Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

NISMO R-Tune Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 02:02 PM
Justang

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NISMO R-Tune Exhaust

Here's a video of my NISMO R-Tune Exhaust I recently put on my 2008 NISMO. The exhaust is top quality with the welds being pretty much perfect. Instructions were kind of vague, but it's a simple cat-back exhaust so the instructions aren't really needed. As with all videos, its not the most accurate representation of it's sound, but it's pretty close.

My impressions
Sound:
It's loud. But it's the R-Tune, so you should expect that.
I don't notice "rasp" but more of an aggressive note from 2500rpm to 4000rpm-ish.
DRONE... lawd, does this thing drone! So much so I put on a Magnaflow X-muffler to quiet the drone; it did not help at all. It took away the amazing sound but kept all the drone. It was actually quieter than the factory NISMO exhaust, so I removed the X-muffler. Last week I installed the NISMO R-Tune Intakes and, to my surprise, that made a significant reduction in the drone.

Power:
My butt says there was a decent power increase. But that could be the sound tricking my brain into thinking I'm going fast. I'd imagine it's just like every other exhaust, only more expensive.

The exhaust and intakes are my only mods. The video is before the intakes.

Last edited by Justang; 12-20-2018 at 02:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SirSpeedyZ (09-26-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 02:37 PM
Justang

Quick review on the NISMO R-tune intakes... screw that intake. It was a huge pain in the *** to instal. I've installed countless intakes on a variety of different cars, foreign and domestic, the list is long. But this intake was by far the worst. Mainly it was the PCV system. They give you 1/2" hoses that are to be fit over 5/8" tubes, which is absolutely idiotic. But my main question for NISMO/K&N(read below) would be, why would you decide to use a hole with a grommet to insert the PCV system on the drivers side? Why not use a tube and a hose like you did on the passenger side? I would have only one thing bad to say about this intake if it were not for the drivers side PCV system. That one thing is the decrease in intake tube diameter around the MAF. I understand accurate metering, but it's a larger diameter tube before and AFTER the MAF... WTF? Maybe it's not a big deal, but it rubbed me the wrong way... or maybe I was already mad at the PCV system. HA!

Overall the intake helped quiet my exhaust, which was worth the money. With the NISMO intake/exhaust there is a great blend of intake to exhaust sound, with the sound being exhaust dominant. The car revs more freely, but I'm not sure if there was much of a power gain. What I do notice are my IAT temps. I monitored the stock intakes for a few weeks before I received the NISMOs and found that the IATs were 7-15deg higher than ambient temp at highway speeds. While driving in traffic I would see 30-40deg above ambient temp. With the NISMO intakes I am 15-25deg higher at highways speeds and saw 50deg above ambient temps in traffic. Worse than stock, but reduced my drone. I'm tempted to try the Injen intakes for lower IATs.

I got all my parts from Z1. I like their intake, but it's not CARB compliant.

Also, the NISMO intake is part number 16576-rnz38, and the instructions say it is for off-road use only but I found a CARB EO# on their website. According to the CARB website this intake is exempt and has the CARB EO# D-692-2. Another point of interest is this executive order states the NISMO intake is made by K&N. I had read on these forums they were made by AEM.

https://arb.parts/Executive-Order/D-692-2.pdf

Next up... CSC delete, clutch, lightweight flywheel, 3.9 gears. Having some weird clutch issues, seems like I'm seeing the beginning of the end of my CSC at 38k miles.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:16 AM
Black Ztallion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for posting this... I was really curious how the R Tune sounded.

Last edited by Black Ztallion; 09-03-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:35 AM
Headsick

I too was looking for a video of this, thank you.

Also, just a note for your 2nd post, K&N makes AEM's filters, so it wouldn't surprise me if they made the whole intake system, or the only thing CARB was concerned with was the manufacturer of the filter element.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:40 PM
Justang

I found that the older NISMO intakes were not made by K&N. The new NISMO intakes are an exact copy of the K&N. I’ll post pics this weekend; I found an older NISMO intake.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:09 AM
Headsick

Originally Posted by Justang
I found that the older NISMO intakes were not made by K&N. The new NISMO intakes are an exact copy of the K&N. I’ll post pics this weekend; I found an older NISMO intake.
Yeah, the DE intake was definitely an AEM piece. I know cause I have one, lol.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:07 PM
Justang

You can see how the K&N NISMO intakes step down at the MAF junction, the AEM NISMO intakes do not. Also notice the K&N uses a hole with a gromet for the PCV on the driver side, the AEM uses a tube like the factory intake.

Last edited by Justang; 09-30-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:01 PM
Justang

Still loving the exhaust. Ditched the intakes, gonna sell them.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:12 PM
churroz

does anyone know how much it weighs?