Three Fitty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sean1967
get a rollcage
Old 03-03-2006, 05:48 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

More Good Advice:

Keep a good supply of Rubbers Young Man.. the Z Drives women Wild.

Keep it spotless and take care of it, women hate a dirty car, even a Z.

Spend the $200-$600 on defensive driving and even AutoX driving classes. If you are going to have the car, be realistic and learn how to handle it properly. You might think you have it down now, but would $200 seem so much to pay to avoid loosing an arm, your friend or your own life?

Rain is very dangerous above 65mph in a RWD with 8"+ wide rear tires. Never speed in the Rain or on wet roads.

Keep a safe distance from other drivers. I usually keep 1 car length back from the person in front of my for every 10mph as a minimum. I give about 100 yards on the interstate. Give yourself some breaking distance incase someone in front does something stupid, if you hit someone its your fault legally, even if they screwed up.

Passing & lane changes: ALWAYS turn your head and look to make sure there are no cars in the way. Your mirrors are the first thing to check, but a blind spot can catch you off guard. ALWAYS double check with a quick head turn. When passing in rain, never "drop the hammer" and go full throttle. Ease in to it. I wound up going sideways down the interstate on a pass on wet roads. I was able to recover, but I easly could have crashed.

Burn outs and Dougnuts: Be sure there are no Curbs, Pot Hole, Poles, People or other cars for atleast 75ft in any direction from you when you do it. Busted rims are enspensive, smacking a pole that you didn't anticipate would be in the way is even worse.

I am sure there is some other advice I could offer up, But I will have to thinkn of it, as it seems almost common sense anymore, but I just didn't have that knowledge when I was 17.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:26 AM
Jonathan Allyn

There is no way I could ever have been responsible enough to own a z when I was 17. I didnt even have a license until I was 18 and still managed to wreck my first car (83 toyata corolla) into a tree on a wet road by my house. Its much better to start off with a beater then move up down the road. My brother is 20 and when he was 19 bought a 240sx with an SR20 conversion in it. He is a good driver now but still managed to wreck his car while learning how to control a RWD car with that much power.

My Z is third sports car I have owned and is by far the most fun/dangerous car I have owned to date. Its like learning how to swim. You can have a lot of fun in the water but you always have to respect what it can do to you if your being careless.

One thing that helped me out was figuring out that you can move the rear view mirror down so you can see out the back window better. Get the enthus. or above because the traction control makes a BIG difference on the wet roads.

Take your time learning where the threshold is with the throttle and where the backend brakes loose. It can get away from you so be careful not to show off for the girls to much while your learning the limits of the car.

Take a driving course!! Thats some great advice. Learn from the pro's. Let those who have already made the mistakes show you what to do and what not to do and have fun. Its by FAR the best car I have ever owned!!

JA
Old 03-03-2006, 10:04 PM
PREDATOR

cut the kid some slack
your telling me if any of you boring old farts had the chance to own a 350z at 17 you'd knock it back

who gives a sh*t

enjoy it lad, take care and maybe you'll get an Aston Martin when your 21

I'm off for a drive
Old 03-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Alang35

the G was my first sports car so my advice is get whatever Z model has the safety features like vdc. i came from a 1989 volvo so i like tripled my horsepower. i always drive with VDC on.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:34 AM
Nukiz0r
350Z-holic

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default A little bit off subject....

Im not a Z owner yet, however as a father I just want to say that if I had the chance to buy my son a nice car, I probably would too. However, I might look into one that stresses safety features first. I am not rich; I work overseas in afghanistan, and I do make great money, but I sacrifice seeing my family for long amounts of time. And of course, there is that ever present danger or being sniped, or hit with a rocket or mortar, but I digress. Right now I have the opportunity to provide great things for my family, and if Im still in that kind of position when my son gets older, I would do the same.

No reason to hate.. so long as "kid" at least attempts to drive responsibly. I remember when I was a teen, I wrecked my car, and it wasnt anything impressive, just an old f-150. I wouldnt be surprised if it gets wrecked, but this seems to be common when teen+testerone meet the street. I might not be a Z owner (yet), but I've driven several cars, from a police cruiser, to a turboed supra. So the best advice I can give you is, enjoy your car, and give yourself ample time to learn it. No matter what youve driven before, every car is different, so take some time to learn how it responds in various conditions. If you can, do it under controlled conditions. If you wanna go fast, go to a track or some other controlled event.

