Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

SERIOUSLY thinking about comming the the darkside

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Eatroost450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERIOUSLY thinking about comming the the darkside

Hey guys. Now that I am a proud owner of a Silver 2003 Touring Edition Z with only 30k on her I already have the itch. Since I bought the car I have been on this site about what is really best for my money and after thoroughly going threw all performance parts FI seems to be out of my budgeting grasps So I know that the next big HP mod is nitrous. After researching what I could threw this site I made the decision and I am going for it. I will be getting a few of the parts threw the holidays and should be done with the build by feb. As a lot of the members did I will be going with a stealth setup. Here is a list of mods that I plan on going with and a few questions that I still have before I start to buy

I was either going to go with the new 75 shot ZEX 350z kit or the 75 shot dynotune 350z kit. They seem to be fairly the same but I noticed the the zex kit has some sort of fuel controller so that my A/f is always on point no matter what bottle pressure I have. Does this mean that I would not need a tune? The zex kit also comes with a TPS controlled WOT switch that I would have to buy seperatly with my dynotune kit. So as far as I understand the zex kit has both a A/f watcher(which would be the same as the AF lean shut off) and it also comes with the window switch/TPS that dynotune sells minius the gear lock out? Am I correct so far?

Zex kit
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Category_Code=

Dynotune Kit
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=259

Other then the basic kit I am going to get my accessories where going to be as followed.

An electronic bottle opener( either zex or Dynotune)

Electronic bottle blanket heater (either zex or dynotune)

Purge valve ( plumbed threw hood by window as seen on the site)

One step colder plugs (Preff NGK)

Blow down tube (in case I go to the track)

a needle style Nitrous prssure guage

The dynotune purge/arm/heater switch

the twin pod cubby hole set up (have to find name of builder)( for my 2 guages)

So is there anything else that you guys would put in? Is the UTEC or the maximizer a very good idea for just a 75 shot? I may also raise my shot to a 100 this is done by the jets correct? I have a lot to learn since this is my first N20 build..But it would be a fun winter project
Old 11-28-2008, 10:18 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

If I were you, I'd start off small. Start with a 35 shot to see how your car likes the nitrous first. Basically, test the waters, then bump it up to 50 then 75. Remember that these shots are rated at the crank and not at the wheels, so if you dyno, don't expect to see an increase that matches or exceeds the shot number.

As far as the ZEX kit goes, I don't know too much about the fuel controller. What I do know is that it is that the "Active Fuel Control Technology" can adjust fuel 3% in either direction (more or less) to compensate for the pressure drop after using up the nitrous after a drag strip pass, for example.
Here's what I found regarding this:
ZEX reinvented nitrous delivery by designing a nozzle that atomizes fuel consistently and effectively. The Fuel Shear Technology™ works when high-pressure nitrous oxide gas exits through the outer edge of the nozzle and shears away the fuel passing though the transfer tube. Since the fuel is drawn out by the vacuum caused by the gas moving over the tube orifice, change in bottle pressure results in a corresponding change in vacuum and fuel draw. This is ZEX's patented Active Fuel Control.
For the ZEX's brain, it is similar to Dynotune's window switch. Basically, they're the same thing, except Dynotune's module is a bit more "advanced" with more features.

Also, don't get an analog (needle) nitrous pressure gauge. You can't get an accurate reading of your bottle pressure with that. Don't short yourself with low end gauges, and get the proper digital gauge for nitrous. Bottle pressure if crucial with nitrous in order to get the proper atomization, and the needle will barely do the job.

If you get the cubby twin gauges holder or whatever it's called, you have remember that you're losing that space. For most people, it doesn't matter, but I actually using that space (as little as it is). So, I personally drilled holes and used spacers (for clearance behind the navi cubby) for my gauges.

A maximizer isn't all that useful for a small shot, but I guess it can come handy once you go into triple digits. However, I'd recommend a proper tune, which means you'll need a separate EMS. Whether you choose to go with UTEC or something more higher end is up to you.

