Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Newbie, please help..

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 07:31 PM
milos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol funny guys..i don't know how to do the print screen! im sowwie, i'll keep trying..hopefully noone will buy it in the meantime..
Old 11-16-2004, 07:32 PM
milos

anyone else has membership at wreckeddeal.com or is it just me lol ?
Old 11-16-2004, 07:46 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Milos,
We were actually chuckling because Zand02Max's avatar is really just a very creative photoshop rendition of his Z with big ol' SUV rims on it. 26's won't really fit on the Z and would look absolutely ridiculous if they did. Not to mention the complete lack of power with all that unsprung weight you'd be lugging around.

Seriously though, regarding the picture, here's how you'd do it.....Browse to the website and make sure the whole picture you want to capture is visible on the screen. Now press the Alt key and the PrtScrn key at the same time. This will capture and copy a picture of whatever is in the "active window" into memory. Now, open up the Paint program (typically under the "accessories" menu in your start menu), and click edit -> paste. This will paste the contents of the screen capture into the Paint program. You can either save it as-is to your hard drive and then attach it to a post here, or you can crop it (which is basically the same as cutting a picture out of a magazine, where you cut out a square around only the image that you want) and then attach it.

I'd be interested to see what a $7,500 Z looks like. Hope you can make it work.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Poizon

Dont trust things that sound like a steel. A 2003 Z for 10,000.00 must be in bad shape and probably needs 5,000 to 10,000 to fix.
If you know a good Z mechanic you can trust. This would be the only way I would consider buying these cars.
If you bring a mechanic you dont know he might lie and tell you its in good shape and charge you up the ........ to fix everything; and more things to fix than he previously told you.
Be carefull when things seem too good to be true.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:13 PM
milos

Alright, I got one of the pictures...It was way to big to upload, so I had to make it look bad to make the size smaller...Hope this works..
Attached Thumbnails Newbie, please help..-493front.jpg  
Old 11-16-2004, 09:21 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know nothing about car mechanics but after looking at the pic I guarantee you are looking at more like a min of $7500 to repair.

Do not proceed without a really good mechanic giving you a price to repair.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:19 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by The Brickyard Rat
I know nothing about car mechanics but after looking at the pic I guarantee you are looking at more like a min of $7500 to repair.

Do not proceed without a really good mechanic giving you a price to repair.
I agree wholely with the Rat. The Z is not an inexpensive car to repair, and it looks as if the left front corner of that car has been severly compressed, maybe to the point that the frame rail is bent. IF you proceed to look at this car, take somebody with you that really knows their way around collision repair. They will have a better idea of what gotchas to look for than you, and could save you from wasting $7500 on a car that realistically can't be made right again. Additionally, they (ideally) are unbiased about you buying the car whereas you have 'Z-eyes'. That's a dangerous thing to have when thousands of dollars are on the line.

Keep in mind that cars end up in Salvage yards for one of two reasons. 1.) An insurance adjuster estimated that it would cost at least 75% of the cars value to repair it or it can't be properly repaired in a way that makes it road worthy for the long term. That means that if the car were ONLY worth $20,000, there are potentially $15,000 in damages OR it's just a straight up broken car. B.) The owner agreed to sell the damaged car to the salvage yard at a price equal to or greater than the difference between the damages and the required "total-out" amount. Insurance companies will allow this because ultimately it doesn't cost them any more money, and they're betting that the owner will replace it with something newer or more expensive (higher premiums=more profit). If the latter is the case with this car, then you could possibly end up with an OK car, but you still need to take someone with you who can make sound decisions on your behalf.

The same ol' adages always apply:

You get what you pay for.
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
It ain't there because someone wants to give it away, money still makes the world go 'round.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:31 AM
boma

I looked at some wrecked z's and S2k's , and that's what got me started in wanting a these cars.

I suggest you find a way to get another 10k and get an 03 Z for like 20k ish or something.

Atleast it'll be in one piece.

My brother's WRX was totaled out after a flood.

They actually got the engine running with a new ecu, and it just had stinky carpet.

But guess what, Allstate totaled it anways.

Who knows what kind of problems would arise later.

On The other hand, you could a really nice 240sx, if you're into the Nissan RWD thing. Perhaps you could get an SR20DET and smoke us!
Old 11-17-2004, 08:19 PM
milos

Yea, they have few nice cars that are totaled because of the flood....I'm not sure if I'd get that though, I don't think my dad wouldn't want that..I think I'm just going to have to wait 'til next year when my dad promised to buy me a nice Z. I'm deff for the touring 6spd, is that the best one there is ?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:32 PM
milos

or maybe same year top of the line Infiniti g35 ?
Old 11-17-2004, 09:00 PM
tiesto81

Few things here - I agree with what everyone's saying - looks like there could be structural damage. My 00 civic si recently got hit while parked by some dude who fell asleep. I didn't think at the least it would be totalled, but turns out that there was some damage to the roof and floor (buckled) that resulted in it being buckled.

Do not ever trust what the dealer says in regards to the title. I'm not saying the title isn't clean, but I'd find that hard to believe after looking at that pic. Get the VIN number and go to carfax.com and get a report for 19.99. Will be well worth the money (hell I did that even on the 04 Z i'm about to pick up, just to be safe).

