Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

Anyone have direct port on a hr engine planning to do a direct port

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Cubano4ever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have direct port on a hr engine planning to do a direct port

Do anyone have a direct port setup in a hr engine im planning to do a direct port on my car here in a shop in florida i want to know some things if i can use my stock intake manifold to do it ... Im planning to do a dry direct port kit and add a big fuel system to add the extra fuel by the injectors do anyone know about it more
Old 11-13-2012, 03:51 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) Why direct port?
2) Why stock intake manifold?
3) Why dry?

Without more info about your goals, those three choices are abnormal.

If you're doing built internals for a big shot or multistage, why wouldn't you use a manifold that is set up well for direct port?

-or-

If you aren't on forged internals, you should be on a wet setup with the jet in the intake.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Cubano4ever

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
1) Why direct port?
2) Why stock intake manifold?
3) Why dry?

Without more info about your goals, those three choices are abnormal.

If you're doing built internals for a big shot or multistage, why wouldn't you use a manifold that is set up well for direct port?

-or-

If you aren't on forged internals, you should be on a wet setup with the jet in the intake.
Direct port is alot safer tham a wet shot there is less chances of blowing the plastic intake manifold ... Right now im at 150 shot wet and i want to go up to 165-175 and i dont feel safe doing it with a wet shot
Old 11-13-2012, 11:10 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

wow bro you need alot more research. direct port has nothing to do with the type of shot it is its just one nozzle per intake runner. wet vs dry you wont find anyone running dry at high power because its alot harder to tune for you need some way to tell the computer nitrous is on and to compensate for it, wet is much safer hence why all big power kits are wet trust me you dont know more then the engineers of the companys who design these things. as far as blowing your intake, you have been watching too much fast and the furious, only way thats going to happen is a nitrous backfire which has just as much a chance on dry and wet shot, both fuel and nitrous are in the intake(fuel injectors spray into the intake) and it will crack any manifold you have to find some way to pool fuel in the intake for that to happen which means running nitrous at too low a rpm or something other stupid.
Originally Posted by Cubano4ever
Direct port is alot safer tham a wet shot there is less chances of blowing the plastic intake manifold ... Right now im at 150 shot wet and i want to go up to 165-175 and i dont feel safe doing it with a wet shot
Old 11-14-2012, 07:06 AM
Cubano4ever

Originally Posted by jerryd87
wow bro you need alot more research. direct port has nothing to do with the type of shot it is its just one nozzle per intake runner. wet vs dry you wont find anyone running dry at high power because its alot harder to tune for you need some way to tell the computer nitrous is on and to compensate for it, wet is much safer hence why all big power kits are wet trust me you dont know more then the engineers of the companys who design these things. as far as blowing your intake, you have been watching too much fast and the furious, only way thats going to happen is a nitrous backfire which has just as much a chance on dry and wet shot, both fuel and nitrous are in the intake(fuel injectors spray into the intake) and it will crack any manifold you have to find some way to pool fuel in the intake for that to happen which means running nitrous at too low a rpm or something other stupid.
Ive seen people blow the intake manifold with just 75-100 shot and having a direct port dry and adding the extra fuel by the injectors on the tune you have almost no chance of having a backfire cus the injectors do watever the computer send them to do .. I have been so lucky that every time i get a issue with my nitrous selenoid nothing have blow yet .. My nitrous selinoid stock working one time in the middle of a race using nitrous .. Them it stuck open another day and freeze all my air intake ... Having 1 less selinoid to worry about i think will be ok ... Is really hard to see a injector fail .. Really really hard.. The one that told me to do this is the owner of a shop that have alot of experience with nitrous ... Wet shot is for guys that only want to spray 75-100 shot when you gonna go bigger like 150+ wet dont work .. Direct port is the way to go
Old 11-14-2012, 07:50 AM
wird06

Ive seen people blow the intake manifold with just 75-100 shot and having a direct port dry and adding the extra fuel by the injectors on the tune you have almost no chance of having a backfire cus the injectors do watever the computer send them to do .. I have been so lucky that every time i get a issue with my nitrous selenoid nothing have blow yet .. My nitrous selinoid stock working one time in the middle of a race using nitrous .. Them it stuck open another day and freeze all my air intake ... Having 1 less selinoid to worry about i think will be ok ... Is really hard to see a injector fail .. Really really hard.. The one that told me to do this is the owner of a shop that have alot of experience with nitrous ... Wet shot is for guys that only want to spray 75-100 shot when you gonna go bigger like 150+ wet dont work .. Direct port is the way to go
Holy crap batman I thought my redneck southern *** had horrible spelling/typing skills, you got me beat.
On another note nitrous backfires are generally caused by leaking nitrous solinoids, so how exacly is removing the fuel soleniod going to help.Also large overlap cams or low rpm engagement are more prone to backfires as well. Injectors do fail, Ive actually seen it happen a few time ( on crappy maintained vechiles generally).
Anyways take it for what its worth.
P.S (.......) several periods in a row does not end a sentence, its a delay or pause. The end of a sentence should use one of several punctuation marks (ex. ? ! or . )
Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 AM
2bad240

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

in our engines the nitrous backfires resulting from big shots are caused by the large quantity of fuel you are adding and unequal distribution in the plenum resulting in pooling or puddling of fuel and it can ignite which causes the exposition.

