Old 01-23-2008, 07:33 AM
rockinbboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are all k&n filters oiled?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:39 PM
dtm255

Default Recently install K&N Filter for '07 350z

I recently installed a pair of K&N Filter for '07 Z. I noticed smoother accelearation, but a tank of gas now runs almost 50 miles less. Is this normal. My friend witha '06 Z also installed K&N filter and experienced better mileage per gallon. Is it normal?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:51 PM
randysduality

yes they're all oiled, and the gas milage all depends on how hard or soft you drive your Z. If you're driving it harder and faster than before than you're going to experience lower gas milage.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:56 PM
SilverstoneZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the factory K&N filters are fine... but when people "recharge" them they over oil them and that causes the problem.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:21 PM
2007 Z

It's simply really. Don't over oil, and if you do then blow it off. Compressed air will blow harder on the filter than air ever will while in your airbox. There's a reason for the oil and it's a much better filter than a non-oiled filter, hands down. Not only does it let the engine breathe better, it filters the air better too.

But like anything else, it can be used incorrectly. When used incorrectly it can cause damage. I've used K&N filters for years and never had a problem with a MAF sensor, or anything else due to my filters. Make/Model of your car doesn't matter. Correct/Incorrect use of K&N oil does. Do it right or stick to paper.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:10 PM
jgregory124

Im thinking of add the kns thanks for the tip
Old 02-04-2008, 09:31 AM
ByReaL

If you ever have problems with your MAF... because of the oil filters, remember they are not broken they are just dirty, the sensor has oil on it and maybe some dust, so just buy something like isoprophilic alcohol , take the maf out, give it a good bath in that alcohol, and job done, (do not touch the sensor in any way - some people touch them in order to clean them better but you should know it is very sensitive so better not to)

or have a search on the internet how people clean the 300ZX MAF that they buy second hand.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:50 PM
CaliRN

Have been using a K&N filter both on the Z and my 4-WD. I drive the truck in some really dusty silty areas and have never had an issue with the K&N.
As mentioned before, the key is not to overoil it. I oil it, let it sit overnight and then wipe the oil off the plastic and am good to go. The 4-WD sites are full of dire warnings about the K&N but I don't know anyone who has had
a problem with them. Just my opinion. Clean the MAF if you need to with
MAF cleaner, just don't touch any of the wires inside it, be careful with the nozzle and you will be fine. Recently replaced the K&N with a popcharger which is the same technology (oiled filter) and have had no problems with that either.

CaliRN
Old 02-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Slidewayznizmo

Default Original Post on K & N filter.

So if the filter is over oiled, How much is too much.
Do you oil just the intake side.
So far this has caused my Murano to crack a manifold becuase of running lean, the car still isn't running like it used to and now it looks like I may have to replace the O2 sensors and spark plugs because they got too hot. I am already $600.00 in the hole over this crap. The air flow sensor was apparently damaged by this, Yes I did try to clean it more than once with just CRC mass airflow sensor cleaner. I sprayed the hell out of that thing without touching it with anything.
The dealer told me there was a Z in the shop with the same problem yesterday.
It would be nice if K&N would put out a better warning label not to over oil. Now I'm afraid it will damage my GTI too. It hasn't had a recharge yet.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:08 PM
finalforce

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was always considering this drop in for my Z, but had concerns with the oil. Great topic, although a great replacement, I'm still a bit skeptical.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:50 AM
2007 Z

...look on their website for directions...

http://www.knpowersports.com/clningins.htm

Originally Posted by knpowersports

K&N Air Filter Cleaning Instructions

1. APPLY CLEANER (SEE FIGURE 1)

FOLLOW ALL SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS ON THE K&N AIR FILTER CLEANER BOTTLE. IT IS RECOMMENDED TO UTILIZE K&N’S 32oz PUMP SPRAY CLEANER (P/N 99-0621) WHEN SERVICING LARGE OR DIESEL APPLICATION K&N AIR FILTERS.

Spray K&N Air Filter Cleaner onto both sides of the air filter until it completely saturates the pleated material.

