VQ35HR 4.08 Gears and Nitrous!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 PM
xslangx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VQ35HR 4.08 Gears and Nitrous!

Hey everyone,

just your average lurker here.

Just aquired a Nitrous Express VQ35HR-VQ37VHR specific kit with starting jets at 75-100-150-200 hp levels.

I am going to be running 370z spark plugs, stock tune, and my current mods are (In order I did them)

HKS replica exhaust
JWT popchargers
Mishimoto Radiator/fan shroud
Coolant throttle body bypass mod
Test Pipes
Megan Racing Headers

I just acquired a Carbonetics 1.5 LSD from a forum member as I have had 4.08 gears laying around, and wanted to make sure I was only opening that diff 1 time!

As for the Nitrous, I am going to start with 75 shot but how imperative is it thhat I have a tune?

I have a DYNOTUNE progressive controller/Wot switch/Window switch which I will have 40% start with 3 second ramp time.

I have opened quite a few threads in regards to nitrous but I was wondering should I be getting a tune? I just want to make sure everything is safe, I have an automatic bottle heater set @ 1000psi, purge, fuel safety switch, etc etc all the safety aspects of the nitrous, and only want to do it once.

Bottom line questions:

1. Will the VQ35HR handle the 75 shot reliably, it has 92k WELL maintained miles, all synthetic fluids.

2. Will the combination of 4.08's and the nitrous present serious traction issues? Even with progressive and 285' 19's.

3. Should I really consider getting a professional tune?

4. What do you think my 0-60 could be with these, I am a very skilled driver and I know it is a stupid question, could I be banking around 4.5?

Sorry for the long thread
Old 11-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Cubano4ever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think 75 shot will be ok even without a tune when i start on nitrous i start at 100 shot tuned i did everything right cus a tune is 300-400 and to repair the engine is like 6k so think about it if you have so many things for safety them finish it right tuning ir and if you have a hr start at 100 shot tuned it will be ok . I did the same thing im telling you to do and ive never have a problem .. Also buy a wideband so you can check you AFR when you on nitrous .. Hope this help for you
Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

#1. It will handle it just fine, these motors can handle plenty of abuse as long as you don't get carried away. Keep everything in good shape and your a/f in the right range.

#2. Yes. I spin my 285's from time to time on stock gearing in second gear on a 100 shot. Progressive will help a lot though, so you may be ok.

#3. Yes, if not right away, before you do any heavy racing. Much easier to tune the car and know it's safe than guess and have problems.

#4. No idea, never measured any 0-60 times, as it's largely dependant on surface prep.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:56 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by xslangx
1. Will the VQ35HR handle the 75 shot reliably, it has 92k WELL maintained miles, all synthetic fluids.

2. Will the combination of 4.08's and the nitrous present serious traction issues? Even with progressive and 285' 19's.

3. Should I really consider getting a professional tune?

4. What do you think my 0-60 could be with these, I am a very skilled driver and I know it is a stupid question, could I be banking around 4.5?
1. If it's going to blow, it's going to blow, regardless of miles. However, for the most part, I'd say you should be perfectly fine and have nothing to worry about.

2. Traction is already going to start being a limiting factor with a 75 shot, even without gears. However, having a progressive can get rid of the traction issues. You just have to set it up right.

3. It's not imperative, but it's always nice. I, along with many, have sprayed without a tune and faced no issues. However, that doesn't mean that you're guaranteed to not have any problems.

4. We don't bench race here and 0-60 means nothing in real life.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Cubano4ever

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
1. If it's going to blow, it's going to blow, regardless of miles. However, for the most part, I'd say you should be perfectly fine and have nothing to worry about.

2. Traction is already going to start being a limiting factor with a 75 shot, even without gears. However, having a progressive can get rid of the traction issues. You just have to set it up right.

3. It's not imperative, but it's always nice. I, along with many, have sprayed without a tune and faced no issues. However, that doesn't mean that you're guaranteed to not have any problems.

4. We don't bench race here and 0-60 means nothing in real life.
If is gonna blow is gonna blow but having everything in good shape give you less chances to blow your engine
Old 11-19-2012, 07:07 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Of course. I'm just being realistic by telling him there is a possibility that even if he thinks everything's in line, things can go south. I still answered his questions.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:11 PM
xslangx

You guys are awesome! Quick answers and just what I wanted to hear!

I will get a tune and I guess Ill just go easy on the spray untill its all dialed in, but I'm hoping with my AF/R gauge I will be able to monitor it for now...

Can't wait to throw this in! should haul ***, also have track vids of before and I will post an after w/ spray and then a w/ lsd and spray so we can see gains in the real world.

YAY
Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

In for more nitrous use
Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Cubano4ever

You guys are awesome! Quick answers and just what I wanted to hear!

I will get a tune and I guess Ill just go easy on the spray untill its all dialed in, but I'm hoping with my AF/R gauge I will be able to monitor it for now...

Can't wait to throw this in! should haul ***, also have track vids of before and I will post an after w/ spray and then a w/ lsd and spray so we can see gains in the real world.

YAY
Yea just do everything right the fisrt time cus a engine is not cheap to repair and i will said a hr engine will be fine till 150 shot and even a lil more with a tune .. I have been in 150 shot for months now slready went thru 20+ bottles and
everything is just fine just check this things so u run safe

#1 make sure ur afr is always where it has to be

#2 never engage nitrous below 3000 rpm

#3 always check you bottle pressure remenber if the bottle is to hot u run lean and if the bottle is too cold you run rich always check it before any run
Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 PM
xslangx

Originally Posted by Cubano4ever
Yea just do everything right the fisrt time cus a engine is not cheap to repair and i will said a hr engine will be fine till 150 shot and even a lil more with a tune .. I have been in 150 shot for months now slready went thru 20+ bottles and
everything is just fine just check this things so u run safe

#1 make sure ur afr is always where it has to be

#2 never engage nitrous below 3000 rpm

#3 always check you bottle pressure remenber if the bottle is to hot u run lean and if the bottle is too cold you run rich always check it before any run

Many thanks for the advice! I have an automatic bottle heater set @ 1000psi..

specifically it is the
Amazon Amazon

kit and I also have the
Amazon Amazon

My progressive controller is DynoTune's very own, http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=216

My next question is my NX kit comes with a WOT switch and relay, but looking at dyno tune's progressive instructions it has its very own WOT controller...

