Notices
NOLAZCC New Orleans Louisiana Z Car Club

IS my clutch almost done?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:14 AM
JonnyB504

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS my clutch almost done?

Last night on the way home from work the smell from the clutch was very PUNGENT lol.....anyhow today when I went to drive it is seems as if 1st gear is not picking up speed as quickly....it feals as if I am starting in 2nd from a dead stop....like it takes a few seconds to start picking up speed. Any ideas? If it is, how much would it probally run me for an aftermarket clutch and install because Im sure even though I just bought the damn thing they arn't going to cover the clutch.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:25 AM
wasuber

1k give or take
Old 07-11-2008, 08:34 AM
nuckinfutz74

Originally Posted by Jentwisl
Last night on the way home from work the smell from the clutch was very PUNGENT lol.....anyhow today when I went to drive it is seems as if 1st gear is not picking up speed as quickly....it feals as if I am starting in 2nd from a dead stop....like it takes a few seconds to start picking up speed. Any ideas? If it is, how much would it probally run me for an aftermarket clutch and install because Im sure even though I just bought the damn thing they arn't going to cover the clutch.
Check with Corr, their link is in my sig. They did a stage 3 Spec installed for right under 1k, so you can probably get something for $600-$900 if you are looking for a basic set up.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Sco2355

I got a clutch and flywheel and paid just around 700 for it, granted I bought the clutch from Blasian. I also did the install with my father so that saved some money. Definitely try Corr first, they are local and do good work.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:27 PM
JonnyB504

ugh...there goes my stance coilovers lol

What clutch should I get? Im not to familiar with them....something not to expensive, but better than OEM and that will last a long time.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:29 PM
nuckinfutz74

ugh...there goes my stance coilovers lol

What clutch should I get? Im not to familiar with them....something not to expensive, but better than OEM and that will last a long time.
Contact http://www.corrperformance.com/ for options & pricing.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:36 PM
JonnyB504

Originally Posted by nuckinfutz74
I just sent them an e-mail. Thanks!

So from the symptoms does it sound like I need a new clutch? Also is that all I should upgrade or is there anything else that I should possibly get done? Sorry, but this is my first manual transmission so I am not to familiar with tranny upgrades....
Old 07-11-2008, 12:38 PM
nuckinfutz74

I just sent them an e-mail. Thanks!

So from the symptoms does it sound like I need a new clutch? Also is that all I should upgrade or is there anything else that I should possibly get done? Sorry, but this is my first manual transmission so I am not to familiar with tranny upgrades....
Clutch should do you fine, I would let their tech listen to it, to diagnose.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Sco2355

Honestly, what year is yours? 03-05 have weak *** first gears as is. I plenum spacer will actually liven it up.

Honestly, I doubt you completely fried it unless you have insane mileage on it. I had 7x,xxx miles on mine (stock clutch) and I constantly got on it and tracked it most of those miles. I replaced my clutch simply because I wanted something that gripped much much harder.

If you change the clutch, the best thing to change honestly is the flywheel. The flywheel will make a world of difference too when it comes to revs, but beware if you go too light it'll be hard to drive. Ask anyone on here who has driven my car or Blasian's, they are really impraticle for daily but a blast when you get on it.

I personally like my ACT setup and I know Blasian does. Look in the forsale section as well for group buys!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:44 PM
JonnyB504

Yes, I need this as a daily drive. Just out of curiosity what does the flywheel actually do and why is a lighter one impracticle for daily driving?

My Z is an 04' with 53k miles on it ruffly......it was fine when I bought it, however I was learning how to drive a manual on it so I don't know if that had to do with it dieng so soon. Basically I hit the gas and the car revs up to around 4-45k before it starts moving....it never did that before.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Sco2355

Chit, that's not good if it's reving that high, but it may just be the way you're driving it.

A lightweight flywheel is fine, you just don't want to go too light. I forget honestly all the technical crap that goes with a lightweight flywheel but what you mainly need to know is the lighter it is, the faster it's going to spin. The faster it spins the quicker you're going to rev and will help with launching the car.

Where are you currently? If you want I'll get your car looked at like NOW. My dad gets off of work around 6 (mechanic) and I can get him to see. I'll be at lakeside with my gf for her lunch break till 5.

Here's my cell, call me if you need something. 504-481-2885

-Scott
Old 07-11-2008, 01:31 PM
JonnyB504

Really appreciate the help man, but Im bout to go pick up the girlfriend from work and head up to laffy for the weekend. I deff wish I could though because I know something isn't right and would love to have some tell me excatly what is wrong.

I was however looking at my warranty that I bought with the car and I got the higest package which says it covers "manual transmission clutch components"....now does that mean the actual clutch also? Hmmm...I have to call them when I get back in town.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:27 PM
LanceKA-T

Give me a call John, or pass by my house.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:34 PM
j1234

Yes, I need this as a daily drive. Just out of curiosity what does the flywheel actually do and why is a lighter one impracticle for daily driving?

My Z is an 04' with 53k miles on it ruffly......it was fine when I bought it, however I was learning how to drive a manual on it so I don't know if that had to do with it dieng so soon. Basically I hit the gas and the car revs up to around 4-45k before it starts moving....it never did that before.
sounds like the clutch is slipping. shouldnt need to rev it that high. lighter flywheel like it was said before means faster revs and quicker launches, for a daily driver though it means the car is not going to be as easy to get moving in first. heavy flywheel has more momentum so its easier to get going for the average person. once you get used to the car though, it wont be a problem. i remember greg (blasian) sayin his car wanted him to drop the clutch everytime he would roll in first.

edit** go out and get to about 40 or 50 mph, put the car in 5th and floor it. if the revs build but the car doesnt accelerate with the revs, your clutch is slipping= you need a new clutch. go youtube slipping clutch and you will see what i mean.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:35 PM
soleil
NolaZcc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usually the warrenty will not cover for the clutch, its a wear item they will simple say "u been racing ur car" trust me i tried to get my rsx s to cover for the clutch and they just laughed at me...better for u just to get something new and better than stock
Old 07-14-2008, 09:25 AM
panapower

Originally Posted by nuckinfutz74
thanks Shawn.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:50 AM
JonnyB504

Yeah it is reallly bad now....I feal I might actually break something if I drive it anymore....it revs up like crazy and doesn't go anywhere...in Reverse, 1st, 2nd, once I get to 3rd it is a tad better but not much. I want to go to Corr, but not sure if the car would even make it.....ugh this is aggervating...nothing but shyt since I bought this car.....maybe that is why I got a good deal on it ......would Nissan install an aftermarket clutch you think? Theyll prob charge a **** load more though.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:29 PM
j1234

dont bring it to nissan. just bring it to a shop. id trust corr, known both alberto and jay for awhile and they are great guys!
Old 07-14-2008, 12:32 PM
nothix

+1 stay away from the stealership
Old 07-14-2008, 09:13 PM
JonnyB504

BUt im worried about my car making the drive up to BR...lol

Quick Reply: IS my clutch almost done?