Finally, not that I advocate saving off copyright images but those pop ups that prevent you from copying or saving are a joke. Just keep pressing space to hit the 'okay' in the pop up, while repeatedly hitting the right click over the image. Eventually you'll get the right click menu to appear on the image, letting you save, copy..whatever...
Old 11-17-2004, 09:54 PM
milos

Yea, true. I am just going to wait 'til next year about this time when my dad will get me the Z. He will be willing to spend 15-20k on it by that time, so I am probably looking at the 2003 yr. model, since I want the touring package with orange leather...

I have few Q's about 2003 model...they have brembo brakes right ? They have all the same options as the 2005 touring except the tire pressure monitor and higher HP correct ?
Old 11-17-2004, 09:58 PM
tiesto81

Originally posted by milos
Yea, true. I am just going to wait 'til next year about this time when my dad will get me the Z. He will be willing to spend 15-20k on it by that time, so I am probably looking at the 2003 yr. model, since I want the touring package with orange leather...

I have few Q's about 2003 model...they have brembo brakes right ? They have all the same options as the 2005 touring except the tire pressure monitor and higher HP correct ?
Depends on the trim. The only trims that have brembo brakes for 2005 are the 35th anniversary edition and the track. Both are advertised to come out in January (although seeing them around March is more likely). These 2 05 trims also have an increase in hp at the expense of a decrease in some torque. Prior to 05, all trims were at 287 hp.

The touring for 2003-2005 has generally been the same. in terms of features. Leather, upgraded stereo, and power/heated seats. On coupes, my understanding is you will not find leather in any of the other trims with the exception of the 35th anniversary edition that combines the features of the track with the touring. Those start at a hefty 36K MSRP.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:01 PM
milos

So, which to get, when my time comes...G35 or 2003 Touring (maybe 2004 depends on the price range)... ? Or should I go with Track ?
Old 11-18-2004, 02:02 PM
kcobean

Originally posted by milos
So, which to get, when my time comes...G35 or 2003 Touring (maybe 2004 depends on the price range)... ? Or should I go with Track ?
You should consider whether or not you'll be wanting to tote friends around in your car or not. If you get a Z, it's you and the girl, or you and a buddy, but that's it. If you're ok with that, I'd get the Z. It's a sports car, not a sports coupe, and sports cars are cooler IMHO, especially at your age.

Now, as one of the 'old farts' on the forum (only 32, but still older than you), I have to say that I think it's crazy that your dad is going to pay this much $$$ for you to have a high-powered sports car as a first car. I am NOT trying to start anything here, so hear me out. Some young guys can deal with it (and I hope you're one) but so many are just too fearless and "invincible" to be trusted with almost 300 HP on a public street with little or no experience. I truly am not digging at you or your dad at all, but what you're going through wasn't even imaginable when I was your age, even though my parents could have afforded it. I ended up with a 10 year old VW Scirocco with almost 200K on the ODO when I turned 16. It's a good thing I only had 97 HP and FWD to play with, or I certainly wouldn't be here to type this. I was a crazy SOB, and I'm not afraid to admit it if it causes you to pause even for a second. Please, please, please keep your head on straight when you get behind the wheel of your new car. You're much more beneficial to the world as a living body than as a statistic. I strongly recommend if possible that you find and take a high-perf. driving course to learn in a safe environment what your car is capable of and how it reacts to certain environments and conditions.

For all of you guys that are thinking to yourself "The nerve of this bastard to say something like that", this is an age-old topic here on the forum, so please save your retaliatory remarks. I'm not trying to offend, but to point out that this is a special car that can be dangerous in foolish hands. I want Milos to be a survivor who doesn't prove the insurance companies right, and that is my ONLY point. Thx.

Milos, whatever you get, enjoy it. Both cars are awesomely fun to drive.

Peace, out.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:07 PM
tiesto81

kcobean - Well said. I'm 23, and I still plan on going to a track to become more comfortable with the car. First car was an 88 rx7, then a beater mustang, then an 00 civic si. I've never been much of the type to 'redline' or 'drop the clutch' or any of that non sense (don't know why really, I just don't like to show off, just enjoy driving, occasionally going quicker). I totally hear you on that though - even at my age where I've driven for 6 years, I am planning to take it easy and learn as much about cars as possible.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:26 PM
milos

Hey, thanks for the input kcobean. I appreciate it.

Well I had a car for almost a year now,... Civic 00 DX MT..few mods to make it alil faster (lol still slow)....And I drive this thing every single day, driving is everything to me, I love it. I know all the limits of my lil Civic, that car has been thru everything with me. I'm not saying I'm a good driver, because I've only had my license for few months, but I'm not bad. I drive a Saab 9-5 turbo (pretty faast) from time to time, and it's alil different..I drove a 2003 Z (my best friends older brother has it), and it was a f'n blast just to hear the engine, stereo was off the whole time.. But I get what you guys are saying, and you are 100% right. I am deff. gonna go to a track or a pro driving school or w/e is out there to see the limits..always a good idea.....

Downfall to my driving is...I love to accelerate fast off the line, seems to make me really happy and gets my adrenaline going...
--My dad knows that, and that is why he wants to get a Z for me, because he knows its meant for that and it won't get messed up by that kind of driving..