Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

2008 350z Nismo worth it?

Old 06-12-2019, 01:05 PM
Sparklan

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 2008 350z Nismo worth it?

Hello,

First post, possible first time buyer of a Z car. Looking at an 08 Nismo with low miles for around $18K. It is not perfect, it looks like the previous or current owner drove behind a gravel truck or something (lots of paint chips), plus it could possibly need a front bumper due to a hit to the diffuser piece under the bumper. There's some stress cracking in the paint so it's hard to say until a body shop looks at it. Other than that, the rest of the car is in great condition. What is interesting about these cars, is none of the car sites out there match up with what people are asking for them. Most show in the $16K range for one in excellent condition with low miles, even my bank said I was paying too much for it. The interior in them is garbage. Really Nissan? Just going to sit there while the finish on everyone's interior flakes off? Still, I love the way these cars look/drive and the Nismo edition is nicely equipped with performance parts. Just not sure if it's enough to justify the asking price most people are trying to sell them. Have you sold or bought a 07/08 Nismo lately? What do you feel they should be worth in 2019?
Old 06-12-2019, 03:19 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparklan
Hello,

First post, possible first time buyer of a Z car. Looking at an 08 Nismo with low miles for around $18K. It is not perfect, it looks like the previous or current owner drove behind a gravel truck or something (lots of paint chips), plus it could possibly need a front bumper due to a hit to the diffuser piece under the bumper. There's some stress cracking in the paint so it's hard to say until a body shop looks at it. Other than that, the rest of the car is in great condition. What is interesting about these cars, is none of the car sites out there match up with what people are asking for them. Most show in the $16K range for one in excellent condition with low miles, even my bank said I was paying too much for it. The interior in them is garbage. Really Nissan? Just going to sit there while the finish on everyone's interior flakes off? Still, I love the way these cars look/drive and the Nismo edition is nicely equipped with performance parts. Just not sure if it's enough to justify the asking price most people are trying to sell them. Have you sold or bought a 07/08 Nismo lately? What do you feel they should be worth in 2019?
Still asking $20k+ for true low mileage (<50-70k) cars where I am (Northern California).

Sold mine for near what I paid for it but I only owned it for a year or so. That was three years ago. Interior trim was a complaint, yes; but I replaced the armrest panels, NBD. And all later Zs with that “velour like” padding suffered from this too. Replaced my ZR panels as well.

Other Nismos with higher miles or bad titles are asking in the $16-18k range.

Worth it? Depends. If you plan to keep it stock, I’d say yes as it’s an amazing car as it is. But, if you plan to modify the car - particularly suspension - might as well get a “non-Nismo” 07-08 as the drivetrain is the same.

I posted a thread comparing my Nismo to my older non-Nismo somewhere here. (On my phone now, no bookmark)

Throwing it out there.... ever consider a Z34? I won’t get into it here but my ‘12 Niz was far superior to my earlier cars. Stiffer, lighter, more rubber, mo’power. And in the same price range as Z33N.... at least here anyways.

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-12-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:50 PM
Sparklan

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Throwing it out there.... ever consider a Z34? I won’t get into it here but my ‘12 Niz was far superior to my earlier cars. Stiffer, lighter, more rubber, mo’power. And in the same price range as Z33N.... at least here anyways.
Oh boy, have I and I've really tried to like them. I just don't like the look of the newer models. That, and I'm a sucker for the racing heritage of the 07/08 Nismo. I know, extra weld points and brembo brakes a racing car does not make but my brain doesn't care. It's freakin awesome! lol.

Other than fitting it with true dual exhaust and possibly intake, it will be kept completely stock. That and paint or replace/paint the front bumper, clear bra, then just enjoy it until I want something else.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:48 PM
Sparklan

Well, it's official. I am the owner of a 350z Nismo. Loving it so far!!
The following 5 users liked this post by Sparklan:
BigBlue (06-21-2019), MicVelo (06-21-2019), rustyschopshop (06-23-2019), Spike100 (07-09-2019), terrasmak (07-14-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 01:56 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats man
Old 06-21-2019, 02:15 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

She looks like a beauty! Enjoy that thing!
Old 06-21-2019, 02:21 PM
Sparklan

Thanks. The car checked out, no accidents, it's got 28k miles on it.

