Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

DETROIT Z (meets and events)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:13 PM
AznSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody wanna dyno their cars? I'm curious how much power I'm making with all my mods since this is all I'm gonna do performance-wise (even though I know it's not a lot lol). Maybe if we can get enough ppl then we can get a group deal? Or if anybody has any hook-ups?

Also who local would you guys recommend? I just know of Speed Industries that's it.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:23 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dyno day in Grand Blanc this Saturday
Old 04-23-2009, 05:13 AM
Datona Jess

Yeah Rob

Its really a shootout, you will probably get killed, but its onlt $55 for some runs.
It would be the perfect way to get an idea of how much you have

http://www.xceedspeed.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130551

Dil-are you going man???

I was going to go up and just see whats up but I am busy this Saturday
Old 04-23-2009, 05:42 AM
BobaFettm

Dyno Queens... ppssshh...

I'm heading to an event where if your beginner this will be an EXCELLENT time to jump in for anyone. First the track is open as hell. You can't hurt your car if you did spin. Its grass everywhere except pit lane straight away. And the Z's do really well here due to excellent weight transfer from corner to corner.

http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=69254

TCCA will be hosting our Spring 2009 road course event at Gingerman Raceway on Saurday May 9th in South Haven, MI.

Drivers will be divided into classes (novice, intermediate & advanced) so individuals with similar driving abilities will be on the track at the same time. Passing will only be permitted in the higher run groups; even then it will only be on the long straights. Passing in corners or any non-designated portion of the track will not be permitted.

Novice group members will be required to attend the novice driver's meeting held immediately after the general drivers' meeting first thing in the morning. Instruction for novice drivers will be provided. Specific details will be announced in the novice driver's meeting.

This event is for everyone - track experience is not required! This is a great opportunity to learn the dynamics of your car; which can prove useful on the street or on the track. Most importantly, it is like nothing else - we promise you will have a ton of fun!

$175 per car. Not driver.

I'll be running all day long. There is only a SMALL number of us going. Meaning its constant runs all day till you don't have any tires / brakes left! The way it should be hahaha.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:18 AM
sig11

Damnit. Why the heck did my week of meetings in Atlanta have to be 1 - 8th.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Jonny Boy

I might try to make the event. Thanks for posting this!
Old 04-23-2009, 12:23 PM
mekatoka

I have been debating about going to THIS OTD at Waterford Hills. The price there is 150$.

I am a total beginner and have never been on track. What would be a better place the Waterford or Gingerman (the one posted above by BobaFettm). Also the price at Gingerman is 175$.

I would have done 3 autocross sessions, 1 solo school session by then.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:26 PM
mekatoka

Ooops, didn't notice but South Haven is like 3 hrs from Canton
That's too far, bummer
Old 04-23-2009, 12:33 PM
BobaFettm

Waterford is PURELY walls. Understand. A mistake can mean your car. You HAVE to respect waterford... that upper hill will take even the most skilled drivers and make them backwards into the tires.

Gingerman is extra forgiving... a more flowing course. Less apex's and more speed carrying involved. Great for domestic big guys and 350z. While Waterford has one single longish straight it is a nimble course demanding the drivers full attention every second to line placement. Great for a lotus

Yah you'll learn if you want to start road coursing that you have to camp / hotel the night before...

If you feel interested in an event at all let me know... I'm registered for
3 gingerman
2 Grattan
2 Mid Ohio
2 Nelson Ledges
2 Waterford Hills
and whatever else I can find that I can trust the other drivers on the track with me at the same time... I will only track day with other respectful enthusiasts not some show boaters looking to crash into a wall.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:37 PM
BobaFettm

http://www.youtube.com/v/TLorAXP2qlI&hl=en&fs=1
^ Decent video so you can see the layout of Waterford. Its a FUN race track. 2nd most fun IMO to Grattan. I love Grattan
Old 04-23-2009, 01:04 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I started my track career with a Waterford OTD. You might be better off with an instructor though. Check out the local Porsche club. They have a HPDE (high perfomace drivers education) class coming up. I am signed up for it - 5/14/09 at Waterford.

http://www.sempca.org/waterford/index.html - then click the drivers education tab at the top. You can find contacts in there too if you have any questions. $160 I think for non-members. You do not need a porsche to sign-up I passed quite a few of them, as they had me start off in the beginners group last year.

Here's another video of Waterford.. getting slowed up by a bmw beginner.
http://www.hiap.com/pca-sem-hpde-814...ingjakin-2.wmv

Last edited by thekinn; 04-23-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:45 PM
mekatoka

Thanks for the info and links you guys. I am going to decide something soon, the camping part is what I don't like.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:27 AM
Jonny Boy

Originally Posted by BobaFettm
Waterford is PURELY walls. Understand. A mistake can mean your car. You HAVE to respect waterford... that upper hill will take even the most skilled drivers and make them backwards into the tires.

Gingerman is extra forgiving... a more flowing course. Less apex's and more speed carrying involved. Great for domestic big guys and 350z. While Waterford has one single longish straight it is a nimble course demanding the drivers full attention every second to line placement. Great for a lotus

Yah you'll learn if you want to start road coursing that you have to camp / hotel the night before...

If you feel interested in an event at all let me know... I'm registered for
3 gingerman
2 Grattan
2 Mid Ohio
2 Nelson Ledges
2 Waterford Hills
and whatever else I can find that I can trust the other drivers on the track with me at the same time... I will only track day with other respectful enthusiasts not some show boaters looking to crash into a wall.
Boba - Can you please send me or post the link for the two days you are doing at Grattan. I have heard a lot of good things about that track.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:11 AM
Datona Jess

Grattan is really nice.

