Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

Anyone else hate the front tire fender gap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:04 AM
GalvatronType_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else hate the front tire fender gap?

I've noticed that the Nismo has a much more pronounced front fender gap over the regular Z. I hate it.

As soon as the Potenzas wear out (which won't take long), I will upgrade from the stock 245 to 255 fronts and this should help fill in the gap. Does anyone else know what else I can do to lessen the space?

Also, I am not going to lower the car, I already have enough trouble from speed bumps, low driveways, etc., and I don't want to hit that splitter on anything and crack it as so many others have done here (I haven't hit the splitter on anythiny yet, thank goodness).
Old 04-15-2009, 08:09 AM
NISMO355

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a higher profile tire?.....hmmmmmm
Old 04-15-2009, 08:34 AM
GalvatronType_R

Originally Posted by NISMO355
How about a higher profile tire?.....hmmmmmm
I considered that but going above 40 and keeping the rear at 35 may mess with the TCS. Also, I like the low profile 40 look and would prefer not going higher.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:42 AM
davidc81

everything to fix the fender gap you dont want to do. pointless thread.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:24 AM
frbica

do you still have the factory spacers on? check that out first...
Old 04-15-2009, 09:33 AM
floppymoppy1234

Originally Posted by frbica
+1... werd check that out.. mine still had it
Old 04-15-2009, 09:55 AM
GalvatronType_R

Originally Posted by frbica
Hmm, I did not know that the Nismo had factory spacers so I probably still have them on. I'll have to look once I get a chance.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:00 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

that might just do it...
Old 04-15-2009, 10:18 AM
PikesPeakZ

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R
Hmm, I did not know that the Nismo had factory spacers so I probably still have them on. I'll have to look once I get a chance.
Most dealers don't know, even though Nissan places something on the car to warn them not to let customers drive off without removing it.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:41 AM
ambientflier

Are you talking about the bottom of the fender to the top of tire gap, or the kind that can be fixed by wheel spacers? Because honestly, I wouldn't even notice that compared to the hideous rear bumper. I don't know how you guys stand to look at the things. Which is really a shame, because the front is very well-done.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:50 AM
PikesPeakZ

Originally Posted by ambientflier
Are you talking about the bottom of the fender to the top of tire gap, or the kind that can be fixed by wheel spacers? Because honestly, I wouldn't even notice that compared to the hideous rear bumper. I don't know how you guys stand to look at the things. Which is really a shame, because the front is very well-done.
There are spacers in between the springs to prevent full compression on the Nismo models, I think so people don't test drive them since they are numbered and limited. Most dealers forget to remove them or don't even know they exist so the car sits high on the springs because it can't settle on the shocks.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:01 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

I understand my rear...I hate the rear mesh/grill it attrachs debri
Old 04-15-2009, 12:18 PM
GalvatronType_R

Originally Posted by PikesPeakZ
There are spacers in between the springs to prevent full compression on the Nismo models, I think so people don't test drive them since they are numbered and limited. Most dealers forget to remove them or don't even know they exist so the car sits high on the springs because it can't settle on the shocks.
Excellent, thank you. There is also a strange knocking coming from the front suspension when I go over speed bumps or dips or anything else that requires the springs to compress so I'm guessing that the spacers are responsible for that too.

Thanks for the replies, time to schedule an appointment with the stealership.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:39 PM
pacfwu

Originally Posted by PikesPeakZ

The spacers are there for shipping purposes. The car may not sit any lower than a Grand Touring model, however the 3 inch longer nose makes it difficult to load onto a trailer without digging the nose into either the ground or the ramps.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:13 PM
PikesPeakZ

Excellent, thank you. There is also a strange knocking coming from the front suspension when I go over speed bumps or dips or anything else that requires the springs to compress so I'm guessing that the spacers are responsible for that too.

I'll put money on the spacers not being removed since you also here the knocking up front (aka plastic crunching LOL)
Old 04-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Beka Z
Banned

Now i'm going to check mine as well! i was thinking the other day ugly the front gap is.... good thread IMO...
Old 04-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would much better lower, but after awhile, it doesn't bother me as much.

I put 265/35/18s up front and was kinda worried about extra wheel gap, but it really doesn't make a difference. After seeing the result, I wish I went with 275/30/19s in the rear to match (this tire make did not have other fitments for the rear).

You could try the spring mount mod https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...mount-mod.html

BTW, I ran over something the freeway today and Fd up my front lip....
Old 04-15-2009, 08:31 PM
PikesPeakZ

Here is a pic of the spacers put in between the springs on the front from Nissan. I believe there are 3 on each side of the fronts. I am referring to the black pieces on the springs.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:50 AM
Demonbfg

Oh i guess we stand to look at the rear end because it's functional and superior handling to a regular z
Old 04-16-2009, 05:14 PM
ambientflier

Originally Posted by Demonbfg
Oh i guess we stand to look at the rear end because it's functional and superior handling to a regular z
Yeah, but I'm sure it doesn't have to be so friggin square looking. There are other functional aero kits that fit the lines of the car bettter.

Anyway, back on topic. By the looks of those spring clips, there would be NO suspension travel at all on the car. Wouldn't it be kinda hard to not realize that something is wrong?

Quick Reply: Anyone else hate the front tire fender gap?