Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

Just a couple reason why turbo=headache & nitrous=fun

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 03:21 AM
one350zfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Well not everyone has the exact same hp, tq, and wheels as me. I know Law was making just over 380 and ran a 12.4 on 19s. Taurran is another. I don't think with the variance in dynos that 10-15 hp is going to make a drastic difference...
Well, before I ran my 12.5 with a 125 shot, I ran a 12.9 with the 100 shot. I think 15-25whp makes a difference. But if your saying that your cars would dyno the same if put on the same machine, then maybe you can't drive
Old 11-10-2006, 05:24 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
i ran 11.9 at 115 on a 125 shot... hehehe

i love when people say that they arent good drag racers, that to me pretty much means you cant drive...

drag racing is basically taking off and driving your car....

ahhhh 11s.....I'm gonna catch your nitrous times Jeremy.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:49 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by one350zfan
Well, before I ran my 12.5 with a 125 shot, I ran a 12.9 with the 100 shot. I think 15-25whp makes a difference. But if your saying that your cars would dyno the same if put on the same machine, then maybe you can't drive
15-20 Peak WHP can be drastically different on 2 different cars depending on where they made that power. Most of his increase in power is near bottom end and midrange of the power band. In other words his real gain wasn't even mesaured. His delta in power occured much earlier then peak which will net a LOT more power down low that is not even recorded unless you are looking at his dyno. Regardless 10-15 WHP isn't enough to alter a 1/4 mile time by .4 assuming both runs were identical aside from the hp difference...
Old 11-10-2006, 07:14 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

15-20 Peak WHP can be drastically different on 2 different cars depending on where they made that power. Most of his increase in power is near bottom end and midrange of the power band. In other words his real gain wasn't even mesaured. His delta in power occured much earlier then peak which will net a LOT more power down low that is not even recorded unless you are looking at his dyno. Regardless 10-15 WHP isn't enough to alter a 1/4 mile time by .4 assuming both runs were identical aside from the hp difference...

Gotta keep in mind that the torque numbers between 100 shot and 125 shot are NOT 25 lbs/tq. Jeremy made 410 lbs/tq @ 3k rpms with 100 shot. He only had 2 or 3 mods on top of the spray, so that roughly 140-160 lbs/tq from a 100 shot. On 125 shot is close to 180-200 lbs/tq. Nitrous gives you gobs of tq. And these aren't even peak numbers.

Last edited by Old School; 11-10-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:35 AM
daz311x

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
ok, hand down, nitrous is an inexpensive way to run just as fast as a turbo when you want, BUT the car is just an NA car the rest of the time.

i ran 11.8 with seriously about 2000 grand total worth of mods. that includes a full nitrous setup, slicks and a utec. the torque curves with nitrous CANT BE TOUCHED with any of the turbo kits in comparison. if they could... why would the big turbo guys ( throw me in this category ) using nitrous for their launch.

Very nice times
Old 11-10-2006, 09:44 AM
one350zfan

Well, if gains were mainly in mid-range then I guess that might not help in drag racing because who's in mid-range all that long.

I can tell you that track prep, temp and altitude could make some of that difference up! I know Tuarran runs at a well kept track and Jeremy's, well, I couldn't leave that **** hole soon enough!
Old 11-10-2006, 10:24 AM
MIAPLAYA

Well, if gains were mainly in mid-range then I guess that might not help in drag racing because who's in mid-range all that long.

I can tell you that track prep, temp and altitude could make some of that difference up! I know Tuarran runs at a well kept track and Jeremy's, well, I couldn't leave that **** hole soon enough!
And maybe thats the issue. There are only 2 1/4 mile tracks in Southern Cali. One is LACR which is as smooth and prepped as a rally course. The other is Cali Speedway which is almost never open for the public (drag) and when it is its usually 100+ outside and dusty as crap. Oh and just for reference they are both over 2 hours away from me.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:29 PM
dTor

Could you clarify your reasoning on this? Unless dragracing has changed in the last few months, I don't imagine anybody is at any particular range all that long, i.e. you want to get the vehicle to constantly accelerate, not get to XXXX rpms and hold it there. As long as you have traction, I'd say a gain in any range, for us "regular Joes" anyway, would be beneficial. Maybe what I consider "midrange" is different than what you consider it to be. I like to think of it on our cars (with redline being 6500) as about 2500-4500. Am I off?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:50 PM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by dTor
Could you clarify your reasoning on this? Unless dragracing has changed in the last few months, I don't imagine anybody is at any particular range all that long, i.e. you want to get the vehicle to constantly accelerate, not get to XXXX rpms and hold it there. As long as you have traction, I'd say a gain in any range, for us "regular Joes" anyway, would be beneficial. Maybe what I consider "midrange" is different than what you consider it to be. I like to think of it on our cars (with redline being 6500) as about 2500-4500. Am I off?
Well, I guess its different for me because I have a utec and DR's so my redline is bumped up and I can launch at higher rpms. Consider this, I launch around 4500 with little feathering. On nos I was shifting around 6800 - 7000 and with a power shift I don't think the needle was in the 4000 rpm range all that much.

To be honest it was a struggle fighting the car down the track with nos because of the open differential. I mean, I paid attention to the rpm's as much as I could but was more concerned with keeping the car straight. We're going out to the track next weekend so I plan to get the shift points down a little better now that I know what to expect from the handling of the car.

Maybe I'll revise my statement after the next trip, but it seems to me on my car specifically, I'd rather see gains up top than in mid-range.

The only time your car should be in the 3000 rpm range on these cars is on the launch with street tires. If you see the needle drop below 4200 between shifts with a stock redline, then your not shifting nearly fast enough IMO.

Hey, I'm just an "Average Joe" too...with nitrous!

Last edited by one350zfan; 11-10-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:13 PM
dTor

OK, I gotcha. In your case, I can see your point. In my case, with an auto and stock shift points, the higher torque in the lower rpm range will be more beneficial to me than you since I'll get to use more of that low end grunt that nitrous is good for.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:53 PM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by dTor
OK, I gotcha. In your case, I can see your point. In my case, with an auto and stock shift points, the higher torque in the lower rpm range will be more beneficial to me than you since I'll get to use more of that low end grunt that nitrous is good for.
True!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:21 AM
04silvrz

what a great read this thread was.