Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

New 350z owner.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 11:18 AM
dakky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New 350z owner.

Hi guys, (and gals), new 350z owner here 03 215k on the clock. Car was not taken care of what so ever. But the price was right. (Free) due to brother in law moving across country. So when I got it it had been misfiring from what I was told for about 6 months. Car had about 5k put on it during the time. Fixed that in about 10mins cylinder 3 coil. It had a slight bumble at idle. But runs decent otherwise. Throw out bearing is making some racket but clutch is holding fine. Kind of wondering what the heck I've gotten myself into on this car.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Welcome, dakky.

Why are you wondering that? I mean, you got the car for free and all you had to do is change a coil pack. No big deal. As far as the throw out bearing; you're at 215k, you can categorize that as normal wear and tear, especially if its never been replaced. Do a compression/leak down test to better ascertain the condition of your top end.

- All-in-all you've got yourself a great platform. Be thankful for it.
- Also, since you ARE at 215k, be prepared for some breakage. If you plan on keeping the car, I would start putting some money aside, incrementally, for a new/rebuilt/used low mileage engine and transmission.
- If not, you could always sell it and make a profit since you paid nothing.

-Matt
Old 05-10-2017, 11:24 AM
dakky

Not saying I got a bad deal by any means. But the car just was not taken care of. You know broken interior. Bad suspension, body parts gorilla glued back together. I believe the lifters are making some noise. Paint is shot. Never washed once the three years he owned it. It just makea you wonder how many demons this car has that havent showed thier face yet. But if I wanted to get rid of it I wouldn't have taken it. I would have just told him to sell it.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:07 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Wow. Can you post some pics?
Old 05-16-2017, 03:28 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Did your brother in law ever get in a wreck?

There's nothing wrong with free. Make a budget and repair/replace accordingly.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:36 PM
dakky

Yeah ill post pictures soon. Spent my day doing hfcs. Didn't like heavy throttle or running over 4k very well. Solved that problem. Did spark plugs as well. Did the cam sensor yesterday (throwed code for it). Will be doing clutch soon. But I imagine I will have to do flywheel as well being a that it's over 200k miles on it. So coming off 800 bucks is a little tough for us young folks. Also zakmartin no wrecks that I know of and it has a clean title.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:55 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Oh man, the dreaded HFC's. How did that go? Did you use a lift or jack stands/ramps? I was able to do mine in my driveway on jack stands. It required some step-by-step preparations but all-in-all it went pretty smooth.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:04 AM
dakky

Ramps in the drive way. All in all took me about an hour of actual work time and an hour break in the middle. The top 3 nuts came off pretty easy. I used about 4 ft of extensions and a universial along with a ratchet that extends to 18in long. The lower 2 nuts I ended up using a cheaper ratchet and socket with a hammer to knock them free then they came off pretty easy. I was honestly prepared for it to be a much harder job.
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (05-17-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 01:18 PM
Steel Magnolia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are handy, you can do a lot yourself with a great deal of patience. Have the pressure tested on the motor before anything else. You need to know if it is worth working on or get a new one. Then, start with the safety stuff, i/e brakes and tires.
From recent experience, none of the parts are cheap so yes put some cash to the side. You can easily spend 5 grand before you know it and still have things that need doing.