Gingerman is still my Fav for Mich tracks though.

Deepu. I agree with the guys. Waterford Hills is a very good local track, but it has very little for car safety.
It is a small compact track with alot of walls, the swamp, and the front straight is a doublke apex turn that if you don't hit quite right is quite scary....

It might behoove you to go to some of the more forgiving tracks at first.
Just my suggestion.
Don't want you to bangup that gorgeous new car of yours.

Gorgeous out the next few days!!!

Last edited by Datona Jess; 04-24-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:38 AM
mekatoka

Yep, now I have decided not to go Waterford this year. I guess that's what sucks about owning a new car (relatively ) when it comes to racing events. I don't think I am rich enough to crash a car and not worry about it.

So, I have signed up for a local SCCA' s SOLO school that includes a 4hr classroom session and an autocross session for like 10-14 runs where they teach you to drive and approach at autocross. I thought this was very reasonable at 60$.

I am also considering taking Evo school Phase 1, do you guys think it is an overkill for me? I have read alot of people stating that it gives alot more experience than a full season of autocross events. Have any of you taken this?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:29 AM
AznSky

I would do the SCCA solo school except my SCCA membership expires tomorrow lol, and from my experience last year, Detroit region SCCA stuff sucks ballz so I decided not to renew.

Evo school is supposed to be really good. My roommate did it last year. I would recommend you do only the 1 day session, and not both days cuz I heard they'll teach the same thing the next day.

Deepu I think it's awesome you're so into racing. And going to schools and such will be very helpful for you. Just know that this hobby will get VERY expensive. But it seems like you understand the value of "seat time" more than mods ( I certainly don't ). So on that note, do as many schools/driving events you can afford. Just know that I am still the fastest detroit region my350z member MUAHAHAHA. But we'll have another shootout at the end of this season to see who's fastest.

Well, see you this Sunday!! My roommate will be co-driving my car, so he might put down even faster times than me lol.

Oh, and SHOW UP EARLY!! Don't get trashed the night before again lol. First car out is at 10:30 so you can't walk the track after that.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:46 AM
lbk16

Hey guys, you should also check out the club I run with. They have days at Gingerman, Grattan and Waterford. www.3ballsracing.com. I am headed out to Gingerman tomorrow for the season opener and then out to Grattan on May 9th. Grattan is definitely my favorite -- tons of elevation changes -- great fun. The 3 ***** guys are also planning a two day event at Grattan this year as well as a two day event at Calabogie in Canada. Talk about an awesome track. In any event, check 'em out. Looking forward to tracking the Z for the first time tomorrow. Deepu -- I would NOT hit Waterford until you have some more autocross or track time under your belt. Waterford can be dangerous if you overdrive the car. Call me a sissy, but I think Gingerman is the best track in MI for beginners.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:29 AM
mekatoka

Rob, why do you say that SCAA sucks? You should've told me earlier and I wouldn't have signed up. I was exchanging some messages with the chair person for this year's solo school and she felt that Evo school might not be needed for me and that all I needed was Solo school. Since its not going to break my wallet I don't mind signing up for Evo Phase 1. I was just debating if I needed Phase 2 as well.

That's awesome dude, I didn't know you had good timings at the autocross. Hopefully this time I will come prepared and I plan to put a camcorder in my car as well. Not sure if it is wide enough to give a proper view. Also, I look forward to getting more tips from you. I would like you to ride with me if you can so that I can get some advice.

Lee, I came across the 3ballsracing while browsing SCAA forums and I had signed up there. People there seem to be hardcore If I ever track, Gingerman will be my first and that too only with an instructor. I don't want to crash my car.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:50 AM
AznSky

hey deepu, i'm not saying scca sucks overall, I actually think it's pretty awesome. But it just wasn't worth it last year when we only had like 1 SCCA event. And when you do go to an SCCA event, it's so packed cuz ppl come from other states to get points, that you only get 3 runs in or something. However, the monthly magazine you get is kinda cool, and I did use my SCCA membership to get 10% off my brake pads

I'd be more than happy to ride with you, however I won't be able to this weekend because MSCC doesn't have insurance for passengers. I will at the next CCM Event though.

I'd sign up for the phase 1 for sure, no need for phase 2 right now.

Lee, I'd love to check out grattan and gingerman this year. However I never trust going to open track days just because you never know what retard is out on the track trying to drive faster than his car can handle. HPDE's is where it's at for me and I'm sure I'll hit a few this year. Just gotta get my tires and pads on Let us know what you think of the Z since you've driven so many cars in the past.

edit: Some good reads for you:

http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

http://www.dmvrscca.org/topten.htm

Last edited by AznSky; 04-24-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:09 AM
lbk16

This is more of a HPDE than an open track day. All first timers and beginners are required to attend a driver's school in the morning. Then, the first session on track is a parade session (lead and follow). Then, the second session is with instructors only. After that, the beginners are allowed on track by themselves. If you do something stupid, you are done. Although they may not look it, they are very professional. The vast majority of the drivers have 10+ HPDEs under their belts. I have been to so-called open track days as well. No organization and a bunch of morons on track that have no idea what they are doing. 3 ***** is definitely NOT like that. You should come out to a Grattan event.

Quick Reply: DETROIT Z (meets and events)