I have witnessed this first hand as when my plenum blew up it pushed my hood up and I watched the fuel burn off.

direct port is the best solution if you want to go with larger than a 100 shot. wet or dry is up to you. I went with dry for the simplicity. no fuel to plumb in. no fuel solenoid to fail. just swapped injectors and got a tune and it works great...
Old 11-14-2012, 08:13 AM
Old Rice

Originally Posted by 2bad240
in our engines the nitrous backfires resulting from big shots are caused by the large quantity of fuel you are adding and unequal distribution in the plenum resulting in pooling or puddling of fuel and it can ignite which causes the exposition.

I have witnessed this first hand as when my plenum blew up it pushed my hood up and I watched the fuel burn off.

direct port is the best solution if you want to go with larger than a 100 shot. wet or dry is up to you. I went with dry for the simplicity. no fuel to plumb in. no fuel solenoid to fail. just swapped injectors and got a tune and it works great...
2BAD...I believe you went dry due to the physical location contraints of your DP jet entrypoints below the lower plenum. Dry provided you a smaller nozzle footprint to deal with and less hosing\hardline, since you went without a distrib block. You made up the fuel contraint via the injector.

I am thinking along your logic there?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 AM
wird06

The setup looks good to btw, what injectors did you go with? Just wondering, why did you use braided and not hard lines, wouldnt it take up less space?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Cubano4ever

2bad240 the same thing you did is what a shop is gonna do for me ... Im gonna use a big fuel pump big injectors and do the same thing ... Did you use uprev for tuning???
Old 11-14-2012, 08:57 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

very very very wrong it is just as easy to have a back fire from being too lean as from fuel puddling. how are you signaling the ecu to add the extra fuel? the only ecu i know of is the newest haltech and the pro efi that can trigger a specific map for the ecu to go to when it gets a signal. other then that anything else is going to be lean for a second before the ecu sees it and reacts. wet shot you have a chance of backfire from fuel puddling, as long as you have a window switch set to 3k this isnt possible. if your trying to engage it before then your just stupid and deserve a blown engine.

if you say its hard to see a injector fail you obviously dont have very much experience with cars since injectors fail MUCH more often then nitrous solenoids, ive NEVER seen a nitrous solenoid fail and thats what most of the people back home run, i cant even count how many injectors ive seen fail.

finally you keep saying wet dosnt work about 150 but the fact of the matter is that EVERY single direct port kit is a wet shot, in order to do a dry direct port you have to custom build the kit yourself. not to mention everyone serious about racing uses wet shots, all the way up to the outlaw 10.5 guys running 5 stages and 2000+ hp of nitrous, there pre throttle body and tb spacer alone are 300 hp wet each, primary nozzles on the runners(they have 2 stages here) are usually 500 hp per stage and the final stage on the inside of the runners is usually 300-400hp. every single one of those stages is a wet shot. 3 of them being direct port but its still a wet shot, no one runs dry because you still have just as big of a chance to backfire plus now you have the additional risk of going lean and blowing the engine so your doubling your chance of failure.

i ran nothing but nitrous on my camaros your not going to convince me because everyone who argues like you do ends up blowing there engine from running too lean because everything is too slow its not possible to time something triggered in a ecu perfectly to the nitrous which again is why everyone runs wet its safer. im willing to be if you have solenoid issues its either because you bought cheap crap and expect it to be as good as the more expensive stuff or installer error and you have a loose connection somewhere
Old 11-14-2012, 09:35 AM
HarleyDobbs

very very very wrong it is just as easy to have a back fire from being too lean as from fuel puddling. how are you signaling the ecu to add the extra fuel? the only ecu i know of is the newest haltech and the pro efi that can trigger a specific map for the ecu to go to when it gets a signal. other then that anything else is going to be lean for a second before the ecu sees it and reacts. wet shot you have a chance of backfire from fuel puddling, as long as you have a window switch set to 3k this isnt possible. if your trying to engage it before then your just stupid and deserve a blown engine.

if you say its hard to see a injector fail you obviously dont have very much experience with cars since injectors fail MUCH more often then nitrous solenoids, ive NEVER seen a nitrous solenoid fail and thats what most of the people back home run, i cant even count how many injectors ive seen fail.

finally you keep saying wet dosnt work about 150 but the fact of the matter is that EVERY single direct port kit is a wet shot, in order to do a dry direct port you have to custom build the kit yourself. not to mention everyone serious about racing uses wet shots, all the way up to the outlaw 10.5 guys running 5 stages and 2000+ hp of nitrous, there pre throttle body and tb spacer alone are 300 hp wet each, primary nozzles on the runners(they have 2 stages here) are usually 500 hp per stage and the final stage on the inside of the runners is usually 300-400hp. every single one of those stages is a wet shot. 3 of them being direct port but its still a wet shot, no one runs dry because you still have just as big of a chance to backfire plus now you have the additional risk of going lean and blowing the engine so your doubling your chance of failure.

