Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Gotta newbie question about choosing my Z or G...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:30 PM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gotta newbie question about choosing my Z or G...

I am in Houston, TX. I am debating between the Z and G. I have done some searches and FAQs but they weren't specific enough. I know the look thing is my own opinion. I know about the back seat. I know the G is heavier and makes for a more comfortable ride. I am looking for specifics like which trim packages are the best for the money. Does VDC really matter? Does one trim level offer an LSD? Is the LSD any good? Is one year better than another? I would like to buy used so that I don't feel like I have cheated myself out of too much warranty and so that I can mod as soon as possible. I am planning to turbo the car but I would like to burn out my warranty for at least a year. That year will probably be spent on wheels and audio. I love the aftermarket and building my cars but I have no intention of building an all-out drag monster or roadcourse dominator. 500 at the wheels will be good enough for most of the time. Does lowering my car or swapping out the suspension void any warranty? I have about 350 questions more but that should be good enough for now. I may just buy the first thing I see in black with a six speed. Any help is much appreciated. Also, to people in Houston area, what happened to the street scene? It totally disappeard since I sold my ZTT. Do people still meet anywhere or is that over since the K-Mart bust? I live in a weird area where Katy, Cy-Fair, and Copperfield all run into each other near Hwy 6 and Little York if there are any local things going on.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:39 PM
alienx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good questions. I think the LSD is in all but the base Z (not sure about the G). I liked the G a lot. I tested the auto and was pleasantly surprised by the power. But when it came right down to it, I am single and wanted the two seat sports car. Not that I rememeber the G's back seat being worth anything.

On the G side, the interior was very nice. But having said that, you can see that there are simply two different personalities of these "brothers."

It reall should come down to which type of car you want more. A two seat sports car, or a luxury sport-coupe.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:44 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TK2005
I am in Houston, TX. I am debating between the Z and G. I have done some searches and FAQs but they weren't specific enough. I know the look thing is my own opinion. I know about the back seat. I know the G is heavier and makes for a more comfortable ride. I am looking for specifics like which trim packages are the best for the money. Does VDC really matter? Does one trim level offer an LSD? Is the LSD any good? Is one year better than another? I would like to buy used so that I don't feel like I have cheated myself out of too much warranty and so that I can mod as soon as possible. I am planning to turbo the car but I would like to burn out my warranty for at least a year. That year will probably be spent on wheels and audio. I love the aftermarket and building my cars but I have no intention of building an all-out drag monster or roadcourse dominator. 500 at the wheels will be good enough for most of the time. Does lowering my car or swapping out the suspension void any warranty? I have about 350 questions more but that should be good enough for now. I may just buy the first thing I see in black with a six speed. Any help is much appreciated. Also, to people in Houston area, what happened to the street scene? It totally disappeard since I sold my ZTT. Do people still meet anywhere or is that over since the K-Mart bust? I live in a weird area where Katy, Cy-Fair, and Copperfield all run into each other near Hwy 6 and Little York if there are any local things going on.
You definitely have alot of questions. I know you tried the search, but keep playing with it. It's doubtful that anybody is going to be able to (or willing to) answer all of your questions, and you're not asking anything new, so do some digging.

The questions about VDC, Trim levels, model differences, year variances, LSD quality, warranty concerns, etc have all been asked here a thousand times, you just gotta dig 'em up.

I do need to comment on your statement "I have no intention of building an all-out drag monster or roadcourse dominator. 500 at the wheels will be good enough for most of the time." This is mildly amusing. 500 RWHP in this car is a HUGE deal and will cost you thousands and thousands of dollars. The VQ35DE is no Honda engine and bolt-ons alone can't safely get you anywhere near that range. Spend some time in the F/I section and get a feel for just what you're dealing with if a 500 RWHP is your requirement. You may find that there are more appropriate options than the Z/G.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:35 PM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am curious as to what you would suggest for 500 rwhp for near $40K which would be the cost of the car with $20K in mods. I am not rich or anything but over time I am sure I will spend $20K in mods. I have priced the turbo plus necessary hardware and installation for near $10K. I can always ride around at 7-8 psi until I go back later to have engine work done to support the higher horsepower.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:56 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TK2005
I am curious as to what you would suggest for 500 rwhp for near $40K which would be the cost of the car with $20K in mods. I am not rich or anything but over time I am sure I will spend $20K in mods. I have priced the turbo plus necessary hardware and installation for near $10K. I can always ride around at 7-8 psi until I go back later to have engine work done to support the higher horsepower.
I'd suggest a nice used Viper GTS.

Anyway, my point was that there are only a handful of folks here (a SMALL handful) that are at or even near 500 WHP, and I'll bet most of them have a LOT more than 20K in aftermarket into their cars.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you. A 500 WHP Z would be a kick-@$$ toy, it's just that in todays world, it's a very rare thing. Even the F/I experts here are still figuring out the VQ35's limits.

The basic (and I mean basic) price list for a 500 WHP Z:

The car (let's say you get a used Perf. model): $23K
TT kit (We'll say GReddy because all the high HP Z's seem to be using it right now): $9K installed and tuned
TT kit accessories (guages, ignition harnesses, e-01, etc, etc.) $2K
Forged Rods and LC Pistons: $2K
Clutch (You got power, you need grip): $2K
Wheels/tires: $3K
Exhaust (Gotta flow better than stock with 500 WHP): $1K

You're at $42K without any other mods, or the labor to do the clutch and engine build which will run several K... Not too far over, but I'm probably conservative in my guesstimates. If you're doing it over time, it won't sting so bad, but it wouldn't happen over night, and it takes a tuner that REALLY knows the car to get it that high with any hint of safety.....

Good luck to ya! 500 WHP is a great goal!