Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

a couple of newb questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 08:10 PM
mr2fasterthanyo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a couple of newb questions

alright, sometime in the future (next summer probably) i will be looking for a new car.
after owning 2 mr2's, i am ready for something different.
i like the sti, but the z really interests me. Lots of room for improvement, and i am familiar with the nissan quality. The sti and wrx's just seem to have cut corners and thier interior definately leaves something to be desired.
the maxima's i own have never had any real problems and i love the new z....... so i am pondering a z in my future

a few questions:

what is the best Z forum? webpages?
any recall problems?
how well does it respond to upgrades?
any major maintance problems?
what is the best trim level for someone that road/drag/autocrosses? also that can do most of their own work?
i love the brembo brakes,but i would probably change out the wheels so i dont want to pay the extra for them......
the track one is just too expensive i think for what i want. but how about the performance? or what do you guys think?
i know the car is new, but how is the aftermarket? seems pretty damn good so far?
any other info would be great.

thanks
Brandon
Old 09-22-2003, 08:29 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your lookin at the best forum, largest member base anyway, another site I look at is www.nissannews.com, all the latest info from nissan, tho youll hear most of it here first.

no recalls, but there are a few TSBs, things such as a bose amp problem in the touring, grease streaks on the window, and in some cases there was an alignment problem resulting in tire feathering. these come fixed from the factory by now tho.

ATI procharger is pushing 360 to the wheels at like 7PSI, low 13s to high 12s. there is one NA car I read about in performance with 303hp NA, intake exhaust ect.

no maintnence problems, just do your oil changes and your good to go.

trim level depends on you, if you plan to swap tires track isnt worth it, theres better aftermarket brake kits out there anyway(and replacement track rims cost an arm and a leg, more than forged rims). touring is more luxury with better sound and leather. performance is track minus rims, brakes, and aero(which can be added as an option)

enthusiast gives up the VDC and tire pressure monitor, as well as the 18" rims. its a bit lighter.

base is great for straight racing, first thing it needs is an LSD tho, but no Cruise control, or HID, or much of anything else.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:50 PM
350zroadster

>>what is the best trim level for someone that road/drag/autocrosses? also that can do most of their own work?

probably the lowest you want to consider is Enthu. YOu get some luxury items with Touring, but it weighs it down.

>>i love the brembo brakes,but i would probably change out the wheels so i dont want to pay the extra for them......
the track one is just too expensive i think for what i want. but how about the performance? or what do you guys think?

Then don't get the Track trim

>>i know the car is new, but how is the aftermarket? seems pretty damn good so far?
any other info would be great.

yeah, it's new and good thus far. Also sharing parts with Maxima, G35 would keep price cheap and lots of research effort in these cars. Also, more manufacturer, the more competition and cheaper price.

If you are looking into FI options though, the Zs have taken a little stumble. Probably better off waiting for turbo engines from Nissan, which are already used in racing.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:53 PM
Mikestro

350zmotoring.com has a different mix of people, my350z.com has highest number of users. Visit both and use each for what you determine their strengths to be. You will need both depending on the questions you have.

Upgrades are a mixed bag, in many people's opinion, the 350Z comes from the factory EXTREMELY well tuned. Most people are spending close to (or over) $100/HP on mods. Many mods decrease HP. If you are talking forced induction, do a search for "ATI Procharger" for comprehensive reviews of the only non-N/A set-up that has decent history (and is less than $100/HP).

I got the Touring for the TDC, leather and Bose. If I could do it again I would have gotten the enthusiast or performance and done the leather after market and a custom stereo install (Bose kind of sucks).

Aftermarket is in its infancy, but already blooming. If Nissan keeps the 350Z powerplant the same for several years, many aftermarket options will be available. One dude claims north of 300HP at the wheels.... most stock 350Z's are from 220-245rwhp. He spent over $5K.... it was intake, cam, exhaust, headers, pulleys, flywheel and I forget what else.

I don't know what you meant about Brembo brakes but they are only available on the track model. They decrease stopping distance a little but the real advantage in my opinion is how they don't over heat on the track.

Welcome to the Nissan club Pull up a chair and stay a while.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:23 PM
mr2fasterthanyo

thanks guys.....

yea, i figured it would have the normal early production problems and what not. after coming from the mr2 world, which has a very limited aftermarket support once you really get into it,but it has actually picked up quite a bit in the last few years, i know how dealing with limited amount of parts can be(and how expensive it gets)

i as well hate the bose system. decent, but adding to it is a pain, and i prefer to go my own route.

so see what you guys have written, when i start lookiest drive a couple models and go from there. thanks for the welcome and i look forward to seeing you guys and talking with you.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:42 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

personally I think you could take a Z driver, cover the seats and the radio and just let them drive, they couldnt tell you which model they were driving.