Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Detroit Area Z List part 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 12:10 PM
mzack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ETX, Maybe later this week. I think I will be busy from 10-4pm on Sat. and Sun. I will get back to you. I may have to wait until March 5 or 6 to bring it to you. I am out next weekend in South Carolina.

My home number is 734-904-6317
Old 02-15-2005, 12:23 PM
zlessnomore

Mike the Z is going to be at GodZpeed on Saturday February 26th. They are going to dyno and than work on her and than dyno again for me!!! Should be a great Z thing! And they said I could get the Z back in about 3 dayz!!!! Are you going to be around cause i still want to get some pics of your car? pm me with your e-mail and I will send you the club application and how they want it sent back.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Yancy

Hey Mike,
The engine will be built, but I'm not sure when because I bought a new place and filled it with all new stuff and am drained right now.

I already have the Arias 9.0 forged pistons, forged Pauter rods, SGP Main and Head Studs, AAM custom return fuel system with an AEM fuel pressure regulator and stainless fuel rails. I still need to get bigger injectors. Probably go with 550-650cc injectors. Also, thinking about getting:
(1) cams (not sure the benefits will be worth it),
(2) new clutch and flywheel (the CM clutch is too harsh because of its puck design),
(3) New plenum (maybe the APS Tallboy)
(4) stronger rear half axles

Engine should be good for near 700 hp, with around 600 to the wheels. I haven't figured out who will be doing the build, but it may be CJ-Motorsports in Chicago. It looks like CJ and SGP in Houston are two shops that have built some 350z motors already. I don't want my engine to be someones first 350z build unless I get a great deal on the labor. Also, time is important to me - the job cannot take months and months. The whole process should be able to be done within a months time from what I've been seeing with others having their engines built.

From reading up, whoever does the build must have a torque plate to use when the bore the cylinders. Apparantly this plate is used during the boring process to similate the load/weight that the heads would exert while on the block. Doing this allows the bore to be more precise and allows the engine to remain smooth sounding. Without it, apparantly the engine sounds loader and rougher because the piston travel in the cylinder is not great.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Yancy

Zless, did you go and buy a SC or TT? What's Godspeed doing to your Z? If not SC or TT, are you getting a piggyback computer to tune it during the dyno? I'm sure if Dan is tuning it, he will get everything out of that engine that's possible.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:46 PM
zlessnomore

I got the Crawford headers and yes I am going piggy back, Dan said he could get about 7% gain with the unit alone and well every % counts. The hearders will make a difference and the before and after will show a good gain from them I hope!
Old 02-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Yancy

Headers are good. Glad you're going with a piggy back. Dan is an excellant tuner so it wouldn't surprise me if you saw more power when its all said and done.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:05 PM
JonathanAboona

when i was at godspeed they said 4500 for a fully stroked/forged z motor.... a little more if i used my own block so maybe 5 grand total ready to drive away if i understood dan correctly.
im not sure if i want to dump all that money and see barely any results. im curious to see how a stroked out z would sound tho the one that runs for 7 grand goes to a 4.3 L i wonder if dan will do the same

yancy i got 2 shirts for you ill bring them all to the meet on the 2nd. where are you living at now ?

ETX where did you get directions to build a powdercoat oven ??? or did you just come up with a design im very curious

Do you guys wana do a sterling heights or novi meet
Old 02-15-2005, 05:21 PM
zlessnomore

etx are you still looking for nismo bronze wheels? there is a guy in new york on the 350 motoring site with them for sale trade?! his forum name is tylerdurden and he needs to move them asap so he may deal! good luck!!!
Old 02-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Yancy

Jon, I live in Shelby Twp now. Still have my old condo behind the AMC movie theatre near Rayn Rd if you know anyone that's interested in buying.

As far as getting a fully built and stroked engine, I'd have to say that figure is only for parts and not labor. Labor alone to pull the engine, build it, and reinstall everything with new seals/gaskets will likely be a few thousand in itself. I wonder what the 4.3 liter stroked engine would produce power wise though? I have to imagine that going FI would be better than building the engine and keeping it NA though.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:26 PM
JonathanAboona

yea but when i mentioned the parts hes like that would be everything except the crank because he said the z crank is solid so i think he did figure in the cost of parts which made me get a grin on my face from ear to ear but i duno i agree it doenst sound right should be more $. the AEBS 4.3 L claimed it can hold 1000 hp i think but im guessing it would only give 350 NA. I dont know anybody who is looking for places to live and more bad news my buddy got one off ebay alreayd he just has to pick it up... i suggest you do what he did though. put it on ebay and say local pickup only should sell fairly easily
Old 02-16-2005, 04:11 AM
zlessnomore

Welcome to Shelby Township!!!!! From talking to Dan he seems to know his stuff! There is also Crawford Z in Nashville to consider, thats all they do are Z's.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:24 AM
mdacko

Mike - yes there is a car show March 4-6 at Cobo Hall. Come see me, my car's entered.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:27 AM
mdacko

oh yeah, etx, are open for powdercoating business or what??

i could use my calipers coated
Old 02-16-2005, 05:51 AM
Yancy

"Welcome to Shelby Township!!!!! From talking to Dan he seems to know his stuff! There is also Crawford Z in Nashville to consider, thats all they do are Z's."

You're right, Dan does know his stuff really well. That's why I have referred many people, including a lot from this board, over to him and his shop to get work done. However, pulling an engine and rebuilding it is like a major heart surgery.

Since I am dumping so much money into getting this done, I want no (not even one) issues with the engine when its done. If there are issues, all that is going to cost is more time and more money. There are several shops that have built a handful of Z engines (full builds) and already have torque plates and all the other means on hand to get the job done quickly (within a month) and correctly.

I do not doubt Dan's ability to do a great job, but I don't think he has a torque plate that is required for the build and I want the job done within a months time. I think Godspeed may be too busy with EVO's and STI's to devote the time to my build. Them being too busy equals me getting my car back in 3 months which I do not want.

WHAT CAR SHOW IS ON MARCH 4-6 AT COBO?
Old 02-16-2005, 07:09 AM
JonathanAboona

yea what is this car show? how much to just go and watch
Old 02-16-2005, 07:41 AM
mdacko

its autorama extreme. in the basement of cobo under autorama....going on at the same time. its regular autorama ticket prices...i dunno what they are probably 15$

the deadline to enter was the 31st of January though
Old 02-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Yancy

Just found this link

http://www.autorama.com/casi/detroit.htm

Looks like its for old muscle cars though?
Old 02-17-2005, 07:11 AM
etx

Originally posted by mdacko
oh yeah, etx, are open for powdercoating business or what??

i could use my calipers coated
I could do that, what color?

Originally posted by JonathanAboona
ETX where did you get directions to build a powdercoat oven ??? or did you just come up with a design im very curious
No I just built it myself, it's not rocket science.

Check this out.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:07 AM
mdacko

derek -

if you could do them in like a gloss black, or if you cant you could do just regular black and i could spray a clearcoat on them

lemme know what your prices are and how long you'd need em for.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:12 AM
mzack

mdacko, are you putting your car in that show? Do you have to do it for all three days? I would enter mine but would only like to do it one day. I have never put a car in a show before so I have not idea how to or what to expect.

I would have to make a call to Carbon Creations to see if they could make my delivery by then.

Quick Reply: Detroit Area Z List part 3