Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

Please comment on this...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Metal Heart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please comment on this...

I plan on doing a nitrous setup sometime in the next few months, it'll prolly get done over the winter. I just want some insight on what I plan on doing.

Dynotune nitrous wet EFI kit
Dynotune nitrous tps/window box
Bottle heater kit

I plan on using Emanage Ultimate too. It's cheaper than UTEC is and it has switchable maps so you can tune the car for N/A performance and then switch the map to one with less aggressive timing for n2o.

Anything you think I'm missing/should consider?
Thanks
Old 08-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Metal Heart

Also, the mods that will be on the car will be...
CAI
Plenum spacer
Headers
Test pipes
Exhaust
Old 08-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Gators2001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depending on your shot size; colder plugs
Old 08-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

The emanage is not cheaper in the long run and it is a pain in the a s s to hook up compared to the UTEC, which installs in 5 minutes..The UTEC also has superior features to the emanage that will come in handy with the N2O set up, such as the knock retard. The Utec also stores multiple maps, accessable via a dash mount switch,switchable on the fly. The UTEC is superior in every single way..
Old 08-26-2006, 11:38 PM
Metal Heart

Originally Posted by Gators2001
depending on your shot size; colder plugs
Yea, shoulda thought of that.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:42 PM
zz350zz

Ya spend the couple hundred extra and get the UTEC....its your next best option
Old 08-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Metal Heart

I don't have it to spend, simply put.
you can get a used/new emanage Ult on ebay for $300 and the autosport harness for $200, and your additional harnesses for $100. So it's a total of 600 for the setup. UTEC is 950 new at best or maybe 800-850 used, if you can even find it in the classifieds. that 200-350 would be better used elsewhere. I don't need more than 2 maps, and I don't really need the knock control because it'll only be a 75-100 shot. So Emanage Ult is the way I'm going. That isn't debatable. Call me cheap if you want, but I have a budget and I'm sticking to it. I tend to see the people that push UTEC the most on this forum are VENDORS, seems that they want to sell more of the products THEY sell. While I respect that right, I simply cannot afford it. Unless someone feels like getting me a UTEC for 650 shipped, I won't be buying one.

I would still like insight on the setup otherwise. Thanks

Last edited by Metal Heart; 08-27-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:34 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Metal Heart
I don't have it to spend, simply put.
you can get a used/new emanage Ult on ebay for $300 and the autosport harness for $200, and your additional harnesses for $100. So it's a total of 600 for the setup. UTEC is 950 new at best or maybe 800-850 used, if you can even find it in the classifieds. that 200-350 would be better used elsewhere. I don't need more than 2 maps, and I don't really need the knock control because it'll only be a 75-100 shot. So Emanage Ult is the way I'm going. That isn't debatable. Call me cheap if you want, but I have a budget and I'm sticking to it. I tend to see the people that push UTEC the most on this forum are VENDORS, seems that they want to sell more of the products THEY sell. While I respect that right, I simply cannot afford it. Unless someone feels like getting me a UTEC for 650 shipped, I won't be buying one.

I would still like insight on the setup otherwise. Thanks
Well, you aksed for people to comment on your set up, so I will give you my professional opinion on it.And Im not trying to sell you a UTEC, since I actually sell and install both systems. I was just giving you advice you asked for. But ask yourself these questions before you jump on the Emanage bandwagan a year to late..
1) Why do you think the emange sells on ebay for $300??
2) How much additional labor would a shop charge to wire up the emanage to the autosport harness?
3) what if the wiring is done wrong?
4) Have you considered the fact that the emanage's are notorious for buring up ignition coils?
5) Do you think NOT having a knock retard feature is not a good thing on a N2O setup??

Here is my reasoning for the UTEC over the Emanage:
Kock retard: Even a N/A car experiences knock from time to time.A car with F/I or N2O is obviously more prone to knock, and more catastrophic knock at that. The guys that have been runing N2O on their cars with no form of timing correction or knock retard are at best, playing russian roulette with their motors. The stock ECU WILL retard timing when it picks up knock, to an extent, but not enough to save you...

Absolute timing: with the UTEC, the timing map you set is the timing map you run at all times unless you experience knock. The Emanage relies on a + or - variable of whatever timing the ECU is running at the time of tune.this final number is subject to change on various road and driving conditions.Basically with the Emanage, you never actually know what your timing is doing..

These are only two of the features that immidiately make the UTEC superior in every way to the Emanage in my eyes. If your on a budget, they by all means, go with the Emanage.However if your looking for a safe N2O set up, then go with the UTEC and spend the few $$$ more. Another thing to consider, is if your on a budget as you say, then perhaps going F/I or N2O is not the best route if you dont have the expendable income set aside for if and when you blow up your motor..Jusy my $ 0.02
Old 08-27-2006, 05:45 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

plus you will have to pay someone 200 dollars to wire the autosport harness to the greddy harness...

UTEC is way cheaper and works nitrous perfectly, you can set up the spare solenoid switch so you dont need a TPS switch or Window rpm switch, pm me on the nitrous kit if you havent already got it...

