Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

Nismo Kit falling apart

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:41 PM
klaze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nismo Kit falling apart

Anyone else having this problem? I daily my car, has about 70k miles, and I noticed some bolts popping off the side skirts, on both sides now, each on the front portion of the side skirt (behind front wheel). It is causing the skirt to stick out slightly, one of the skirts is slightly cracked so it moves out of place if I dont pop it back in..... anyone know where I can get those bolts? I suppose Nissan should have em in stock? I will get pics if you dont know what I mean. Aside from that, I love this kit!! Gotta stop scraping blahh

Last edited by klaze1; 02-17-2015 at 08:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KingBaby (07-07-2017)
Old 02-18-2015, 01:03 PM
monztr

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Most dealers in my area don't stock crap anymore, everything has to be ordered it. I don't own a nismo but I have driven in LA and your roads are busted! LA home of the highest dollar cars on the crappiest streets. Probably rattling everything apart.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:41 PM
DeusExMaxima

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Most factory fasteners for the Nismo body kits are special order. I just checked when looking to install my Nismo side skirt extensions. I decided to modify my own fasteners from hardware store fasteners and they seem to be fine so far.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:52 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Sorry to say, but if you cracked that NISMO urethane sideskirt, you caused some serious damage to it. If the mounting bolts are popping out, they may have been dislodged by the bump or jump you took. The anchor points may also be damaged or split to the point they no longer function.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:18 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

i would call courtesy nissan... but without pics it is hard to say
Old 02-19-2015, 08:49 AM
klaze1

thanks guys, its this part Part #0834061608

http://www.oemautopartsandaccessorie...ddbbc7e682da2/

I am gonna see about ordering them from Nissan, I don't really trust these 3rd party sites, but these are the bolts, one of which is completely gone from my driver side skirt, the passenger keeps poping out, I will post up pics when I get the chance.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:05 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_sear...utton=Go&cat=1
Old 02-19-2015, 09:56 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Don't have a Nismo so I do not know the quality exactly, but it seems like the issue was you hitting something. I wouldn't think these parts just "fall apart"

I noticed on your sig that you have KW coils. If you are dumped then I would say there is your culprit.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:35 PM
klaze1

passenger side where the skirt is cracked (dropped on a curb exiting shitty parking lot), upper bolt keeps popping out, even makes a popping noise when you push it in, and pops back out.

driver side bolt completely gone, skirt still in good condition, but also moves slightly
Old 02-19-2015, 06:43 PM
klaze1

Ordered the bolt from nissan suppose to come in tomorrow, hopefully can just pop in some new ones and it will fit properly.. had to buy 10 though, couldnt buy just two, either way might be a good idea to have em just incase this happens again.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:17 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

As I suggested back in post #4, the sideskirt itself is damaged and another drop may have it completely coming off. If I were you, I'd take off that side completely and try to use a flex adhesive or other means to fix that crack in the sideskirt. The NISMO skirts are insanely expensive and you don't want to buy a new set.

Also, that front mount uses a Nissan plastic clip (not a 10mm bolt) with a push/pull pin to hold it in place. The hole itself goes into a rocker plate that isn't tapped.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:02 PM
DeusExMaxima

Originally Posted by dkmura
As I suggested back in post #4, the sideskirt itself is damaged and another drop may have it completely coming off. If I were you, I'd take off that side completely and try to use a flex adhesive or other means to fix that crack in the sideskirt. The NISMO skirts are insanely expensive and you don't want to buy a new set.

Also, that front mount uses a Nissan plastic clip (not a 10mm bolt) with a push/pull pin to hold it in place. The hole itself goes into a rocker plate that isn't tapped.
I agree. The skirt is about $360 and then you would have to paint it. Its better to repair it before it gets worse.

The Nissan fastener is a two part unit. I dont know why the stealership made you order 10.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:26 AM
klaze1

the shop I go to quoted me 300 just to repair the side skirt
Old 02-21-2015, 01:52 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by klaze1
the shop I go to quoted me 300 just to repair the side skirt
Why not try to repair this yourself? It might not be perfect, but it won't cost $300, either.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:37 PM
klaze1

Why not try to repair this yourself? It might not be perfect, but it won't cost $300, either.
I have no idea how to go about doing this, what do you suggest? Cant I just buy that bottom piece and replace it?
Old 02-22-2015, 11:32 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by klaze1
I have no idea how to go about doing this, what do you suggest? Cant I just buy that bottom piece and replace it?
First, you'll need to remove the sideskirt itself to do a full inspection. Jack up up your Z and support it with four jackstands. Pull the LS tires/wheels and begin removing the sideskirt itself. The front and rear corners are supported by two push/pull pins that can be pulled by using a flathead screwdriver and then pulling the accompanying plastic base. The bottom of the sideskirt has six (or seven?) 10 mm bolts holding it in place and I bet you'll find more damage there.

