Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

No Z, but VQ35DE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010 | 09:44 AM
jumbosrule

Default Tuned

Well I have finally joined the tuned club. Took my FX to JTran Studios in Houston and had a mustang dynomometer tune with UpRev software. The shop did about 12 pulls on the car if I counted correctly. I've heard I shouldn't trust Mustang dyno numbers, but I'm more interested in the relative improvements (before/after tune). Don't really care how accurate my actual whp or tq numbers really are till after the FI install.

First pull was to run a baseline. This was my first Dyno ever, so the baseline was done with all my previous modifications in action. The car pulled 226 whp. My mods got me up to 226 from whatever stock was, but then comes the tune.

Rev limiter was raised (not removed) and speed limiter removed. He adjusted all my fuel maps for increases in power and torque across the band. Adjustments to AFR and the cam timing were made over about an hour and a half, followed by pulls to read out and confirm the new data. My FX responded by increases in power and torque across the board - it's obvious to me it's running better. Acceleration feels more free, as if I just made the car 500 lbs lighter.

Baseline - 226 whp and 217 wtq
217 wtq @ 4820 rpm

After tune - 246 whp and 255 wtq
255 wtq @ 2760 rpm

Here's the dyno sheet:

Now talking turbos with the shop - goal is stock internals, ~400whp, 8-10psi boost. Custom manifolds and piping - not using a kit for this build.
Old 02-16-2010 | 09:46 AM
jbaker1121
Banned

chhyeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 03-24-2010 | 10:31 AM
jumbosrule

Default Polished TB installed

Did a throttle body core swap for $100. Pretty sweet.

And the latest of the Engine Bay - needs to be wiped down. Pollen time in Hosuton.

And here's some of the other shots I have

Exhaust manifold heat wrap:

Exterior:

Last edited by jumbosrule; 03-24-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2010 | 10:35 AM
Nexx

you are crazy lol, FX35 with an identity crisis, i love it! keep up the good work sir. oh, the chrome stockers need to go!
Old 03-24-2010 | 10:47 AM
jumbosrule

Originally Posted by Nexx
you are crazy lol, FX35 with an identity crisis, i love it! keep up the good work sir. oh, the chrome stockers need to go!
Right? So true! About the identity crisis that is - not me bein crazy, lol.

I love the fact it looks stock outside, aside from a couple of subtle changes. Wheels have been on my list for a long time - but I want to go 22" with custom offsets and they gotta be lighter than the stockers or it's a no go. Having a hard time finding that in a style I like. Price matters too - not going to pay $8K for wheels. Closer to $4K would be my range.
Old 03-24-2010 | 10:54 AM
Done Deal DR

Proper wheels would REALLY set it off!
Old 03-24-2010 | 12:07 PM
jumbosrule

Of course you're right - these are the ones I'm thinking about... today, anyway...

The iForged Essen:

And the iForged seneka:

Not sure about the finish - maybe black spokes and chrome rim.
Old 03-24-2010 | 04:03 PM
Done Deal DR

It's like you're reading my mind jumbosrule. I have 20" iForged Sprints on my car and was going to recommend iForged (or HRE) to you. I like both of your choices.

I think black and polished or chrome would work great with your color scheme, which appears to be red, black, and chrome trim (hoping I haven't gone color blind ).

Any idea on what widths and offsets an FX35 would use? I've never looked into it. All I can say is that slapping either of those wheels on would make a huge difference in the overall look of your FX, in a positive way of course.
Old 03-24-2010 | 04:06 PM
Done Deal DR

...and what size are your factory wheels? They look like 18"s or 19"s, but then again I know its a large vehicle and some of them come stock with 20"s...I just can't tell if the size of the vehicle is throwing off my perception.

Whatever they are, I'd probably up size about 2".
Old 03-24-2010 | 04:52 PM
jumbosrule

Originally Posted by Done Deal DR
...and what size are your factory wheels? They look like 18"s or 19"s, but then again I know its a large vehicle and some of them come stock with 20"s...I just can't tell if the size of the vehicle is throwing off my perception.

Whatever they are, I'd probably up size about 2".
Yup - they are stock 20's. 38 lbs (NO rubber) +38 offset running 265/50/20. I like the Sprint too - it's on a list of about 5 models I would be happy with from iForged (Neo & Flux also). I have the Stoptech BBK so need to make sure these custom offsets have planned backspace as well.

I'm currently on 20mm spacers all around, but would like to get rid of those and just push out custom 22" wheels to the fender (2" larger like you suggested). I measured 93mm from hub face to fender on the FX. Since I'm going turbo, I think wider would be better in the rear - pushed out to 95mm with slightly lower profile rubber. Not a huge fan of staggered, but would be cool with it if both wheel lips were the same width, front and back.

Last edited by jumbosrule; 03-24-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2010 | 07:42 AM
Done Deal DR

Do you have any pictures diagonal ( / ) to your wheels and fenders that illustrates the current offset, with the 20mm spacers?
Old 03-25-2010 | 09:15 AM
jumbosrule

Do you have any pictures diagonal ( / ) to your wheels and fenders that illustrates the current offset, with the 20mm spacers?
These photos are stock wheels with 20mm spacers and lower Eibach springs.

