Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Returning Z Owner with New Z ....

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returning Z Owner with New Z ....

Hello all-

I've owned many Z's and just purchased a new 370Z Sport Auto. I love this thing. Little different from my stick shift cars. I would never have thought I would have liked this tranny so much. I actually like it better than PDK for stop and go. Plus, I decided that I would never consider taking a Porsche into a stop and go situation. I would feel too great of a loss if someone else hit me and it became totaled.

This new 370Z will be my commute car in serious stop and go driving. However, whenever it opens up I can find that hole in traffic and warp out of that place. It's impressive over my 350 with a stick in traffic. It will also make a nice addition to my weekend drivers. I missed this community and events too much.

My last Z was a 350Z that was rearended by some idiot in traffic. Some of you might remember.

So, new chapter, new Z ..... It's nice to be back !!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 02:31 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

does the auto share the same cvt transmission as the g37? if so, that **** is laggy and i don't see how you can stand it.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:41 PM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

Welcome back and congratulations on your new toy. Pictures are a must.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

My dad has the same set up as your new purchase... though impressive, no where near as fast as a PDK. Welcome back and congrats.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by dikspiel
does the auto share the same cvt transmission as the g37? if so, that **** is laggy and i don't see how you can stand it.
Actually, I own both seven speed Nissan 370Z and Nissan Maxima with CVT.

The CVT actually just indexes the cone so it is quite quick in S Mode. Regular mode...laggy your right. That is the reason I considered the Z with an auto after driving the Maxima in the mountains in sport mode. It down shifts in sport mode better than the seven speed... or at least smoother. That matters when your in a corner and punching it half way out. I didn't think I could do what I did with a sedan unless it was 4WD. Quite impressed.

The Z is just as fast. I was also really impressed. Double bumping the shifter in the Maxima is quicker and it revs instantly. Double bump the shifter in the Z and you get a .1-.2 delay though. What that means though is that you just have to go into the a corner in the right gear or double bump while in the turn.... then .......... your gone >>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm pretty quick shifting a manual. I used to speed shift a lot. Some people don't realize that means holding your foot to the floor and just slamming gears, no lifting of gas at all. Tweaked a couple of input shafts that way on the track though and busted a couple of shift levers & tranny forks right off.

Just went for another drive and the auto revs super high and hits as hard as it can without wheel spin. Wonder what it's like with traction control off. I'm having a hard time being easy on the Z during break in this time. It addictive !!!

Last edited by Z_Driver; 09-27-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
My dad has the same set up as your new purchase... though impressive, no where near as fast as a PDK. Welcome back and congrats.
I know but, I drove the PDK and it doesn't like to shift around town as nice imo. Z-Auto with Sport Package still shifts faster than a stick shift Z. The fractional bit of slip during engagement is good in my opinion. Full thottle the Z shifts pretty darn fast. I test drove a manual 911 4S right after the 911 4S with PDK. I'm telling you I could shift the manual faster than I could the PDK could. The 2 salesman agreed and said in a Turbo version it's completely different than the 4S. I'm like really and walked away disappointed.

I do not want or have the money for a $130-150K 911 Turbo car though. $95K would have been a push if I talked them down from $103K.

However, I do not get the same feeling in the Z car.... Or, I would have bought a manual tranny again. The Z car just seems right... something was off in the PDK car. Maybe it was the shift points weren't soon enough in normal everyday driving mode...

I know it sounds crazy. You should all do the test drive ... I was shocked

Call me crazy but that's what I think about it. Specs don't cut it with me. I need to see it / feel it !!!

Then most likely I'm trying to justify my cheaper purchase....

I do love Porsches .... But, for the money and everyday use.... it was a no brainer for me. Z all the way !!!!

If I need to get my power fix I just jump in my race car or SC Firebird for a speed thrill.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:05 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

in for pics of old 350z that was rear ended by some tard' and pics of the new 370z

welcome back to teh forumz
Old 09-28-2011, 04:57 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
I do love Porsches .... But, for the money and everyday use.... it was a no brainer for me. Z all the way !!!!

welcome back man
Old 09-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Bober'z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome back,i thought the 370z auto tranny was a 7spd?
Old 10-01-2011, 03:41 AM
CervanteZ

Is not? I've yet to use the paddle shifting.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:40 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This thread needs some photos.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:28 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great that you've come back to Zee'ing. My this one remain impervious to others lacking driving skills.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by mttz23
welcome back,i thought the 370z auto tranny was a 7spd?
It is a seven speed... where did I miss lead you?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Today's Events - I'm in break in mode... so, have to be cool. I was doing some errr 5K shifts today and it was just awesome. Unless your really banging your six speed manual your not gonna be keeping up. I just jumped away from traffic so smoothly I couldn't believe it. No abrupt off thottle, shift back on power. Just smooth acceration ... I'm in love all over again with the Z.

Can't believe how much I missed my Z.

However, I'm going to get some Michellin Pilot Sports to soften up the ride a bit. Shouldn't lose anything. Those Bridgestones are just so hard and are not good for everyday imo. If you are racing around the noise the hardness of the Bridgestone is OK. But, 75% of the time I'm running the backroads with my wife and I can't hardly hear her with those darn Bridgestones on there.
I replaced my Bridgestone on my other Z and my Vette before and it makes all the difference. Didn't lose any handling either. More later on that later.

Below are some pictures I snapped this am.... More shots later:

The old 350Z RIP:

Shot of our Z club on Lombard Street .... San Francisco.... That was a great day !!! Looking for more Z outings in the future:

Last edited by Z_Driver; 10-02-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by CervanteZ
Is not? I've yet to use the paddle shifting.
It's the most fun in the mountains on very sharp curvy roads. Lots of torque and lots of gear to play with.... They stick like glue. Over 1g recorded and still can't get on it fully yet... darn break in.

You stay in control with both hands on the wheel. Power slide is just a downshift and punch of the thottle away. AmazzzzzZZZing.

I mean I love Porsches but, for less than 1/3 the price and 9/10 the car .... Hey, I have other things to spend money on.
Not to mention this is more car then 99.9% of the people can handle anyways. Frankly, I'm not sure if I'm in that .1% either.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 10-02-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:04 AM
SE5spd

I know where you got you hit, I had a friend get hit in that same area

congrats on the new Z
Old 10-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Yeah, the replacement Honda Si car got hit within 1/2 mile on same downhill section. People forget they are on a downhill and drive like it's flat lands. Then when things stop.... Woah >>>>>> Crash. I drive on the frontage road through there now and rarely get on that section unless it is middle of the day. It might be a little slower.... but, sometimes it's faster during commute hours... So, there is a trade off.

Thank god I won't have to drive that section after December.

Get off your phone and drive !!!!