I did have a question for you guys. On the back of the trunk lid under the spoiler, there is some unusual variations in the metal work. Not sure if it's from closing the trunk to hard or the spoiler or just manufacturing. It almost looks like it was hit with a rubber mallet a few times, very minimal and there is no impact point like an accident. Just kinda weird, I don't remember the other 350z's I was looking at having this but I didn't even notice it when I washed it. Later when I walked up to it, I noticed the wavy indentations. Just curious if you noticed this on your car.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:16 PM
Sparklan

Figured I'd post this example. I stopped by a body shop today for the front end and had them look at the rear too. He agreed that it was not an accident, and thought it might be the spoiler but honestly I don't think he understood why it happened either. The only way to fix it is to drill on the under side of the lid and push the small imperfections out. I will probably just leave it, but still pretty weird...
Old 06-23-2019, 12:48 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

a good pdr tech should be able to get to that dent on the hatch without drilling. I would just pull the trim panel to access it. I fixed one on mine shortly after i bought the car. If for some reason they do need to drill a hole it will be hidden by the trim panel anyway
Old 06-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Sparklan

Originally Posted by rustyschopshop
a good pdr tech should be able to get to that dent on the hatch without drilling. I would just pull the trim panel to access it. I fixed one on mine shortly after i bought the car. If for some reason they do need to drill a hole it will be hidden by the trim panel anyway
This is a pretty large area. It goes from the Nissan symbol to the Nismo symbol with little variations Its hard to see in a pic..Then a vague horizintal crease on the left side of the Nissan symbol. Its almost as if a kid sat on the spoiler or something. There is is a good pdr place I've used for my other cars. I'll drop by there with it and see what they say.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:59 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

for sure hard to see in a pic how bad it is, definitely doesn't hurt to see what they say. I have seen really good techs fix some really big areas to the point most people could never tell. Large areas don't always come out perfect but all depends on how ocd you are over the repair. Either way wish you luck
Old 07-08-2019, 08:50 AM
Sparklan

I looked through the forums and couldn't find an answer on this. Does anyone know of Nissan fixed the problem with the bad interior pieces later on? (ex. switch bezels, dash panel, etc...) I talked to my local dealership and the parts department wasn't 100% sure. Is there anyone here that purchased them years later, and what was your experience? I thought about having them wrapped in carbon fiber, but this Tony guy that everyone was raving about no longer does it. I talked to him and apparently he only does steering wheels now. Most real world pics of these cover kits on Carid and other sites look like crap. I could just take them off and paint them, but my experience is these things never come off without braking some cheap little clip or something. So, ideally I was thinking I would just buy new pieces and throw the old away. If they have the same problem though, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:00 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

i know when i ordered new ones from courtesy, they were a different texture that the old ones... had em for 2 years and they never scratched
Old 07-08-2019, 09:43 AM
Sparklan

Originally Posted by travlee
i know when i ordered new ones from courtesy, they were a different texture that the old ones... had em for 2 years and they never scratched
Do you by chance have the part numbers you ordered? I noticed there are a couple different versions of the same part.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:54 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

I looked through the forums and couldn't find an answer on this. Does anyone know of Nissan fixed the problem with the bad interior pieces later on? (ex. switch bezels, dash panel, etc...) I talked to my local dealership and the parts department wasn't 100% sure. Is there anyone here that purchased them years later, and what was your experience? I thought about having them wrapped in carbon fiber, but this Tony guy that everyone was raving about no longer does it. I talked to him and apparently he only does steering wheels now. Most real world pics of these cover kits on Carid and other sites look like crap. I could just take them off and paint them, but my experience is these things never come off without braking some cheap little clip or something. So, ideally I was thinking I would just buy new pieces and throw the old away. If they have the same problem though, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
If you can find someone local that does it you can get your center waterfall and the portion around the shifter hydrodipped in whatever color or pattern you'd like. I had mine done with a faux carbon fiber look a few years back and it's still holding up so far.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:13 PM
travlee
Master

Do you by chance have the part numbers you ordered? I noticed there are a couple different versions of the same part.
that was so long ago, now i am questioning if it got them conceptz, z1, or courtesy
Old 07-08-2019, 01:15 PM
travlee
Master

it may have been z1

https://www.z1motorsports.com/driver...er-p-3755.html

https://www.z1motorsports.com/passen...er-p-9445.html
The following users liked this post:
Sparklan (07-13-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 01:16 PM
Sparklan

Thanks, those match up with what I was looking at. I found another source that may carbon fiber wrap them, so I'm checking them out. If that doesn't work out I will most likely purchase these.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:20 PM
Sparklan

Originally Posted by rustyschopshop
for sure hard to see in a pic how bad it is, definitely doesn't hurt to see what they say. I have seen really good techs fix some really big areas to the point most people could never tell. Large areas don't always come out perfect but all depends on how ocd you are over the repair. Either way wish you luck
Unfortunately, I'm very ocd... I did take it to a good pdr shop in our area. It turns out they've fixed this on multiple 350Z's. It's literally from people pushing in that area too hard to close the trunk. Really thin metal back there I guess. Note to all Z owners, don't hulk out on your trunk! lol.
The following users liked this post:
rustyschopshop (07-09-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 08:20 PM
Sparklan

So, when I first start the Z in the morning the clutch engages low (About an inch off the floor) but after I drive it for about 15 minutes it gradually raises until it engages about a inch from the top. It stays there for the remainder of the day if I drive it a few times throughout the day. I've seen posts about the clutch being low and high but not both. It shifts fine either way, it's just a little weird to drive with this variance. Any thoughts? Is this typical?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 350z Nismo worth it?