Oh, and dont get suckered. Sports cars are magnets for others who want to show how big their dicks are. They'll drive up to and try to antagonize you into a highway chase, or rev at'cha at a light to get you to run with em. Dont fall for it. I cant preach cuz i've done all these things and more, but I can tell ya, the more you flirt with disaster, the quicker disaster will come to you.
If you can, find a fwd to use if youre in a snow/rainy area. Plus they are fun to try to drift with/powerslide. Hope this helps ya some.

ps.. One last bit of advice.. when you decide you do want to start going fast, slow down going up hill, cops hide on the other side (I know that one from experience on both sides). Also, one cop might be a bait (so that you slow down then punch it once out of sight), the one a half mile down the road, might be the one actually shooting radar. Stay outta the left lane, if you can safely. If youre gonna speed, and lets face it, most of us do, be careful, a little bit faster than the flow of traffic's ok, but 30 or 40... nuh uh.. no way.

The best advice I can possibly give you: Do NOT drive beyond your capabilities. Know your limitations, and your cars, and dont drive beyond them. A strength in one can only compensate so much for a lack in the other.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:41 AM
bimmerguy2006

Originally Posted by indierock
How come it seems that pretty much EVERYONE on this forum is jealous of young kids with z's? Stop being jealous b/c his family has more to offer than yours does. I get SICK AND TIRED of hearing the same B.S. from people on this forum just b/c a parent bought a z for their kid. Now keep in mind that I come from a poor family so NO i didn't have my mom or dad buy me a Z, I actually bought it myself. With that being said I want to spoil my children and give them things that I never had when I grew up however I will do it modestly. If i'm rich I wont buy them a porsche, but a Nissan will do.

So in closing can everyone here just please STOP FUC*** hating?
These threads kill me. The reason why there is hate amongst the older owners is because of the number of stupid your drivers destroying thier Z's because of erratic driving or trying to race, etc. They would rather see a Z wind up in a happy healthy home rather than getting trashed on the way to school. And you also have to remember, most members of this site own or are soon to own a z, so technically they already have the car.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:26 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

by the way, be sure & get side airbags.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:55 AM
joe42

Safety first!!!!!!!!!!!! i happen to agree with the guys, saying you should take at least a driving course.... actually i would recommend one to every Z driver. just be carefull, think before you push the Z to it's limit and get the vdc, it might save your live!!! i'm planning on taking a corse in the next 2 months, after my Z finally arrives, i want to learn to drift it right, drive to it's limits without the vdc... you only get that in courses.... don't try things on parking lots etc, especially on the road... you're likely to hurt yourself, which is bad luck, bur you might hurt others... that's the shi*
Old 03-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,029 Likes on 786 Posts

heres some noteworthy advice.....

pay all your high school buddies back the money you owe
dont have a gf
dont let people ride with you
write a will, someone will want your abercrombie hat collection

all of that in preparation for your death..........you dont want to die owing money, break your gf heart, or kill your best friend and ruin his families life. (which will also put your parents in trouble)

^hoped that helped

but heres some stuff to ponder........

take it easy, looked fwd to you contributing to the forum.
are you a car guy by any chance?

now for the good advice:

high octance gas, use it
do your own oil change!
wash and wax regularly
do your own brake work
autocross it
let your dad drive it
dont go asking if "you race for pinks"
stay away from altezza lights
dont expect much from bolt ons
get a black ineterior!
dont get bose, it really does suck, i htought it was good until the sub starts to punch ya in the back and adds no bass, just a punch in the back like youre being burped
do a proper break in
treat her right and shell reward you

oh, and dont be a dumbass and dent your fenders in the first month, i see to many new cars like that. Be careful of backing up outta parking lots and lane changes. Until you learn the car, be extremely careful.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:08 AM
aonic

Originally Posted by 350Z_KID
I wont wreck and smash the car because if get a huge speeding ticket, my dad sells the car, and if he finds out about me driving stupidly, he wont let me drive to school.
that didn't stop Forbidden Donut from wrecking his dad's Z

but good luck! dont get the base..
Old 03-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Z33Concept

Originally Posted by 350Z_KID
What's up,
Im new to this site because I was just looking for some 350Z forums. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice.

Im turning 17 in April, and I my parents are buying me a 2006 350Z Base for my birthday. Could anyone give me any advice on the car.

Please post anything, photos, links, comments about the car

P.S. If anyone has bi-xenon headlights, how are they? Im dying to see what they are like on my car, but i dont have till April.

