Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Considering buying this 03, need your experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 12:11 AM
TheFlyingTosher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering buying this 03, need your experience

So I've been lurking on here for a while, I watch the marketplace and craigslist pretty religiously, came across a pretty good deal recently and wanted to ask you guys and all your knowledge for some help.

A little tote the note lot near me has an 03 touring 6mt (93k miles) for $4500. It's been listed for over a month and the price keeps dropping. Now listed as a Mechanic special. The reason is Code P0345.

I followed forum etiquette, I have searched and subsequently researched this before coming to you guys.

I KNOW that it is the bank 2 (drivers side) camshaft position sensor. I know that the 03's have the TSB for the sensors (don't know if this particular car was taken in for it). I also know I can buy the parts at pretty much any autoparts store and/or stealer and do the replacement myself pretty easily.

Here's where I need the help. The lot says they replaced the sensors but the CEL and code did not clear, they are under the belief that it needs expert mechanical attention. What would you guys say, the odds are, that the lot simply swapped out the sensors and did not reset the ecu to clear the code? From what I understand that is the next necessary step to clear it, correct? The car is otherwise pretty clean, definitely worth the probably $4k I could get it for. Am I stupid for not jumping on it already or is it wise to be a little bit skeptical?

Last edited by TheFlyingTosher; 04-03-2017 at 04:24 AM. Reason: wording
Old 04-03-2017, 03:42 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

when it comes to sensors, i feel it is always best to replace with oem. the sensors are side specific, so if you do get the car get the parts from courtesy nissan
Old 04-03-2017, 05:41 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

You are wise to be skeptical. Replacing a sensor like that may also result in the ECM recognizing it and clearing the code. The dealership recognized this didn't happen and is ready to move these problems on down the road. You didn't mention how many miles were on the car and whether it had any service records. Both those are factors to consider before any purchase.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:35 PM
TheFlyingTosher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has 93000 miles, that part is in my OP, service records I'm not sure about.

I know those sensor issues are a common thing and found plenty of information on the topic and on how to replace them. My gut feeling, based on the way the information was told to me, is that they just quickly (and maybe cheaply) replaced the part and then fired it up to see the CEL still on, without ever doing any of the battery disconnect/ecu reset steps I read about probably 200 times. I was under the impression that that part was a necessary step, or the code would not reset, based on dkmura's comment that may not be the case. I was hoping it was just their oversight and I would be able to save a few thousand by just resetting it, but if it is indicative of more problems, I'll pass.

This is just the kind of info I was looking for! I'll give that dealer a call and if he is not helpful and just tries to push the car on me, i'll move along.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:09 PM
kauai1800

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's what happened to me.
My car was throwing a 0302 code which is a misfire. I have a cheap *** code reader and reset it. CEL goes off. After 10-15 driving it went back on. Reset it again. Did battery reset thing. CEL light was off, came back on briefly, then went off and has stayed off for 2 days. I'm guessing it might be a coil issue but the entire time the engine has sounded just fine. Previous owner said that the CEL had been on for "a few years" :-)
Draw whatever conclusions you like from my tale.