Old 03-25-2010 | 09:26 AM
Done Deal DR

I was hoping for something either more in front or behind of the vehicle, so I can better see how the current widths and offsets look in relation to the body/fenders so I could help make a recommendation.
Old 03-25-2010 | 10:22 AM
jumbosrule

Don't have anything available - will try to snap some photos at a meet this weekend.

I have a couple other data points from other FX members. Here are the measurements for a custom set of iForged Flux wheels:

22x9.5 +32 265/35/22
22x11 +48 315/30/22

And this guy is a little bit lower than me, so I know his set-up would work with no rubbing. The diameter of the tires shown is about 1" smaller than OEM - meaning it would give me an additional 0.5" drop.
Old 03-25-2010 | 10:29 AM
zerafian

Nice work your doing on that FX. ...maybe volks ?? I bet theres some set that would like good.
Old 03-25-2010 | 12:39 PM
Done Deal DR

Originally Posted by jumbosrule
Don't have anything available - will try to snap some photos at a meet this weekend.

I have a couple other data points from other FX members. Here are the measurements for a custom set of iForged Flux wheels:

22x9.5 +32 265/35/22
22x11 +48 315/30/22

And this guy is a little bit lower than me, so I know his set-up would work with no rubbing. The diameter of the tires shown is about 1" smaller than OEM - meaning it would give me an additional 0.5" drop.
Maybe I missed it, but I don't believe you gave me the factory wheel widths. Do you know them offhand?
Old 03-26-2010 | 08:02 AM
jumbosrule

Maybe I missed it, but I don't believe you gave me the factory wheel widths. Do you know them offhand?
OEM width is 8.5"

There's a GB going on for DPE Signature series S-20. Sorry in advance for the new-age music on this site:

http://www.dpe-wheels.com/index2.htm

They will do custom offsets - just need to nail down all the specs.

Last edited by jumbosrule; 03-26-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-26-2010 | 10:29 AM
Done Deal DR

It's somewhat hard to tell by the pictures how far pushed out the wheels are with the net +18 offset on 8.5" wheels, but here are some general offset options. Since you have 20mm spacers on the stock wheels, and I'm sure there is at least 1" to spare with stock wheels/offset, thus I'm sure you can come in about 2" on the inside (barring backspacing conflict with Stoptech calipers, which I have no way of knowing), but not much further out since they seem pretty flush with the current widths and offsets and you want to run wide tires. I'm sure you've done most, if not all of this research but thought I'd help where I can.

Keep in mind 1" equals about 24.6mm (seems obvious but many on this site can't seem to do the basic math or Google it) . Since you said you don't necessarily like stagger, I gave you the option of 10" all around, which should look good and allow for for large enough tire, but would hinge on you being able to fit the 10" in the front with your Stoptechs.

9.5" Front:
  • +22: 17mm less internal clearance, will stick out an additional 9mm
  • +25: 20mm less internal clearance, will stick out an additional 6mm
  • +30: 25mm less internal clearance, will stick out an additional 1mm

10.0" Front:
  • +25: 26mm less internal clearance, will stick out an additional 12mm
  • +30: 31mm less internal clearance, will stick out an additional 7mm
  • +35: 36mm less internal clearance, will stick out an additional 2mm

10.0" Rear:
  • +25: 26mm less internal clearance, will stick out an additional 12mm
  • +30: 31mm less internal clearance, will stick out an additional 7mm
  • +35: 36mm less internal clearance, will stick out an additional 2mm
11.0" Rear:
  • +40: 54mm less internal clearance, will stick out an additional 10mm
  • +45: 59mm less internal clearance, will stick out an additional 5mm

If you can get me a side profile shot, where it will show the distance of the wheel in relation to the fender (quarter shot just to the side of either the front or rear of the vehicle) I'd have a better idea though.

The sizes that the guy on your FX site should work. Do you have a link to his setup?
Old 03-26-2010 | 12:04 PM
jumbosrule

Hopefully these are the angles you need - can't find exactly what you were asking for:

http://www.infinitiscene.com/forum/s...&postcount=599

http://www.infinitiscene.com/forum/s...&postcount=644
Old 03-26-2010 | 12:32 PM
Done Deal DR

That FX looks nice, I like the darker grill.

Those sizes seem about spot on, though I think you could easily go to a 275 front. I don't see the point in keeping with the stock front size and going much wider in the rear. All other factors equal, that will make it understeer more, and with a larger vehicle like an FX... you can use all the tire you can get.

Edit: Just for reference, I run a 20x9.5 front with a 275, and a 20x11 rear with a 295. I got an amazing deal on the tires, so I had to take what I could get, but I could fit a 315 in the rear of my stock bodied Z (exception of shaved rear fenders, NOT pulled).

I'm also not generally a huge believer in lowering via smaller tires. You may get a 1/2" lower, but now your speedometer is off by a few MPH (fast) at a true 60 MPH. I'd rather stick with the factory size, but the upside of smaller tires is generally faster acceleration, and maybe it would make more sense to do on the FX that comes with really tall tires from the factory. Another thought is that once you go FI, you may not want the modified overall gearing the shorter tires provide.

Just some food for thought.

P.S. I'm now thinking ALL BLACK iforged would look great as well. I'm going to be refinishing my wheels soon (currently polished lip/cleared spokes), trying to decide on this very topic. I understand the frustration.

Last edited by Done Deal DR; 03-26-2010 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: No Z, but VQ35DE!