Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

Just a couple reason why turbo=headache & nitrous=fun

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 03:46 PM
one350zfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
teh bottle is for people who aren't man enough for the always-available power of boost

you can't compare boost to nitrous on this board either......killer as very few run nitrous vs how many run boost.

plus, who wants to spend $35-40 a pop each time that bottle runs out? Knock out the initial cost of FI and all your other maintenance is gas and oil, just like any other car

Oh, and I'll take your nitrous torque at 3000-4500 and raise it with that of my ST setup.

P.S........my turbo setup has given me 15k miles of reliable fun, mountain jaunts in NC where nitrous would suck, etc. but boost just keeps it going, many trips, and good gas mileage.
This is from a guy who told me he'd rather have an exhaust than a utec any day!

Sorry, just bustin your *****!

But, if you ever want to see what a 150 shot can do, I'm sure we can arrange something!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:10 PM
trefling

has anyone ever seen what happens to the engine bay when nitrous literally backfires in the manifold?...lol...it's not pretty

I don't care what anyone says...big boost turbo is the way to go. I stared off my Z with a 100 shot wet kit NX, then got a supercharger, then did the Greddy kit. I'd never go back to nitrous or supercharger and yes filling the bottle got very expensive. It's not hard to go through a whole 10 pound bottle in minutes. Plus your going to look like a looser racing someone when you run out of laughing gas
Old 10-31-2006, 08:41 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm just curious how nitrous backfires? I've heard it can happen, but of course it isn't flammable all by itself, it's an oxidizer so it needs fuel to combust.

So how does fuel get into the manifold, when it is directly injected into the combustion chamber?

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I just want to know how it happens.

By the way thanks nightshade, so there are ramping nitrous delivery systems, that's pretty cool

I'm still chuckling at the nitrous versus F/I bickering
Old 10-31-2006, 09:23 PM
Zendem

Originally Posted by one350zfan
This is from a guy who told me he'd rather have an exhaust than a utec any day!

Sorry, just bustin your *****!

But, if you ever want to see what a 150 shot can do, I'm sure we can arrange something!

I'm curious to see what it does....I'm looking to play with this stuff pretty soon and i think 150 is as high as i would probably ever go, no need for dynos but just curious as far as numbers is concerned. Maybe even 1/4 mile times
Old 10-31-2006, 11:22 PM
MySunset350Z

nitrous always gets a bad rap. but most people instal it and live happily ever after without any headaches. thats why you dont hear much about it. lol.

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
I'm just curious how nitrous backfires? I've heard it can happen, but of course it isn't flammable all by itself, it's an oxidizer so it needs fuel to combust.
its a problem with wet nitrous kits where fuel and nitrous are sprayed into the engine instead of just nitrous. it is caused by fuel puddling. a lot has to go wrong for it to happen. here's a list without any details.

1. high nitrous shot being sprayed 75-100 plus AND
2. nitrous pressure not high enough to vaporize fuel.
3. air build up in the lines/ no purge system present. again, fuel will not vaporize properly.
4. fogger placed too far away from plenum.
5. engaging system at low rpms.

the fuel will puddle in the intake and plenum and ignite causing a backfire. you'll only get a nice fire ball coming out of your intake and have to replace it if your lucky. of course, luck wont be there at higher shots, so nitrous people have to be smart about it.

So how does fuel get into the manifold, when it is directly injected into the combustion chamber?
only direct port kits spray directly into the chambers.

the saving money on bottle fills by going turbo always gets me.
3 years of bottle fills and i'd probably spent a max of $400.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:47 AM
done12many2

teh bottle is for people who aren't man enough for the always-available power of boost
So the type of FI you use is a measurement of masculinity now? I am absolutely confident that although I don’t have a turbo, I can definitely handle your apparently MANLIER turbo setup.

The way I see it, each form has its own inherent advantages and is just a matter of personal preference.

Oh, and I'll take your nitrous torque at 3000-4500 and raise it with that of my ST setup.

Nitrous setups vary as much as turbo setups. My torque curve goes a lot further than that.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:45 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 97supratt
I think nitrous is good for people who don't want extra stress on their motors all the time. It has the reliability of N/A as long as you don't use it quite often.

If you are power hungry, point, click and purchase that turbo/supercharger kit.

Exactly what I've been saying the whole time. If you are that hung up on nitrous, you can make similar power....you just need a progessive controller and direct port. Turbo is a great addition to any motor. I was just preparing fellow members for some complications they may run into. Home slice came on hear as if I were calling him an idiot for running turbo....which is simply not the case.

