New Owners Welcome to the Family!

New to this forum!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Mizozuman2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this forum!

Hello,

I'm new here, and couldn't find an introduction page, so I just put it here.

I'm Mizozuman2, or Nathan. Whichever ya'll prefer. I'm 18 and from Wichita, KS. I've been looking at getting a 350Z for about 2-3 months. Right now, I do not have the cash to get a vehicle, but because of some recent things that have happened, I will have some money to mess around with a little bit, after I set money back for college, and such.

I've talked to my mom, who I still live with. (No, I'm not in the basement. Haha) And she has told me that I can use some of the money to get a car, and work on it with some of my other friends. She gave me a limit of $20,000 to do this with.

I've looked around at some 350Z's, and the cheapest ones that are stock run for 4-8 thousand, and the one's that are in better shape, depend on the year of it. I want one that's a bit nicer, so I'd say 10K on the car alone.

Now, for the other half of the money, I want to make it look nice, and run good too, including suspension. All the body work stuff I can figure out on my own, it's more of the engine part, since i'm not familiar with the engine. I don't want a bunch of power, but enough to go to the track on the weekend or something. I'm thinking just a single turbo, for now at least.

What all would I need to get that put on, and running correctly and efficiently?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:54 PM
ksuberk54

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats up man? I live in Manhattan. Just check craigslist, there's plenty of good 350z's on there from all around the state. If I were you, I'd go one of three ways.
1) Get an older Z like an 03-04 and then turbo or supercharge it and add any other mods you want to it with the remaining money
2) Get a newer HR 350z (2007-2008) which have more hp and more torque and can easily get you to 300whp with just a few bolt ons. Those years should have less scratches and dings and should be in almost perfect condition. You should still be able to do exhaust and intakes that will get u to 300whp.
3) Get an 05-06 and save up for a turbo or supercharger. You could also leave it stock and have plenty of money for bolt ons as well as aesthetic things like a wing, body kit, etc.

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:40 PM
ksuberk54

There's an 07 base with 78,500 miles on sale here in Manhattan for just under 14k. Here's the link

http://www.schramchryslerdodge.net/u...cfcf007697.htm
Old 05-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Mizozuman2

Originally Posted by ksuberk54
Whats up man? I live in Manhattan. Just check craigslist, there's plenty of good 350z's on there from all around the state. If I were you, I'd go one of three ways.
1) Get an older Z like an 03-04 and then turbo or supercharge it and add any other mods you want to it with the remaining money
2) Get a newer HR 350z (2007-2008) which have more hp and more torque and can easily get you to 300whp with just a few bolt ons. Those years should have less scratches and dings and should be in almost perfect condition. You should still be able to do exhaust and intakes that will get u to 300whp.
3) Get an 05-06 and save up for a turbo or supercharger. You could also leave it stock and have plenty of money for bolt ons as well as aesthetic things like a wing, body kit, etc.

Good luck.
That's awesome! I've got a few friends from up in that direction. (Junction City)

Now i know HR is High-Rev, but what exactly is the difference? Is it only able to rev higher, or is there more behind it?

and which one would be better in a race/street application? a supercharger or a turbo? I guess both have advantages and disadvantages, but I'm just curious.

What are some good brands to go for, or some good places to shop to get the parts?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:16 PM
ksuberk54

All of your answers are on this site. I would start here:

100 Common questions:
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...estions-3.html

The HR has a higher power band, more HP and more torque and has better internals so you can make higher HP and not have to worry about it with a turbo or supercharger. The turbo will make more torque and about the same hp as a SC but the SC is safer. Honestly, it's up to you as far as who and what you want to go with. Some of the best of each, in my opinion, are the Greddy Twin Turbo, APS twin and single turbos, the new Soho Motorsports single turbo, Boosted Performance MidMount turbo systems, Vortech superchargers and the Procharger Supercharger. The Turbonetics kit has improved but does not have the best rep.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:53 AM
BoomerZ33

good luck getting the Z
Old 05-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Mizozuman2

Originally Posted by BoomerZ33
good luck getting the Z
Not sure if you're using sarcasm or not, because I've seen how some of the members can be, but Thanks. It'll still be a few months before I have the funds to get it. Some things have happened in the previous months, which will allow me to get a lot of expenses paid for that most people at my age, and social level, would not usually be able to do. I prefer to keep them to myself at this point in time of being on this Forum. But, if I feel that the community here is suitable for me, I might let out a few hints as to what has happened.

-Nathan
Old 05-04-2013, 12:03 PM
bdub209

Old 05-04-2013, 12:05 PM
ProChargedZR

Welcome. I'm in the KC area, so not too far from you. I'll keep an eye out, if I see anything around here. Good luck with the search.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:15 PM
RMichael

Everyone hit the like button if you want to hear Nathan's tale.

Nathan, there is a "like" button here much like being on facebook. But it can only be seen by paying members so I sent out the call for paying members to hit either up or down on whether they want you to tell the tale you alluded to. I'll let you know the final tally and then you'll have more reliable data as to whether you want to tell your circumstances instead of blindly making that decision based upon random commentary from the proletariat.