Lastly, playing with the jet sizes (for both fuel and nitrous) will yield greater or lesser power gains and causes changes in your AFR, also.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:22 AM
MikeEwithTheZ

I liked the zex kit alot compared to the other kits on the market because of its simplicity off the basic kit, but if your looking for the fuel control to do much i wouldnt expect it.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Eatroost450

Hey thanks for the replys guys. 3hree5ive0ero do you have any pictures of your install. I would love to keep the cubby hole open to put stuff in(Since I do have my ipod setup their for my headunit) and it may look a little more flush like that also. I was also thinking of dropping the dynotune n20 control center and putting an arming switch, purge valve and bottle heater switch in my coin holder. That would make the install a true stealth setup the only downfall is where would I then mount my n20 pressure guage? I seen another member did this on the site. Do you guys know if they make a accurate needle style guage? I hate the way the analog digital gauges look. Also where did you install your window switch and TPS sensor I would like to have it tucked away best as possible?

Besides my personal prefs on the guages I have a pretty good understanding on what I got going on. I am set on the dynotune kit. It seems to be a lot more customizable and the price is right. I will definitly "test the waters" with all the setups and get it tuned. I plan on having a good powerbuilding reliable setup.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:17 AM
coachk
Banned

+1 on everything 3 5 0 said....get a digital pressure gauge

Old 11-29-2008, 01:55 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Here's my thread that shows my entire set up:
https://my350z.com/forum/nitrous-oxi...-play-too.html

BTW, analog is the needle style and digital is the one that shows numbers only.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Eatroost450

3hree5ive0ero You have an awsome setup CONGRATS I really like the way you installed the guages in the cubbyhole. It all looks a lot cleaner like that I think. I was also jumping around some sites and noticed that NX seems to have an awsome new setup and was wondering if you guys saw it. It is called the octane series guages and I think their awsome. http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/octaneseries.htm
It seems like they can take place of a lot of switches and sensors and monitor bottle pressures What do you guys think? 500 dollars seems a little rough but if you get enough features it may pay itself off

Yeah I knew that haha sorry. What my question is is if you guys know if there is a company that makes an acurate needle style guage I think they are a lot more appealing..

Are you guys all running a UTEC or another similar controller or are you just using the 2 and 1 switch by dynotune?

Also if anyone knows the member that has his switches mounted in the coin holder let me know I want to get in contact with him.. or at least see some good pictures of the setup I think that is an awsome setup for switches if done properly..

Thanks in advance guys

Last edited by Eatroost450; 12-01-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:57 PM
GolfinZ

If I do nitrous again, I am getting the NANO technology, no need for a bottle heater and it keeps bottle psi at whatever you set it at. No loss in power FTW
Old 12-01-2008, 10:24 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Eatroost450,

Thanks for the compliments. I like making use of that space (holds my mints and my insurance card) so that's why I used spacers to push out the gauges (spacers for clearance in the back).

And the Octane Series from NX is a bit of an old news. Many on the boards have claimed they will be the first ones to try, but none actually followed through. I'm still waiting on a personal, non-biased review on those. If I had the money, I'd love to try those out. They just look sexy, not to mention all the features.

I don't have any sort of tuning done on mine. So, I'm running on stock ECU with 1 step colder plugs and a rich set up (I'd rather risk a rich backfire vs a lean kaboom).

As for the member with the switches in his coinholder, I recall seeing that as well. He was around when I was getting started on nitrous, but he's no longer active at all, I believe. However, if you search around the nitrous forum (which is tiny compared to others), you'll find his pictures and posts discussing how he did it (or at least, that he did it).
Old 12-03-2008, 01:18 AM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

the twin pod cubby hole set up (have to find name of builder)( for my 2 guages)
Its crawford z i believe. Yeah, doing it 3hree's way is pimp. If you got some cash to spend, get the dynotune a/f lean shutdown switch and innovative wideband. That combination should prevent lean conditions and save your engine for a cost of $400. Nitrous is the shiznit. I can't wait to drive my car again, its been so long Stupid deployment!
Old 12-03-2008, 09:21 AM
coachk
Banned

The one in my pic is the Crawford cubby gauge holder.