Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

MSD RPM Window Switch Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 07:33 AM
McDan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MSD RPM Window Switch Question

Does anyone know the part number for MSD's RPM window switch that will work with the 350Z? I called MSD and they said they need to know the voltage output information (5V square wave, 7V, etc). Does anyone know this information or any other information about how to hook up a window switch on our cars?

I have the ZEX kit ready to install, but I will not run nitrous without the window switch (in addition to the full throttle switch).
I don't want to go in to redline/fuel cut while spraying.

Thanks,

DAn
Old 04-04-2003, 12:38 PM
Zaphod 350z

I have a cheaper solution for you. All you need is some wire and a relay. Run a bridge off the shift light wiring and connect it to the relay. Use a multimeter to see what kind of charge the wire from the LED is sending. Wire the the relay in line with the switch for the nitrous. Wire the relay so that it's natural state is closed and when whatever polarity is supplied by the shift light, the relay opens turing the system off. Then set your shift light for 6700 rpm, keeping in mind that the shift light illuminates 500 rpm prior to its setting. So when you approach redline, the light comes on to alert you of your upcoming shift and it kills the nitrous preventing any chance of spray after fuel cut.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:10 PM
McDan

Yeah, that thought recently crossed my mind. However, 500 rpm before your set point the light flashes to warn you of the upcoming rpm limit. This would open and close the relay pretty fast, turning the nitrous on and off rapidly. I guess it might not hurt anything, and you could set the rev limit (which would shut the n2o off completely about 200 rpm before redline to give you some safety margin. You wouldn't have a low rpm ON point with this method, but who cares. Another problem would possibly be how the shift light is hooked up, whether it's a separate wire or if it's all integrated to the gauge cluster.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:16 PM
xHypex

I don't know for sure whether this will work for you, but look into using a Harlan Rpm Switch. http://www.harlan-engineering.com/store/store.html

I am using 2 Harlan Rpm Switches and 1 Harlan Rpm Switch on my '99 Maxima for various things on my car (nitrous included).

You want to use a Rpm switch so you don't hit the rev limiter, but you also don't want to spray at too low a rpm. Since the engine is turning slower at lower rpms you're injecting a lot more nitrous per combustion. The engine can only handle so much torque before problems occur. On VQ motors I've always heard to spray above ~3500 or so.
-hype
Old 06-05-2003, 07:14 AM
McDan

Default UPDATE

I received the MSD RPM window switch, modified for one-cylinder operation. We had determined that it should work fine. I'm gonna test it out here either tonight or by this weekend to make sure it works correctly. I'll keep ya posted. Also awaiting a replacement ZEX control unit from Summit after ZEX refused to step up and solve their problem with an acceptable solution.

Dan
Old 06-05-2003, 07:30 AM
TheBigShow

the window switch is a good idea, but i don't think it's worth it. i didn't have one on my old car, and i won't put one on the z if i decide to spray. just pay attention to what u're doin. if u have a fpss, i believe that would cut your nitrous when your fuel cuts off anyway. get an ignition with a softer cutoff, i.e. one that doesn't cut fuel, just spark.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:29 AM
McDan

MSD RPM Window switch is officially working now! I'm using the 3200-6400rpm pills. Used one of the signal wires at one of the ignition coil packs for the signal input.

Dan
Old 08-05-2003, 07:52 PM
Jspec350z

Will the idea of a relay off the shift light work? Where would you tap the light? The MSd realy is only $100 so that is not to bad either. Which is the better idea?
Old 08-06-2003, 05:07 AM
McDan

The shift light most likely will not work because it is probably integrated into the gauge cluster. The computer communicates with the dash gauges by a communications channel, no separate wires running to the shift light, speedometer, odometer, TCS Light, etc.