I'll let you know. Congrats on your potential purchase and potential upgrades.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:48 PM
DayZblue350Z

Originally Posted by Mizozuman2
Not sure if you're using sarcasm or not, because I've seen how some of the members can be, but Thanks. It'll still be a few months before I have the funds to get it. Some things have happened in the previous months, which will allow me to get a lot of expenses paid for that most people at my age, and social level, would not usually be able to do. I prefer to keep them to myself at this point in time of being on this Forum. But, if I feel that the community here is suitable for me, I might let out a few hints as to what has happened.

-Nathan

friendly piece of advice. although your current living situation is at home, i wouldn't share that around here.

i believe that i read you are 18 and are asking your mom about a z...
thats all fine by me but be prepared to get flamed and hard by other members.

welcome to the forum. lots of information around here. hope you get that Z
and enjoy it.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:16 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take care when you find a Z and respect it, then think about up-powering. Welcome.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:02 AM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

So he is going to use 20k of college money for a used Z and mods? Sounds like a wise decision to me.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Mizozuman2

You all didn't understand me correctly, so I'm going to rephrase what I said...

I'm not using my mom's money, nor am I using college money.

It's the money from my father's will that I will be inheriting. He passed away 2 years ago at the age of 36, 2 weeks after I turned 16. None of this money is coming out of anyone's pocket, except my own.

Then after that, I will be getting insurance money from a freak accident that happened to me while at a friends house. I was sitting on the couch in their living room, on my computer, while his parents and my mom went to wichita, because my mom needed some time out of the house. there was a .22 revolver sitting on a nightstand, and he didn't realize it was there, because the lights were off. he accidentally threw a textbook on top of it, and the trigger snapped in the internals. the bullet went in directly behind my ear, right where the skull drops off, and skimmed the back of my C1 vertebrae, the highest vertebrae in the spinal cord, that holds the brain stem. That happened a little over 4 months ago. (Jan 6)

Hopefully that clears things up on the situation. The only reason I asked my mom for permission, is because I feel that since I'm still under her roof, that I have to abide by her rules. also, that I don't want her to flip out if she ever saw a receipt for something... I don't want sympathy, I'm just telling everyone where the money is coming from, so there's no confusion.

(You can "shoot" some gunshot jokes at me, I like dark humor. )

I'd post pictures of what it looks/ed like, but I'm sure that's against forum rules (Correct me if I'm wrong). But, if it's okay with the Mods, I can post pictures of the X-rays, since they're not Grusome.

~Mizozuman2

Last edited by Mizozuman2; 05-15-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Blu Hvn

I encourage you to spend the next few months thoroughly studying the Z...the different years, trim levels, engines, etc. This site has a wealth of info on it. Educate yourself and you should do fine.

Be sure to check Craigslist, etc. here is Kansas City. A friend and his Dad own a used car lot and recently sold an '07 Z and he just got another Z but I don't know what year, etc.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Blu Hvn

BTW, if you're on Facebook and haven't already, check out "Nissan Infiniti Datsun Owners NIDO" They are Wichita based and a lot of knowledgeable people there.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Mizozuman2

Originally Posted by Blu Hvn
BTW, if you're on Facebook and haven't already, check out "Nissan Infiniti Datsun Owners NIDO" They are Wichita based and a lot of knowledgeable people there.
Thanks Blu Hvn. I've been looking through several different sites, mainly craigslist. I've been looking up in the KC area, and even into Missouri, more towards the Joplin and Springfield areas too.

I've got a friend who owns an 04 350Z Coupe. (Base) He's been nice enough to let me drive it a few times, because he knew I was interested in one. I've gotta say... It's easily one of the better cars I've driven in the 3 years of driving. (Including Learners/Restricted licenses)

As for trim, I'm gonna stay away from Nismo's and Roadsters. Nismo's may be a bit too much for me right off the start, and I'm not a fan of the roadsters.

I'm probably going to take the advice of some people, and not worrying about mods for a while, until I become more used to the vehicle. I've driven a diesel for most of my time driving, because I do farm work as a side job, and do plenty of hauling for my actual job of lawn services. not to mention the difference in size of a 350Z and an F-250.

But I shall prowl these forums, and get to learn the cars better in depth.

-Nathan
Old 05-21-2013, 09:33 AM
ksuberk54

If you still have 20k to work with, it sounds like you're going to buy that 04 with 'straight cash homie' and use the rest on a turbo and/or other mods later?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:44 AM
ksuberk54

This guy is selling an 07 Z for 17,500 with hardly any miles on it. I'm sure you can get him down to at least 17k and still have 3k to play with for other mods.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3796426433.html
Old 05-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Mizozuman2

That would probably be really close to what I'd be looking at getting. I haven't gotten the insurance money yet, and the money that was inherited isn't quite that much. Not to mention that the state isn't allowing me to touch that money, unless it is for College, until I'm 21. so it's more-so the money from the insurance claim, I guess.

and right around 20 is what I'm wanting to spend overall, yes. If there were a deal like that one around at a time when the money is here, It'd be more likely what I'd do. I'd say right now, i'm just in the research and question asking phase. As it gets closer, I'll be asking more so about different ads. But right now, looking at them is just a dream. Haha

-Nathan

Quick Reply: New to this forum!