Which brings me to wired 24/7s question. A progressive controller (i.e the maximizer) can be set to release any percentage of your jet shots. So if you run a 100 shot, you can start off with 25% of that and increase it as the RPMs increase. Giving you a more linear curve VS. instant power.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:49 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Originally Posted by MySunset350Z
nitrous always gets a bad rap. but most people instal it and live happily ever after without any headaches. thats why you dont hear much about it. lol.

its a problem with wet nitrous kits where fuel and nitrous are sprayed into the engine instead of just nitrous. it is caused by fuel puddling. a lot has to go wrong for it to happen. here's a list without any details.

1. high nitrous shot being sprayed 75-100 plus AND
2. nitrous pressure not high enough to vaporize fuel.
3. air build up in the lines/ no purge system present. again, fuel will not vaporize properly.
4. fogger placed too far away from plenum.
5. engaging system at low rpms.

the fuel will puddle in the intake and plenum and ignite causing a backfire. you'll only get a nice fire ball coming out of your intake and have to replace it if your lucky. of course, luck wont be there at higher shots, so nitrous people have to be smart about it.

only direct port kits spray directly into the chambers.

the saving money on bottle fills by going turbo always gets me.
3 years of bottle fills and i'd probably spent a max of $400.
You go MySunset....well said.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:50 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Originally Posted by done12many2
So the type of FI you use is a measurement of masculinity now? I am absolutely confident that although I don’t have a turbo, I can definitely handle your apparently MANLIER turbo setup.

The way I see it, each form has its own inherent advantages and is just a matter of personal preference.

Nitrous setups vary as much as turbo setups. My torque curve goes a lot further than that.
bout time some of the nitrous guys stepped up. I was getting pushed around in the nitrous forum. lol

Keep em coming guys.....we've got some good points going here. puddling being one of them. Anyone experience this first hand? I have never had this problem. Guess you gotta make sure the nozzle is facing the right way. haha.

Last edited by Old School; 11-01-2006 at 05:02 AM.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:31 AM
bdmpastx

Robert, I have seen motorcycle gas tanks and air boxes blow up at the drag strip with guys spraying on bikes. But they were idiots. Trying to spray off the line at lower RPMs without WOT. Like you need spray right of the line on a bike anyways. All you are going to do is wheelie and perhaps loop the bike.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:18 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Originally Posted by bdmpastx
Robert, I have seen motorcycle gas tanks and air boxes blow up at the drag strip with guys spraying on bikes. But they were idiots. Trying to spray off the line at lower RPMs without WOT. Like you need spray right of the line on a bike anyways. All you are going to do is wheelie and perhaps loop the bike.

Yea, I've seen videos of the bikes doing that.....not I. Wouldn't be cool to blow your legs off. My gixxer is plenty fast anyways. Crazy though....running 6-7 second on two wheels (or one lol) in the 1/4 mile calls for extreme power. lol.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:58 AM
Kenk2
Professional

Hey fellas..

As the dust settles I will chime in..

For me, I am going NOS THEN FI WITH NOS..

For the next maybe 1-1/2 years I am going to be researching what I want to do for my FI setup. Constantly getting info from Shariff, Todd and Sam.. Our motors are still very new and new info is being discovered every day. I want to make sure that I have enough iknowledge and am doing this the best way possible so I have the safest setup possible FOR ME. So in the meantime, I will have some fun with Nitrous and fart around for a while.

For me, money isnt an issue (cant be with FI) but I want a killer setup.. I want peeps to look at my car and be like "that is a kicka$$ setup and it was done RIGHT!" Then blow them away at the drags and streets... I know within the next year there will be major advances with our motors so I am going to sit back and wait and when its here I am so totally ready..
Old 11-01-2006, 06:59 AM
MySunset350Z

Originally Posted by Old School
Keep em coming guys.....we've got some good points going here. puddling being one of them. Anyone experience this first hand? I have never had this problem. Guess you gotta make sure the nozzle is facing the right way. haha.
lol, it happened to me almost 2 years ago. i was running a 125 shot.

i armed the system and turned on the heater. i must of left it like that for about an hour and it was hot out so air build up in the lines had to of been major. long story short, i completely forgot to purge before spraying because it was the first time spraying with my new tc so i was a bit nervous.

