Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

The $69 exhaust modification

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009 | 06:48 AM
WhiteNoiz

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA

me personally, a car not running exhaust has no back pressure........so i would think hes leaning out the car and can possibly, with time, cause damage......I wouldnt do it, but once again "its to each their own"

-J
the lack of back pressure would build up oil in the intake plenum too right?

Running the Z without the muffler is old news. I remember someone else all excited that they did this and creating a thread about it. The fact is, were getting younger and younger owners that simply just want to mod the Z like they did the civic.

I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot more rice in the 350z community as they get cheaper. Funny thing is, I bet more than half will have less power than stock
Old 08-24-2009 | 06:53 AM
cubs4worldseris

^ +1!!!
Old 08-24-2009 | 08:02 AM
enjoichris01

awh man for real? im super curious to how this thing sounds now.. ive been wanting a nismo exhaust for awhile now and have had my aam y pipe and 3in single up for trade. that sucks lol
Old 08-24-2009 | 08:37 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting
Premier Member

^^^

sucks that he more than likely cut the Nismo exhaust for the tip...If I do any mod of my nismo "Z" better believe

I KEEP ALL MY ORGINAL PIECE
Old 08-24-2009 | 09:34 AM
Hexxus

Originally Posted by KingBaby
^^^

sucks that he more than likely cut the Nismo exhaust for the tip...If I do any mod of my nismo "Z" better believe

I KEEP ALL MY ORGINAL PIECE
He did cut up his original exhaust. Read the thread I posted.

The horror. The horror....
Old 08-24-2009 | 11:41 AM
TheOtherRob

me personally, a car not running exhaust has no back pressure........so i would think hes leaning out the car and can possibly, with time, cause damage......I wouldnt do it, but once again "its to each their own"

-J
Not sure what you mean here. He does have a exhaust, he just does not have the muffler.
Old 08-24-2009 | 12:08 PM
blktrack350

Originally Posted by chrisjersey06
I don't see what the big deal is. Yea its ghetto but its still probably quieter than my TurboXS, and the Porsche and Lambo crowd have been doing muffler delete pipes for years as a popular and respectable mod.

From a looks standpint, IMO all Z's with a single exit exhaust look a little weird but to each his own.
the porsche and lambo guys do it because there whole exhaust is just the muffler and maybe a foot of pipe
Old 08-24-2009 | 12:11 PM
epme

To each his own, I am sure that it is something that he likes. If not he can just have the tip welded back on to his Nismo exhaust...
Old 08-24-2009 | 02:10 PM
zstreet86

cool, post a sound clip!
Old 08-24-2009 | 02:48 PM
sleeper400

i have done this to my car as well. (g35c) it saved alot of weight and sounds VERY nice. i have had a top speed exhaust, jic single titanium, magnaflow, and a tanabe hyper med. all with FI resonated tp's and this setup sounds like the tanabe. i did feel a SLIGHT loss in low end compared to stock muffler but it deff boogies up top just like every other exhaust i had. i race my car alot and about to take it off the road in a year to really gut it out and make it a true race car. i cant justifice the money in a noise maker when i can spend next to nothing for the same power and sound and save more weight. i race at pocono raceway with the nasa events and i have recieved many compliments on my setup. OP congrats on the mod, hope u enjoy it like i do.
Old 08-24-2009 | 03:01 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ninous26
Sad that all these bashers have never heard that setup..

A Z/G with no muffler is better sounding than pretty much any other exhaust out there for these cars.. NA of course.
Ummmm... no. I've heard a 350 with no muffler - it sounds like ***. Almost as bad as a fart-can Honda.
Old 08-24-2009 | 04:06 PM
burntZ

those STS turbos [in the rear] don't (need to) run mufflers after them - & they sound great!
Old 08-24-2009 | 04:14 PM
freedonutss

Originally Posted by burntZ
those STS turbos [in the rear] don't (need to) run mufflers after them - & they sound great!
Old 08-24-2009 | 05:27 PM
burntZ

Originally Posted by freedonutss

sts turbo

see the vette? - NO MUFFLERS!

for the z - also mufflerless....

