOUR BUDGET IS <$30k ...GO WITH A NEW BASE MODEL Z OR USED ENTHUSIAST MODEL Z...AND YES, AVOID THE USED '03 Z'S!
Old 09-02-2005, 09:45 AM
spacemn_spiff

I like german engineering.
Its more re-engineering than engineering.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:52 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Its been 6 months since you joined the formum.

Which car did you buy?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:17 AM
milanista

To each his own, of course, but I guess if you like to drive a toaster on 4 wheels, then you got yourself the perfect car. Those cars remind me of those cars you see at the circus, used by clowns. Every time I see one pulling to the curb to park, I expect to see a bunch of clowns get out of it, you know, like at the circus where they stuff 10 clowns in a little bitty car and they all get out to get laughs from the crowd. Quick advice: if as you said you can sell your car with 9K miles on it for $1000 less than what you paid (taxes and doc fees notwithstanding), you should sell it right away. But you should know that, since you're in the auot business....
Old 09-02-2005, 10:18 AM
elms350Z

To be honest I like the interior of the Z. Yes, it has a lot of plastic like most American cars but the layout is superb. You get the "feel" of a race car cockpit, and the seats are really snug. Of course it's all personal preference, but even with the lesser quality it is well designed. I have never never been inside a R32 but im sure the quality is great. All in all, just ask yourself do you want a "sports car" or not?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Badfish25

I had nothing but problems with my 04 golf 1.8, Owned it for 6 months and took it in 4 times once for something minor 3 times for "major" things. the R32 might be a litle better as it's built in germany instead of mexico...but that might have changed.
either way the r32 is WAY overpriced for what you get. Even if you decide to not get the Z DON"T get the r32. VW does not have a good rep.
And as far as resale on the r32...think again. When back in march you could get a new 04 r32 for 32K I beleive, and they had another used one on the same lot 04' with almost no miles for a good 8K less...retail.

As for the Z, I LOVE IT. Not one problem and don't expect many over the next few years. The power is GREAT and the MPG isn't to bad either. Styling can't be beat IMO and RWD is FUN. If your wife is partial to the Z though this is probably a moot point....you always gotta get what the wife likes.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking for advice: Z vs Golf R32?