when i sprayed, the car hesitated, my a/f gauge spiked towards rich and just a huge pop followed by fire coming out the filter. (the guy infront of me saw the fire not me). i was lucky i was testing on the freeway and at fairly high rpms or it could of been worse. also, i always leave one ring clamp on my intake setup off for something like this. so instead of blowing the intake into pieces threw my hood, the unclamped connected popped and released the built up pressure. oh and my nice intake looked like a marshmellow. i had a picture of it, but i cant seem to find it.

the car didnt stall though. it kept running even though there was gas everywhere. i did stall as soon as i pulled over though. scary night.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:19 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Originally Posted by MySunset350Z
lol, it happened to me almost 2 years ago. i was running a 125 shot.

i armed the system and turned on the heater. i must of left it like that for about an hour and it was hot out so air build up in the lines had to of been major. long story short, i completely forgot to purge before spraying because it was the first time spraying with my new tc so i was a bit nervous.

when i sprayed, the car hesitated, my a/f gauge spiked towards rich and just a huge pop followed by fire coming out the filter. (the guy infront of me saw the fire not me). i was lucky i was testing on the freeway and at fairly high rpms or it could of been worse. also, i always leave one ring clamp on my intake setup off for something like this. so instead of blowing the intake into pieces threw my hood, the unclamped connected popped and released the built up pressure. oh and my nice intake looked like a marshmellow. i had a picture of it, but i cant seem to find it.

the car didnt stall though. it kept running even though there was gas everywhere. i did stall as soon as i pulled over though. scary night.
That's crazy. I only turn the bottle on when I'm gonna spray, then it goes right back off. Had the nozzle for the nitrous welded on the intake pipe so it doesn't move around. Hopefully I won't run into this problem. Never had an issue with my civic. But then again I didn't go through a bottle every week either. Try and find that pic....I wanna see!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 07:23 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Carelessness is the only reason something might go wrong. Just like turbo setups and boost controllers. If your wastegate hose is clogged or pinched, the wastegate will stay closed and you'll max out the turbo causing detonation.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:03 PM
dragon11689

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got money on OldSchool for this discussion...LOL.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Originally Posted by dragon11689
I got money on OldSchool for this discussion...LOL.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:48 PM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by trefling
has anyone ever seen what happens to the engine bay when nitrous literally backfires in the manifold?...lol...it's not pretty

I don't care what anyone says...big boost turbo is the way to go. I stared off my Z with a 100 shot wet kit NX, then got a supercharger, then did the Greddy kit. I'd never go back to nitrous or supercharger and yes filling the bottle got very expensive. It's not hard to go through a whole 10 pound bottle in minutes. Plus your going to look like a looser racing someone when you run out of laughing gas

How in the hell do you go through 10lbs of nitrous in minutes? I mean, I remember guys at the street races doing fly bye's just to show how fast their cars were... was this you?

Only a loser would stage a race without knowing how much nitrous they had!
Are you speaking from experience when you said this? I could see how you'd run out during a race after doing all those fly bye's.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:56 PM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by El Zzeta
I'm curious to see what it does....I'm looking to play with this stuff pretty soon and i think 150 is as high as i would probably ever go, no need for dynos but just curious as far as numbers is concerned. Maybe even 1/4 mile times
I believe audible mayhem ran a 11.8 on a 150 shot and slicks. I think he would have easily ran faster than that if he tested it longer.

Get a utec first if you plan on 125 - 150 shot.

I've gotta do a few things before I put the 150 jets in mine, mainly a VLSD! One wheel pushing the car down the track is no fun, unless you like it squirrelly!
Old 11-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DAMNIT!!!! how did i miss this?? i hate when all my friends are fighting...

ok, hand down, nitrous is an inexpensive way to run just as fast as a turbo when you want, BUT the car is just an NA car the rest of the time.

i ran 11.8 with seriously about 2000 grand total worth of mods. that includes a full nitrous setup, slicks and a utec. the torque curves with nitrous CANT BE TOUCHED with any of the turbo kits in comparison. if they could... why would the big turbo guys ( throw me in this category ) using nitrous for their launch.

i was making 410 foot pounds of tq at 3000 rpms in a 1/4 of a second with a push of a button with ONLY a hundred shot. chimmike, you are my boy and i talk to you daily but you might be wrong on this one

you have to take nitrous for what it is, you can spend a 1000 dollars and go just as fast as a bolt on 5000-8000 turbo kit. it is very reliable if done correctly...

cant we all get along...

Quick Reply: Just a couple reason why turbo=headache & nitrous=fun