Last edited by burntZ; 08-24-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2009 | 06:24 PM
sleeper400

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Ummmm... no. I've heard a 350 with no muffler - it sounds like ***. Almost as bad as a fart-can Honda.
i think u mean no resonator in the mid pipe or non resonated tp's on stock exhaust sound like ***. if u just replace the back muffler (the section with the tips) like the OP did... it sounds nice, really nice
Old 08-24-2009 | 06:33 PM
freedonutss

Originally Posted by burntZ
sts turbo

see the vette? - NO MUFFLERS!

for the z - also mufflerless....
Your not getting the point. Posting a thread saying hey I took out my muffler because I installed a STS turbo is reasonable. For example, a stock SRT4
(turbo if you didnt know) comes with NO mufflers installed from factory. Posting a thread saying he took the muffler off for $69 blah blah is like kids with honda civic poking holes in the muffler to make it louder.

Get the idea?
Old 08-24-2009 | 06:39 PM
Adon

I did the same thing on my G coupe, except I kept it dual outlets, cost about $150 and I did it because all I wanted to do is enhance the stock VQ exhaust note, I didn't want any after market exhausts that change the sound.

what's underlined above is a perfectly rational reason of why someone would want to do this, it doesn't automatically mean he/she is cheaping out or ricing out.

I lost the sound clips and pictures I had when my PC harddrive got deleted, but I can tell you that it sounded a lot deeper and meaner and you could still hear that VQ gurgle though it was faint, after you accelerate hard and let go of the gas it sounded like a friggin monster, that was my favorite part of the exhaust.

I personally found it too loud when cruising however, and ended up buying another stock exhaust to put back on, I loved the stock sound too much. Next thing I'll try is a combination of HFC's and Y pipes

Last edited by Adon; 08-24-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-24-2009 | 07:14 PM
s2k2nismo

Originally Posted by Adon
I did the same thing on my G coupe, except I kept it dual outlets, cost about $150 and I did it because all I wanted to do is enhance the stock VQ exhaust note, I didn't want any after market exhausts that change the sound.

what's underlined above is a perfectly rational reason of why someone would want to do this, it doesn't automatically mean he/she is cheaping out or ricing out.

I lost the sound clips and pictures I had when my PC harddrive got deleted, but I can tell you that it sounded a lot deeper and meaner and you could still hear that VQ gurgle though it was faint, after you accelerate hard and let go of the gas it sounded like a friggin monster, that was my favorite part of the exhaust.

I personally found it too loud when cruising however, and ended up buying another stock exhaust to put back on, I loved the stock sound too much. Next thing I'll try is a combination of HFC's and Y pipes
i was just thinking....if he took out the muffler and somehow kept both tips. might sound and look good
Old 08-24-2009 | 09:26 PM
sleeper400

Originally Posted by s2k2nismo
i was just thinking....if he took out the muffler and somehow kept both tips. might sound and look good
u could.... where the flange of the mid pipe meets the flange of the muffler... cut it out along with the driver side exhaust tip and directly connect the mid pipe to the tip. basically what the OP did but leave the muffler still hanging on the two passenger side hangers. weld on a driver side hanger to support it from dropping and waaaallaaaa. it looks stock but sounds sweet as hell.
Old 08-24-2009 | 09:31 PM
sleeper400

Knowing this site, im not surprised by the comments thus far........that being said...keep your comments clean and per our TOU or well start handing out infractions/bans, etc.....

You must remember mod'n a car is beauty in the eye of the beholder.......bash all you want, OP is actually prepared for it with his:

statement........(but so long as its within the TOU of this site)

keep it clean or keep it off...........
-J

he still has the stock cats i assume. that along with stock exhaust pipe diameter is plenty of backpressure. i highly DOUBT it would go to any lean enough levels to worry about. think about how many people on here have hfc or tp's (which is proven to lean the mixture) and without a tune, that is something to worry about. not changing the axel back of the exhaust.

Quick Reply: The $69 exhaust modification