LOL This is funny can the fuccking man get a non ******* respond plz.... who gives a fucck if hes 17.. I ****in know a 15 year old who got a ZR before she could even ****ing drive who cares its a car. I suggest the Enth bro
Old 03-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Vick781

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I dont like young Z drivers but here (hope this helps you along the way)

* Always wear your seat belt--and make sure all passengers buckle up, too.
* Adjust your car's headrest to a height behind your head--not your neck--to minimize whiplash in case you're in an accident.
* Never try to fit more people in the car than you have seatbelts for them to use.
* Obey the speed limits, Going too fast gives you less time to stop or react. Excess speed is one of the main causes of teenage accidents.
* Don't run red lights.
* Use turn signals to indicate your intention to turn or to change lanes. Turn it on to give the cars behind you enough time to react before you take the action. Also, make sure the signals turns off after you've completed the action.
* When light turns green, make sure intersection clears before you go.
* Don't drive like you own the road; drive like you own the car.
* Make sure your windshield is clean. At sun rise and sun set, light reflecting off your dirty windshield can momentarily blind you from seeing what's going on.
* Drive into your garage straight, not on an angle. Another teen thought her car would straighten out before she got inside, but instead she dented the car and broke the molding on the garage.
* Make sure your car has gas in it. Don't ride around with the gauge on empty--who knows where you might get stranded.
* Don't drink and drive, and don't ride with anyone who has been drinking. Call parents or friends to take you home if you need a ride.
* Don't take drugs or drive if you've taken any. Don't ride with anyone who has been using drugs. Even some over the counter drugs can make you drowsy. Check label for warnings.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Vick781

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z33Concept
LOL This is funny can the fuccking man get a non ******* respond plz.... who gives a fucck if hes 17.. I ****in know a 15 year old who got a ZR before she could even ****ing drive who cares its a car. I suggest the Enth bro
English please Idiot!
Old 03-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Manjot

damit, one of these threads again! arrr
Old 03-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Manjot

get an auto
Old 03-05-2006, 08:14 PM
iwantaz123

Wow..way too many people hating on this kid. I'm 18, and i do own a Z. I got the z by working since the day i turned 15, and buying an eclipse, fixing that up, selling that, and now slowly fixing the Z i have (salvage). Yes it sucks to have a salvage title, but i wanted a z, and thats the only way i could afford it. I know it sucks to have to work your *** off for a 350z (well in my case) and thats why people hate 17 year olds who get there car bought for them. They didn't have to do anything to raise the money, and so on. It makes me proud that i paid for my Z, not my parents. Not to rip on you or anything, congratulations, but i know it feels good to drive a car i paid for. Good luck bro, just don't drive stupid and you'll be good.....oh yeah and not all teenagers drive like an ***...just a lot of them do
Old 03-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Havok_RLS2

I'm sorry I know this must sound rude but... Do your parent hate you?
I think you should ask you parents if they took out any new insurance policies on you that you don't know about before even accepting the keys of your new car.

Honestly though... I don't know anything about you. I mean for all I know you could have been driving since the age of 13(I was). But just in case your not hearing everyone else... I hope you'll hear me. It'll be cool being that cool dude in school with the hottest ride in the school parking lot. Your friends will test you and begg you to mash the hell out of it. You might even start hitting up the street races.... You'll begin to believe "you're the ****" when it comes to your so called "Mad Driving Skills" because you play GT4 all day long on your playstation. You'll forget about respecting this monster car for what it can do for what you think it can do. You'll make a mistake that the Z will not forgive you for... You might live through it. I did. Others not so lucky.

My point is... If you haven't spent any real time driving a HIGH POWER RWD car in all elements (Rain, snow, sleet, high winds, morning fog and other idiot driver just like you). Think about getting else. The others are right... YOU WILL WRECK IT. I'd bet your life on it.

My advice... Don't be stupid and Die.

Last edited by Havok_RLS2; 03-05-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My advise for these young drivers is don't try to be a bad a$s and show off to your friends and wreck the car......drive responsibly please our insurance rates are high enough as it is.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:42 AM
slambball88

okay, 75% of the replies here have crash mentioned in them somewhere along the lines...

If you do not have anything positive to say then dont reply at aLL!!!

The topic specifically states... "New 2006 350Z Advice for 17 year old"

he doesn't WANT negative feedback, keep it to yourself

peace

Act Your Age, and tell the kid something positive, not be jealous because a kid 20 yrs younger than you has a Z....

Last edited by slambball88; 03-06-2006 at 06:45 AM.

Quick Reply: New 2006 350Z Advice for 17 year old