i ran nothing but nitrous on my camaros your not going to convince me because everyone who argues like you do ends up blowing there engine from running too lean because everything is too slow its not possible to time something triggered in a ecu perfectly to the nitrous which again is why everyone runs wet its safer. im willing to be if you have solenoid issues its either because you bought cheap crap and expect it to be as good as the more expensive stuff or installer error and you have a loose connection somewhere
When are you gonna learn this is not a muscle car forum!!! Man you are a pain in the @$$! Its does say my350Z.com not mycamaro.com
Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Cubano4ever

Ive have my 350z for some years already and never have a problem with my injectors and i have been using nitrous for like 9 months and have change my nitrous selinoid 1 time already and ive have many problem with them .. My nitrous kit is zex wet i paid 850 for just the kit so i dont think i buy anything cheap ... Like the other guy said this is not a muscle car forum .. Nobody here run 5 stages so why do you talk about it
Old 11-14-2012, 10:42 AM
wird06

Originally Posted by HarleyDobbs
When are you gonna learn this is not a muscle car forum!!! Man you are a pain in the @$$! Its does say my350Z.com not mycamaro.com
Nitrous is Nitrous regardless of the vechile it is attached to, the principle of the matter is the same. If you do want to see a complicated system do look at high hp classes. Also Harley if you are so educated on the nitrous platforms, explain the previous thread you created.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:57 AM
HarleyDobbs

Originally Posted by wird06
Nitrous is Nitrous regardless of the vechile it is attached to, the principle of the matter is the same. If you do want to see a complicated system do look at high hp classes. Also Harley if you are so educated on the nitrous platforms, explain the previous thread you created.
Never said I knew anything about Nitrous which I why I'm posting on the forum so please get off the other dudes nuts. This would be my first nitrous car to be honest so instead of buying parts and being pissed that I got not enough or too much I am educating myself.

Also my thread is talking about 150 2 stage and I'm trying to get a good feel for what's going to be better in the long run and it looks like DP. As you can see other have posted very fruitful info and others keep talking about their V8. If it was all the same then why are kits most of the time model specific? Why are there dry vs wet kits? If nitrous was the same all around then would only make one kit and make it cylinder specific (inline 4, inline 6, V6, V8 ect)

No one between this thread and mine has asked about 5 stage anything, at best 2 stage. Principal is not the same because on most set up for Z's you have to run a wet kit vs other cars you can use dry much easier. This is based on what I've read in these forums.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:04 AM
wird06

Originally Posted by HarleyDobbs
Never said I knew anything about Nitrous which I why I'm posting on the forum so please get off the other dudes nuts. This would be my first nitrous car to be honest so instead of buying parts and being pissed that I got not enough or too much I am educating myself.

Also my thread is talking about 150 2 stage and I'm trying to get a good feel for what's going to be better in the long run and it looks like DP. As you can see other have posted very fruitful info and others keep talking about their V8. If it was all the same then why are kits most of the time model specific? Why are there dry vs wet kits? If nitrous was the same all around then would only make one kit and make it cylinder specific (inline 4, inline 6, V6, V8 ect)

No one between this thread and mine has asked about 5 stage anything, at best 2 stage. Principal is not the same because on most set up for Z's you have to run a wet kit vs other cars you can use dry much easier. This is based on what I've read in these forums.
My entire post was oriented towards you, saying someone was a PITA. Also very very good information comes from the V8 crowd, you could probly learn a little from them. Yes i can understand when it gets into the tunning and specifcs you do need information specifically for our plateform.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:10 AM
HarleyDobbs

Originally Posted by wird06
My entire post was oriented towards you, saying someone was a PITA. Also very very good information comes from the V8 crowd, you could probly learn a little from them. Yes i can understand when it gets into the tunning and specifcs you do need information specifically for our plateform.
Please tell me what I can learn from a V8? Tell me their good information...as you can see I'm always open to learn which is why I posted initially. Please do share...
Old 11-14-2012, 11:27 AM
wird06

http://www.noswizard.com/nos-technical-information
http://www.starracing.com/nitrous_oxide_general.htm
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...pros-cons.html
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149021

Quick Search... these are only sites my web browers will allow.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 AM
HarleyDobbs

Thank you! That's all we want! Put the info out there where we can find it and I'm sure most of us are willing to read it. Don't just say there's a lot we can learn and talk about 15 stage hi-power set ups when no one is asking that lol I appreciate it and I'm sure the thread owner does to. I take a read and let you know what I find. Thanks again for sharing.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Old Rice

I learned a lot from this one....

http://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-oxide-10/

Quick Reply: Anyone have direct port on a hr engine planning to do a direct port