I am thinking of bypassing NX's altogether and use all of Dynotunes relays...

any experience with this?

I will compose a write up on install as well when im done!

J.C.
    Old 11-19-2012, 09:57 PM
    Cubano4ever

Many thanks for the advice! I have an automatic bottle heater set @ 1000psi..

specifically it is the http://www.amazon.com/Nitrous-Expres.../dp/B004707Y94

kit and I also have the
    http://www.amazon.com/Nitrous-Expres...us+express+x-2

My progressive controller is DynoTune's very own, http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=216

My next question is my NX kit comes with a WOT switch and relay, but looking at dyno tune's progressive instructions it has its very own WOT controller...

I am thinking of bypassing NX's altogether and use all of Dynotunes relays...

any experience with this?

I will compose a write up on install as well when im done!

J.C.

Are you gonna use the nitrous to run in the track or you gonna do rolls in the street im running 150 shot and i dont use window switch or progressive cus alli do is rolls
      Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 AM
      xslangx

Originally Posted by Cubano4ever
      Are you gonna use the nitrous to run in the track or you gonna do rolls in the street im running 150 shot and i dont use window switch or progressive cus alli do is rolls
      I am a firm believer in safety, I've blown up to many engines before...

I will do both, but I drive like a effin maniac on the street! haha
      Old 11-20-2012, 07:05 AM
      Cubano4ever

I am a firm believer in safety, I've blown up to many engines before...

I will do both, but I drive like a effin maniac on the street! haha
      My 150 shot is single stage i dont use progressive cus i always use it from rolls never from the hole and i dont use window switch cus i know when to activated nitrous i control myself jajjajj
      Old 11-20-2012, 02:31 PM
      Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The most important thing to know with any nitrous usage, regardless of nitrous amount or vehicle, is whos in your avatar 3hree5ive0ero?
      Old 11-20-2012, 04:02 PM
      3hree5ive0ero
      Retired Admin

You eyein' my wife..?

JK, her name is Melanie Iglesias.
      Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 AM
      Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No more nitrous, more *****.

Last edited by Vq.turbo.DremZ; 11-21-2012 at 03:47 AM.
      Old 11-21-2012, 06:09 AM
      juicinjake

interesting this popped up recently. i was about to update the 4.08 gears and nitrous thread with my recent experience. i installed a quaife/4.083 setup on my 05 g35 with the revup motor. i am running full bolt ons with a 150 shot. the car is substantially faster na. i havent sprayed enough with the gears to be able to tell you how much faster it is with the nitrous but it feels like im getting comparable traction compared to stock gears if i roll off the light and hit it from say 15-20mph. i havent launched from a dead stop on the bottle yet. na traction is worse from a stop but i know how to make it work. i traction from a dead stop to be worse as well. i will update you guys with my experiences as time goes. i am going to rewire the nitrous system when i get a maximizer 4 (the box provides a ground as opposed to a hot and thus the circuit is different). i would like to be able to launch on a 65whp shot from a dead stop and ramp up to the full 125whp by mid second gear when it really plants. i tried third this morning from a roll and it dead plants and is gone. it pulls a lot harder in third with the gears and third was very strong before. ive used 4.10 gears and nitrous in a variety of cars in the past and it was always a win. so far i can say that i feel the same way with the z/g platform with a 4.083 but really feel like it will take a progressive controller to make a car that launches predictablely and consistently. again, i will update you guys more as time goes on!
      Old 11-23-2012, 09:08 AM
      xslangx

Just finished installing it, Got the TPS and RPM hooked up to Window switch, also purge fuel pressure safety and blah blah blah hooked it all up.

Haven't used it at all, but I am pulling a check engine light after about 5 minutes of driving, I hear tapping into TPS or Coilpack could cause this, but does anyone know a fix?

I'm still pulling 12.3 to 12.5 AF/R on WOT without nitrous stock tune, does this sound right?

I know I need to pull the code but I was just wondering if anyone has solved this issue
      Old 11-23-2012, 11:17 AM
      juicinjake

12.3-12.5 is kind of rich in my opinion. i have my na tune set to 12.89 at wot via uprev. on my nitrous tune i richened it up to 12.54. i never got a check light when i tapped into the coil pack and tps. i used an aem harness extender and tapped that, soldered and heatshrinked it. as for the stock tune, mine was pretty rich up top. i think they had 11 something programmed in there from the factory. it was crazy. are you using uprev? what are you getting the afr readings with? let us know...
      Old 11-23-2012, 12:00 PM
      xslangx

Originally Posted by juicinjake
      12.3-12.5 is kind of rich in my opinion. i have my na tune set to 12.89 at wot via uprev. on my nitrous tune i richened it up to 12.54. i never got a check light when i tapped into the coil pack and tps. i used an aem harness extender and tapped that, soldered and heatshrinked it. as for the stock tune, mine was pretty rich up top. i think they had 11 something programmed in there from the factory. it was crazy. are you using uprev? what are you getting the afr readings with? let us know...

100% stock tune, AEM EUGO AF/R gauge Into Driver side test pipe near the header.

Quick Reply: VQ35HR 4.08 Gears and Nitrous!