EU maybe 300 if it was ran over
AS harness 200 if it was ran over also 295 new
greddy harness 100
someone to wire it 200
window rpm sw 200
TPS sw 100

thats 1100 dollars, you can get a utec for much less.....

i have a theory about doing stuff once and right. it might take a little while longer, but well worth it when you are done....
Old 08-27-2006, 08:09 AM
tropicalypso

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
plus you will have to pay someone 200 dollars to wire the autosport harness to the greddy harness...

UTEC is way cheaper and works nitrous perfectly, you can set up the spare solenoid switch so you dont need a TPS switch or Window rpm switch, pm me on the nitrous kit if you havent already got it...

EU maybe 300 if it was ran over
AS harness 200 if it was ran over also 295 new
greddy harness 100
someone to wire it 200
window rpm sw 200
TPS sw 100

thats 1100 dollars, you can get a utec for much less.....

i have a theory about doing stuff once and right. it might take a little while longer, but well worth it when you are done....
Do you also perform installations?
Old 08-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Metal Heart

Ok I can see this is gonna take a while.
Fine I'll go with UTEC whenever this project gets underway.

Does anyone notice anything BESIDES that?
Old 08-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tropicalypso
Do you also perform installations?

yeah man, pm me please with whatever you are looking to get installed.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Metal Heart
Ok I can see this is gonna take a while.
Fine I'll go with UTEC whenever this project gets underway.

Does anyone notice anything BESIDES that?
Cooler plugs and really good gas is a must..
Old 08-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Kenk2
Professional

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
really good gas is a must..
Yea her ein Az. your LUCKY to get good gas.. I am still trying to find some, anyone knows of any in or around Tucson, let me know.. Getting knock with timing set to ECU with the utec..
Old 08-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Vader007

Talk to Jeremy anout an NX kit, he has really good prices, is friendly and fast with his service and NX is number one in the industry for a reason, there are no shortcuts with nitrous, it will cost you a motor!
And I have no afiliation with Jeremy or the Performance Factory, I am a potential customer who PM'd him for some prices and was happy with his quick, friendly, no pressure response!

Jerry
Old 08-28-2006, 04:24 AM
350z0827

Dynotune? Thats what I originally bought and I was very disappointed in it. So much that I just replaced all the solenoids with NX stuff and then was very happy. If you want dynotune I have all the solenoids for a wet system. If you wanna pay for the shipping I will give you all the dynotune solenoids for free(thats how much I hated them, very poor quality and didnt work well at all. I would strongly recommend using NX, in my opinion it is far superior. Well, if you want he solenoids let me know you can have them for free!
Old 08-28-2006, 05:51 AM
vze4fhpv

Does anyone know specifically how to use the utec as a window switch using a zex nos kit? Please pm...

Last edited by vze4fhpv; 08-28-2006 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:12 AM
Kenk2
Professional

Originally Posted by Vader007
Talk to Jeremy anout an NX kit, he has really good prices, is friendly and fast with his service and NX is number one in the industry for a reason, there are no shortcuts with nitrous, it will cost you a motor!
And I have no afiliation with Jeremy or the Performance Factory, I am a potential customer who PM'd him for some prices and was happy with his quick, friendly, no pressure response!

Jerry
^ +1
Old 08-29-2006, 09:38 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z0827
Dynotune? Thats what I originally bought and I was very disappointed in it. So much that I just replaced all the solenoids with NX stuff and then was very happy. If you want dynotune I have all the solenoids for a wet system. If you wanna pay for the shipping I will give you all the dynotune solenoids for free(thats how much I hated them, very poor quality and didnt work well at all. I would strongly recommend using NX, in my opinion it is far superior. Well, if you want he solenoids let me know you can have them for free!

I tell ppl over and over to buy NX....no one listens. No offense 350z0827, I'm sure you didn't see my post on random nitrous threads. Listen to 350z0827, he already learned from 1st hand experience. NOS, ZEX, VENOM, Dynotune, etc are all obsolete. NX has the market cornered. Great solenoids and nozzles make for a perfect nitrous system.

As far as the emanage....what a waste. UTEC is plug n play and you can make adjustments yourself using your computer/laptop. I'm buying one soon. If an extra $200-300 is out of your budget, sell the Z and buy a civic. Not one part for the Z is cheap. If you want to do nitrous right on the Z, its gonna cost you around $2000-2500.

I'm buying the UTEC next month for 3 reasons. Knock detection/adjustment, timing adjustment, and fuel adjustment. I already have a TPS/Window switch, but those adjustments alone will gain you plenty of power and keep your motor safe. Most of the guys in the nitrous forum have been using this stuff for years. Its been almost 12 years for me. Most of us have used trial n error. Learn from other people's mistakes and save yourself alot of money and trouble. Its as simple as that. Good luck with your project. Keep us posted.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Gators2001

+1, I find it better to keep things to myself.

Quick Reply: Please comment on this...