Dan
Old 08-21-2003, 12:11 PM
Jspec350z

Where is the MSD switch connected? Is it to a tach reference wire or the actual coil? Could you take a picture of the orange tag so I can explain to MSD what was modified? I looked at the schematics and see there are 3 wires to each coil which one do I use?
Old 08-21-2003, 02:32 PM
McDan

Originally posted by Jspec350z
Where is the MSD switch connected? Is it to a tach reference wire or the actual coil? Could you take a picture of the orange tag so I can explain to MSD what was modified? I looked at the schematics and see there are 3 wires to each coil which one do I use?
MSD is connected directly to the wire at the coil. Each coil has 3 wires. 1 is a solid colored ground. 2 is I don't remember the color to the battery. 3 is a color and striped wire to the ECU. If you look at two different coil packs, the wire that is different colors between the two packs (wire 3 above) is the one to tap into. Any of the six coils will work. This wire is the signal from the ECU to fire the plug. This signal tells a power transistor built into the ignition coil to fire the plug. MSD should know what they need to do. I had to slap them around a little bit for them to come up with an application for the 350Z. Even though he screwed me out of $30, ask to speak to Joe Lapille. They only need to modify the standard window switch "for single cylinder operation". Supposively they now have a switch part number that comes already modified for single cylinder operation.

Dan
Old 08-21-2003, 03:05 PM
02trex

McDan is correct. MSD has released a window switch that will work on our cars without modification to the switch. Check out their website under new products (2003). I should receive mine next week.

Last edited by 02trex; 08-21-2003 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:13 PM
Jspec350z

I just picked up a NOS 15879 Window switch on ebay for like $10 I think it is the same as the msd switch!! I am going to send it to them for the modification. Hopefully they will do it for the $30. BTW is there anyplace that sells single pills? I just want a 3200 and 6300 pill ? Or do either of you guys want to sell me 2 ? I am flexible in the actually pill .
Old 08-22-2003, 09:04 PM
Jspec350z

Adjustable RPM module

This was pretty cool so I figured I would share it with you guys
Old 11-09-2003, 04:27 PM
alex30327

Does anyonw know if on the MSD DIS rpm window switch, do you hook up the 5 volt square wire to the coil pack or the orange wire to the coil negative terminal?
Old 11-09-2003, 06:42 PM
belerin

The MSD DIS doesn't work out-of-the-box with the Z. I have been speaking with the peeps over at MSD and they said that even the one-cylinder-type DIS switch, Part Number 89561, needs to be sent in to MSD to be reprogrammed for the 5-volt signal wave. The cost is $35.00 + shipping. If you already had that done, I believe the 5-volt signal wave wire connects to the coil pack.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:41 PM
webcarconnection

So is 2 mod to the MSD, Voltage and cylinder...right!
Old 11-10-2003, 12:06 PM
alex30327

Originally posted by belerin
The MSD DIS doesn't work out-of-the-box with the Z. I have been speaking with the peeps over at MSD and they said that even the one-cylinder-type DIS switch, Part Number 89561, needs to be sent in to MSD to be reprogrammed for the 5-volt signal wave. The cost is $35.00 + shipping. If you already had that done, I believe the 5-volt signal wave wire connects to the coil pack.
I just got off the phone with a MSD technition, and was told that my RPM switch (part # 89561) is already modified and will work on my car? I thought that it would have to be sent in, but I guess not. I'll see if it works. I'm still confused if it needs to be modified or not, since I have heard conflicting stories.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:43 PM
alex30327

I have the MSD "Dis-Ras" RPM window switch, part number 89561. does anyone have this same RPM switch, that needed to be modified to work on the Z. The MSD people said it would work on my car, but I don't know if the guy I was talking to knew what he was talking about.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:11 PM
02trex

89561 is the switch I have. When I first talked to MSD because I could not get the switch to operate, they told me different ways to hook it up and that it should work. Then, after a "tip" I contacted Ruebin at MSD and was informed that the switch would NOT work. Call MSD and ask for Reubin. I sent mine in to them and should be receiving it back next week.

Quick Reply: MSD RPM Window Switch Question