The "botton piece" you refer to IS the NISMO sideskirt, you'll find it is rivited or bolted into place. Not as easy to just replace as you think. After you clean it up and pull that plastic rivit at the bottom, you might be able to use a flexible plastic adhesive to hold it together if you clean the surfaces carefully. A more solid, but less flexible, fix would be using fiberglass mat soaked with resin to reinforce the damaged area. Once you've got it done, just reattach the sideskirt in reverse order. Now you've got a better idea of the engineering behind your Z and some personal satisfaction in the DIY repair.
The following users liked this post:
KingBaby (07-07-2017)
Old 02-24-2015, 09:36 AM
klaze1

First, you'll need to remove the sideskirt itself to do a full inspection. Jack up up your Z and support it with four jackstands. Pull the LS tires/wheels and begin removing the sideskirt itself. The front and rear corners are supported by two push/pull pins that can be pulled by using a flathead screwdriver and then pulling the accompanying plastic base. The bottom of the sideskirt has six (or seven?) 10 mm bolts holding it in place and I bet you'll find more damage there.

The "botton piece" you refer to IS the NISMO sideskirt, you'll find it is rivited or bolted into place. Not as easy to just replace as you think. After you clean it up and pull that plastic rivit at the bottom, you might be able to use a flexible plastic adhesive to hold it together if you clean the surfaces carefully. A more solid, but less flexible, fix would be using fiberglass mat soaked with resin to reinforce the damaged area. Once you've got it done, just reattach the sideskirt in reverse order. Now you've got a better idea of the engineering behind your Z and some personal satisfaction in the DIY repair.
Thanks for the info bro, now to find time to do this lol.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:15 PM
DeusExMaxima

The bottom Nismo skirt extension is held on my about 9 bolts. If you have air tools or electric air gun, it doesnt take long to take off. You take off the entire skirt and extension first. As dkmura said, there are push pins at the ends and about 7 10 mm bolts underneath. There are several white pins at the top holding the regular skirt on plus a bit of double sided tape. I unbolted everything and then opened the door, and pulled on the skirt and it came right off. THEN, you unbolt the Nismo skirt extension after the whole unit is off the car.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:26 PM
DeusExMaxima

Here are some pics:

Inside the Nismo extension
Name:  20150214_153520_zpsdgrkzkuz.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  101.2 KB

I have one bolt slid into the bolt holder. The others are empty but they normally have bolts slid in them

Here is the underneath of the extension and the sideskirt. On the right are the holes that hold the sideskirt to the car. On the left are the bolts that hold the Nismo skirt extension to the sideskirt.

Name:  20150214_171114_zps3wpekzjg.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  150.7 KB

Here is the inside of the sideskirt with Nismo skirt attached.
See the white pins on the right? Those release by pulling on the top of the skirt. You can see the Nismo bolts in the middle of the side skirt which hold the Nismo extension to the side skirt
Name:  20150214_171050_zpslkb3cak9.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  132.3 KB
Old 02-25-2015, 08:11 AM
67ZNISMO

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
The bottom Nismo skirt extension is held on my about 9 bolts. If you have air tools or electric air gun, it doesnt take long to take off. You take off the entire skirt and extension first. As dkmura said, there are push pins at the ends and about 7 10 mm bolts underneath. There are several white pins at the top holding the regular skirt on plus a bit of double sided tape. I unbolted everything and then opened the door, and pulled on the skirt and it came right off. THEN, you unbolt the Nismo skirt extension after the whole unit is off the car.
Did you have any issues attaching the Nismo extensions with your stock skirts or was it a straight bolt on? Any additional drilling required? I'm gonna be installing a used set to my stock sides and didn't get a chance to look at both side by side yet. I noticed the stock skirts have that squarish indent towards the rear

Quick Reply: Nismo Kit falling apart