Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Z vs. the rest( srt-4/evo/eclipse/rx8.etc)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 07:31 PM
bdrose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z vs. the rest( srt-4/evo/eclipse/rx8.etc)

need more input here fellas...i keep reading how this srt-4 is faster than the z...whats the deal? im talking...comparing apples to apples---stock vs stock...is there any competition for the Z?? if so...which vehicle and how?

i spoke to an '06 db owner 2nite..said he has whooped them all..including srt-4...his db is all stk also...

i think this is an important thread for all z owners..lets gather some knowledge...i know this may be somewhat of a repeat perhaps..but someone always has something new to say...

'06 MB owner...400 miles to break-in
Old 02-28-2006, 09:06 PM
trehlo

As a former heavily modified WRX owner and a new 06 Touring owner with only about 430 miles on the car, you will likely lose to a good amount of other stock vehicles out there. Some races may be close, but others probably not so much.

I used to play with EVO's and STI's all of the time, they will beat a Z stock for stock, especially street light to street light. They own the first 100 feet with a good launch. If you can get them started at a high speed roll, you may stand a chance.

A stock SRT-4 runs really low 14's to high 13's, you may be able to edge one out depending on the driver, but again, it will be close and a $30 used boost controller later and he will walk you all day long.

New Mustang GT's are also a problem.

Eclipses should be a non-issue, as should RX8's.

Enjoy the car for what it is, I know I am. Save your money, and if all you really care about is winning races, start saving for some form of FI.

-Dennis
Old 03-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Hypnoz

trehlo hit it spot on.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:22 AM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

Originally Posted by trehlo
As a former heavily modified WRX owner and a new 06 Touring owner with only about 430 miles on the car, you will likely lose to a good amount of other stock vehicles out there. Some races may be close, but others probably not so much.

I used to play with EVO's and STI's all of the time, they will beat a Z stock for stock, especially street light to street light. They own the first 100 feet with a good launch. If you can get them started at a high speed roll, you may stand a chance.

A stock SRT-4 runs really low 14's to high 13's, you may be able to edge one out depending on the driver, but again, it will be close and a $30 used boost controller later and he will walk you all day long.

New Mustang GT's are also a problem.

Eclipses should be a non-issue, as should RX8's.

Enjoy the car for what it is, I know I am. Save your money, and if all you really care about is winning races, start saving for some form of FI.

-Dennis
beautiful speech...
Old 03-01-2006, 01:06 AM
Fa1rLadyZ

depends on your driving skill. if you are against awd go from roll. srt 4 is not that big of a deal until they start putting some **** into it. raced one of my friend's srt 4 and beat him by 1 1/2 car.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:05 AM
bdrose

How Is This Possible?? We Have This Awesome 300hp Machine..and We Have To Succeed To Neons?
Old 03-01-2006, 11:21 AM
EVOL 8

Originally Posted by bdrose
How Is This Possible?? We Have This Awesome 300hp Machine..and We Have To Succeed To Neons?
forced induction.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:26 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

300hp is really a marketing thing... Put your Z on a quality Dyno and you will be surprised just how how few HP you really have in a car with average weight.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:31 AM
DomZ

First of all, take the SRT-4, Evo, and Eclipse out of the equation. None of those are sports cars. Discuss.

[/startcrap]
Old 03-01-2006, 11:55 AM
bdrose

well..they are...they may be ugly...but the are sports cars...just cuz they have 4 doors doesnt necessarily make it not a sports car...granted the Z is 10x better lookin than any of those cars..ive never driven in any or those others either..but the Z drives awesome..and its looks clearly distinguish itself from the rest...since the highways arent exactly racetracks anyways..guess its ptls...not to mention..i have caught several drivers of these other cars eyeball f$cking my car. Its a Z's world..those others are forced to live in it.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Mantis3024

well..they are...they may be ugly...but the are sports cars...just cuz they have 4 doors doesnt necessarily make it not a sports car...granted the Z is 10x better lookin than any of those cars..ive never driven in any or those others either..but the Z drives awesome..and its looks clearly distinguish itself from the rest...since the highways arent exactly racetracks anyways..guess its ptls...not to mention..i have caught several drivers of these other cars eyeball f$cking my car. Its a Z's world..those others are forced to live in it.
i disagree
STi- rally car
EVO8- rally car
RX8- sports car
350z- sports car
SRT4- neon
Old 03-01-2006, 12:22 PM
bdrose

well ok...if u want to call them rally cars..fine..but its just disturbing that we lose to those folks unless modded...altho..at the end of the race..even if on the losing end..our car still looks better than theirs.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:49 PM
trehlo

Originally Posted by DomZ
First of all, take the SRT-4, Evo, and Eclipse out of the equation. None of those are sports cars. Discuss.
Originally Posted by Mantis3024
i disagree
STi- rally car
EVO8- rally car
RX8- sports car
350z- sports car
SRT4- neon
Call them whatever you would like, that does not change the fact that you will end up alongside one at one point or another and most of them will walk you stock for stock.

His initial post was not "Which 2 door, front engine, rear wheel drive cars do we need to watch out for?" it was a very broad, "How does the Z stack up against other cars on the road?". In fact, the word "sports" isn't even mentioned in his post. Disqualifying vehicles based on your personal definition of the word "sports car" does not make them any less of a threat should you line up against one.

No doubt the Z is the best looking car mentioned in this thread so far, it's exactly why I purchased it, but that just means we get to look good losing to a "neon" with a boost controller. Sorry.

-Dennis

Last edited by trehlo; 03-01-2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:52 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The question is one of the most popular on the forum, and generally asked by new 350Z owners. Its an interesting question, but more importantly, the wrong question. More significant is are you a better driver than the SRT-4 driver? And the only way to figure that out is to go to the dragstrip and compete.

Last edited by davidv; 03-01-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by Mantis3024
i disagree
STi- rally car
EVO8- rally car
RX8- sports car
350z- sports car
SRT4- neon

By your definition, the RX-8 is NOT a sports car. It has 4 doors.

Either way, your point isn't even relevant to what the original poster was talking about. Nice try though. And the SRT-4 is a "sport compact" if you really want to classify it. So is the STI/EVO. Obviously you have something against the SRT-4 (probably hate them because they are as fast as you) by calling it a "neon". Why didn't you put evo - lancer sti- impreza? They can't even by rallied stock.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Hypnoz

davidv-

I've seen Z's here in AZ run mid-low 15s over and over. Doesn't prove much. Conditions, driver, and tires make the biggest differences.

Usually SRT-4's trap higher than Z's because their top end is better.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Hypnoz

dblpst
Old 03-02-2006, 09:54 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For most of us the Z is about more than a street drag race.