Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

350z overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Walter Kurtz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z overheating problem

About a year ago I purchased an 06 GT Z with about 72k miles on it. I love the car and its probably been the most enjoyable ride I've ever owned. There were a few aftermarket additions like exhaust and this oilpan thing which was completely not necessary. In fact it was causing my coolant to leak from one of the hoses.

I took it to the dealer and was told I had a valve cover leak. Upon fixing this issue the mechanic told me that when he was working on the leak it looked like radiator fluid had been leaking into the engine. He advised that I sell the car and told me it would not be worth it to fix as I could possibly have head gasket issues.

I wasn't sure what to think of this but I made sure to check my oil and coolant religiously for months afterwards and everything was fine.

Now about 6 months later and I hadn't checked my coolant in a long time. Im driving and I notice my Z is overheating. I get to the gas station, let it cool and check my coolant only to find I have virtually none! So I pour a whole new can of coolant in there and now it seems to be fine. Only now I am super paranoid to drive the car based on what this mechanic told me over 6 months ago.

Should I sell the car or what? Is losing coolant like I did over a 6 month period a normal thing or does this indicate a larger problem?:
Old 07-12-2017, 06:56 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to have cars. Take it to a qualified Nissan mechanic ASAP for an assessment - no one here can do that remotely.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:23 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

You could also send a used oil sample into a company like Blackstone for analysis. If there's serious amounts of coolant and metallic residue, a $30 UOA will show it.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:46 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

No, it's definitely not normal to loose that much radiator fluid(antifreeze). It sounds to me like you didn't address your head gasket issue and now you have coolant leaking into your combustion chamber. What color is your exhaust smoke, white? Your heads are most likely warped now due to excessive overheating. So now you'll have to have your heads redone and/or replaced if that's the case.. Should you get rid of it? Idk. Is the car worth $1,500 to fix to you?
Old 07-13-2017, 12:09 PM
Walter Kurtz

There is no visible exhaust smoke. I guess im gonna sell it. I've already had to pay nearly 2k for other repairs that came out of nowhere within the year that I've owned the vehicle.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:25 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Kurtz
I guess im gonna sell it. .
and hopefully disclose the coolant issue to any potential buyer
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 01:37 PM
Walter Kurtz

Naturally I'm going to have the problem fixed first. I'm tired of stressing over this ****. Swear I have the worst luck with cars.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:48 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

If the oil is milky, there's coolant in it. If you do a simple hydrocarbon test on the antifreeze (I hope you used the right brand and mixture, btw) then there's oil in the coolant. Hydrocarbon test kits are dirt cheap on Amazon.

If you don't want to test it first and just want it fixed, then yes, take it in and get it fixed. Honestly, if it's a cracked head, it may be cheaper to just install a new engine.

Realize that a lot of times, when you buy a used car, you're buying someone else's problem. Given that, paying a decent mechanic to inspect a used vehicle prior to purchasing it can save you thousands of dollars' worth of grief.

Good luck with the repair and I hope it's not too terrible for you.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Walter Kurtz

The oil was not milky at all but it also was kinda low.