Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Winter Projects '08-'09

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Jonny Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve - You didnt happen to buy those brembos because I let you drive my car did you? I know there is a difference but cmon I need some kind of edge at the track. Let me know if you need help with anything.

My winter projects are track rims and tires for the Z. Then also installing new brakes, stainless steel lines, and hopefully new rotors.

Of course I cant forget the 1 piece race suit, gloves, and boots for the bike. I will also prolly be helping billy with his coilovers too.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:41 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

The Brembo experience did help, yes. But mainly I saw a set of Brembo's for $100 and had to jump on it. If the work area is heated I'm in for helping too
Old 11-24-2008, 02:54 PM
redmike_02

Did the clutch and Flywheel a few weeks ago. So now my plans are to only drive it when it's nice out and save money for spring. I'll end up getting some better sticky tires and an exhaust.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:02 AM
thekinn

Default Front Brembo remanufacture

Here are before and after pics - I only had the fronts remanufactured. The rears are still in good shape (plus budget is tight).

**Before**

***After***

I'm still deciding if I should paint them to match the rears (standard Brembo gold) or paint both of them some other color. The grey isn't too bad..

Now I need brake lines, rotors, bleeders for 1 rear caliper, a bracket for a front, and some tool to hack that rear dust plate to fit the new rotor... oh yeah.. and money for all of that! lol.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by thekinn
Coilovers would be nice.. I'll have to keep dreaming and keep saving.

The Forgelines come with a story. The super-cliff-note version is - I go to the same track as this guy...

He decided to get out of T2 after this recent incident - and someone from his crew looked me up.
Who is this? Is this Ralph? (38BFast)

Last edited by Phreakdout; 02-22-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Jonny Boy

^ That is the guy steve got his new parts from.

Steve, it looks like who ever did your brakes, did a very nice job on the rebuilds. IMO i would paint them to match the rears, and besides i love the brembo gold color. Glad to see you have made a little progress on your winter projects.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:52 PM
CUL8ER

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

O/k I will start off by saying hello new here just saying hello.Here is my second winter project(0-100mph) it's a 1983 porsche 944(aluminum body).I ripped out the old drive train and flooring and wiring and dash the only thing that is orig is the body and some front suspension parts.I put a built LS2 a custom built 200r4 trans along with a 9in ford rear with 468 gears and custom 3point coilover rear and ladder bars.I just installed 2 nitrous 10lbs bottles and warmers and used the 200 shot jets,I just got my dash back from a local air brush painter..........
Old 02-24-2009, 06:29 PM
thekinn

^^ Nice.. lol. That puts my little project to shame.. but heck... at least I'm working on something . Started painting my new valve stem caps yesterday - haha
Old 02-25-2009, 01:41 AM
CUL8ER

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ Nice.. lol. That puts my little project to shame.. but heck... at least I'm working on something . Started painting my new valve stem caps yesterday - haha
Lol on the valve stem comment.With age comes cool looking cars that can go/sound fast.By the time I am 50 or so the porsche will be gone,and my dream(since I was knee high to a grasshopper) car will be in it's place 1933 ford 3window coupe,all steel w/40's flathead V8,$$$ but it will be sitting right next to my Z because the body lines/design and I have 2 much money invested in her.Sorry going on a rant. Thanks thekinn,my first project car was a 83 regal

Last edited by CUL8ER; 02-25-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Jonny Boy

Steve - Have any updates on your projects?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:45 AM
thekinn

Not yet. I had a couple small home projects to deal with.. and I stocked up on oil and filters for this season. Tight budget.. just gotta wait till I have a few more $ on me to proceed.