A. Apply K&N Air Filter Cleaner to clean side of filter
B. Apply K&N Air Filter Cleaner to dirty side of filter

Allow cleaner to soak into both sides of air filter for 10 minutes to loosen the dirt. Do not let cleaner dry on air filter.

CAUTION: THE USE OF ANY OTHER CLEANING SOLUTION OR METHOD COULD DAMAGE THE FILTER!

2. RINSE (SEE FIGURE 2)

Rinse off air filter with cool low-pressure water. Allow gravity to flush dirt out of air filter by applying water to the clean side of the filter; up and down the length of the pleats.

Continue to rinse the filter until all traces of cleaner are gone. If the filter is extremely dirty it may be necessary to repeat steps 1 and 2. If there are spots of dirt remaining on the filter, spray each spot directly with cleaner, allow a few minutes for it to soak and repeat rinsing step.

3. DRY

After rinsing, gently shake off excess water and allow filter to dry naturally. Do not proceed to the oiling step until the filter is completely dry.

CAUTION: THE USE OF ANY OTHER DRYING METHODS (I.E. COMPRESSED AIR, DRYER HEATERS, HEAT GUNS) COULD DAMAGE FILTER.

4. OILING (SEE FIGURE 3)

RECOMMENDATION: FOR BEST RESULTS USE K&N AIR FILTER OIL.

Apply K&N Air Filter Oil liberally to the dirty side of the filter only. This will allow for a visual reference of complete coverage.

A. If using a K&N squeeze bottle, squeeze bead of oil along the crown of each pleat using the lip on the squeeze bottle tip as a guide. Utilize graduated view strip on bottle to dispense proper amount of oil.

B. If using a K&N aerosol spray, spray an even amount of oil along the crown of each pleat.

Wait 20 minutes for the oil to be absorbed into the filter media. Inspect the clean side of the filter for any areas that are lighter in color. Touch up these areas in the media by applying oil to the dirty side of the filter. Continue oiling procedure until there is an even red color over the entire surface of the clean and dirty side of filter.

5. FILTER INSTALLATION

Before reinstalling filter back into vehicle, inspect it for damage. Follow any and all specific installation instructions that came with the K&N Air Filter.

CAUTION: FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE K&N INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS COULD LEAD TO AN IMPROPER SEAL RESULTING IN POSSIBLE ENGINE DAMAGE. PLEASE CALL K&N CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-800-858-3333 OR ENTER YOUR K&N AIR FILTER PART ON OUR PART SEARCH PAGE FOR AVAILABLE AIR FILTER INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR YOUR VEHICLE.

To determine the amount of oil needed for your filter, enter your filter's K&N part number in the Search by Part box on our Application Search Page. If you don't know the part number you can look it up on the same page.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:59 PM
rockinbboy

Originally Posted by finalforce
I was always considering this drop in for my Z, but had concerns with the oil. Great topic, although a great replacement, I'm still a bit skeptical.
Yeah I am thinking if i want to invest in a K&N drop-in filter.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:10 PM
jgregory124

hmmmmmmm not sure if im ready for this mod.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:38 PM
spoolinbyu

K&N makes the filters for a lot of companys such as AEM. like numerous people have said if you over oil them they create a problem. MAF sensor's are very sensitive it is a good idea to clean them regualarly anyways just as a preventive step. kinda like you would'nt/ should'nt wait till your tires are bald. use the recharge kit in moderation and you will be fine.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:51 PM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
don't use over-oiled filters. Pretty simple.
fixed

used oiled filters on many vehicles, including two VQ35 engines and i never had a problem.

jim
Old 02-18-2008, 05:34 PM
cvt

K and N will back up their product!

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/MAFTestresults.htm

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm
Old 02-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over oil = Yahtzeeeeeeeeeeee!!
Old 02-18-2008, 05:39 PM
scmtkings4

how long before its necessary to re-oil the filters anyway?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:34 PM
jrivera

I have two cars w/ k&n filters, it''s simple just follow the instroctions that come w/filter. i never had problems, also you can,t blow k&n filters with compress air,you will damage your filter.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't have any problems with my K&N filter when I had it in

Quick Reply: K+N Filter warning!!!