I do still have life on my current brake setup - so I have time to milk that before I upgrade...shoot, the rotors I currently have are practically brand new! I hate to ditch them already. I suppose I could try to line up a buyer locally.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:51 AM
AznSky

<-----
Old 03-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Jonny Boy

That is definitly something your are going to have to do unless you plan on keeping those rotors for a long time and just hanging onto the brakes. Once the brembos go onto your car you will have no choice but to get new rotors. It looks like you may already ahve a buyer too.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:25 AM
thekinn

Ordered stainless steel lines, bleeder screws and caps today... as well as Black caliper paint... Gotta scratch the itch.

edit.. oops I ordered the caliper bolts and bracket too. Rotors next.. $$$ yikes!

Last edited by thekinn; 03-16-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:11 PM
thekinn

I'm thinking of throwing a 'destroy my stupid Brembos' party and let everyone take a hammer to my long, semi-expensive, quickly failing Brembo swap project..

All of my calipers leak a little at the bleeder screw (from the bleed hole). Torquing them down to 14ft lbs now (Service manual calls for 10ft labs).. This lessened the leak to just a little fluid in the cap - but still fluid.. This is after some very light city driving.

At least one leaks from the bleeder screw thread area... Not seeing an easy answer to this one.

Meanwhile.. My car is now undriveable.. At least I tried - the budget brake swap isn't working out too well. Not sure what I'm going to do now.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Phreakdout

I'm thinking of throwing a 'destroy my stupid Brembos' party and let everyone take a hammer to my long, semi-expensive, quickly failing Brembo swap project..

All of my calipers leak a little at the bleeder screw (from the bleed hole). Torquing them down to 14ft lbs now (Service manual calls for 10ft labs).. This lessened the leak to just a little fluid in the cap - but still fluid.. This is after some very light city driving.

At least one leaks from the bleeder screw thread area... Not seeing an easy answer to this one.

Meanwhile.. My car is now undriveable.. At least I tried - the budget brake swap isn't working out too well. Not sure what I'm going to do now.
Do the bleeder screws require teflon tape?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:18 AM
thekinn

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
Do the bleeder screws require teflon tape?
Not that I am aware of. Someone in another thread had mentioned that, but, I thought they were kidding. I figured the heat would roast off any teflon tape used - I could be wrong though. The service manual does not specify on the diagram.

I think my next step is buying bleeders direct from the dealer - I was just hoping to not spend any more money on this project. It doesn't help when they want to charge me $56 for a 'set' of bleeder and cap.. So, multiply that by eight.. $428 for 8 screws with holes in them. Ridiculous.

Last edited by thekinn; 04-13-2010 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:25 AM
Phreakdout

Not that I am aware of. Someone in another thread had mentioned that, but, I thought they were kidding. I figured the heat would roast off any teflon tape used - I could be wrong though. The service manual does not specify on the diagram.

I think my next step is buying bleeders direct from the dealer - I was just hoping to not spend any more money on this project. It doesn't help when they want to charge me $56 for a 'set' of bleeder and cap.. So, multiply that by eight.. $428 for 8 screws with holes in them. Ridiculous.
Try contacting Brembo directly. They have an office here in Plymouth, MI off M14. I'd bet they use the same bleeder screw for the aftermarket.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:43 AM
thekinn

Well.. it may be those pesky bleeder screws. I just replaced two rears with the only two rear bleeders that I had from the original calipers (before rebuild) - and surprisingly no leaks. This was also the caliper that leaked at the threads.

Oakos has a set of speed bleeders that are supposed to be compatible with the 350Z calipers. I'm going to give them a try. $56 for a set of 8. Worth a try since the dealership wants $56 for 1 bleeder.

I did try to contact Brembo here in MI. One location was a rotor factory, they sent me to another number in CA - no help. I could not find a number to the headquarters in Plymouth.. sent an email though.

Thanks,
Old 04-14-2010, 08:09 AM
thekinn

Also - I figured I'd mention that the speed bleeders come with a sealant applied to the threads.. sort of like the teflon idea you mentioned earlier. Hope to test them out by Friday - depends on when Oakos gets them in stock.

http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merch...y_Code=1065000

Quick Reply: Winter Projects '08-'09