Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Moving to DE and have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 10:23 AM
deviantZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to DE and have a few questions.

Hi all,

I am planning to move to the Newark, DE area at the end of May and have a few questions, and am wondering what to expect. I've never been up there, in fact, I've never been north of Atlanta, as far as the Eastern Seaboard is concerned, so I'm in for quite a change, though I am looking forward to it.

So what's the place like? Which are the best dealerships for servicing? Are their any dragstrips in the Wilmington/Newark area? An active Z club?

Also, do they ever open up the Dover Speedway to the public or for special event days? I know it's further south but I plan on going to see the races there, and have always wanted to drive that track.

For a little background, I grew up in Houston, lived in San Diego for 2 years and Tokyo for 2 years, live in FL now, so I'm climatized to big city life. I know that area is a little out of the "big city", but it'll be nice to be close to them. From looking at the map, it's obvious that it's right in the mix of several really cool areas.

Info me please. Any info on Baltimore and Philly would be appreciated too.

Thanks,
Ryan

Also, is Comcast the primary high speed provider in the area? I'm trying to figure out i I'll be able to transfer my account/email.

Last edited by deviantZ; 04-17-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Vader007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man, welcome to the mid atlantic, your in for a culture shock as the people here are considered rude and in a hurry! Life is a much faster pace.
The good side is you will be near two top tuners for the Z, Car V2 in wilminton DE and Altered Atmosphere the east coast TECHNOSQUARE!
both are top notch with great service and knowlege.
Dont know about Dover Downs, not into NASCAR. I think there is a dragstrip in DE, if not MapleGrove is only an hour or so away.
Yes Comcast is here.

Jerry
Old 04-17-2006, 12:44 PM
deviantZ

Originally Posted by Vader007
Hey man, welcome to the mid atlantic, your in for a culture shock as the people here are considered rude and in a hurry! Life is a much faster pace.
The good side is you will be near two top tuners for the Z, Car V2 in wilminton DE and Altered Atmosphere the east coast TECHNOSQUARE!
both are top notch with great service and knowlege.
Dont know about Dover Downs, not into NASCAR. I think there is a dragstrip in DE, if not MapleGrove is only an hour or so away.
Yes Comcast is here.

Jerry
Good to hear. I'm moving up with my sister and brother-in-law, and we're all speed freaks, I've got my Z, and they share a C5 Vette and a SC Cobra.

I'm looking forward to the faster pace. I've been in a small town that is in BFE too long and have been bored stiff for several years now.

So is DE considered North East or Mid Atlantic? I'm assuming there some overlap?

Last edited by deviantZ; 04-17-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:02 PM
lax91181

DE doesn't really exist, it is a myth. You blink and you are out of it. The east coast isn't that different from anywhere else, the people are meaner but smarter, things move fast, the accent is faster and shaper (not slow and low like the south), fly out of anywhere but Philly cause the flights are always late in Philly, we have public transportation here (trains aren't just a myth), hoagies are cold and subs are hot, subway sucks any joe blow hoagie shack is 3oo times better. I can go on later if ya want , enjoy your move there are few place in the USA where you can go to so many major cities within 3 hours (baltimore, DC, Philly, NYC etc...)
Old 04-17-2006, 04:53 PM
deviantZ

Originally Posted by lax91181
......the accent is faster and shaper (not slow and low like the south),
Dus that mean Ima gunna half ta lern Yaenkee?

hoagies are cold and subs are hot, subway sucks any joe blow hoagie shack is 3oo times better.
I can't wait. When I was in Chicago for bootcamp, I went to one of the meat sandwich (I dont know the proper name) joints downtown, and had one of the best meals of my life, I've heard Phillies blow them away. And from what I've heard, it sounds kind of like the Mom and Pop taco shops in San Diego, where they all sold Carne Asada burritos that were as big around as your forearm. It's gonna be on. I'm going to have to start getting up at 4am just to run it all off.

I can go on later if ya want , enjoy your move there are few place in the USA where you can go to so many major cities within 3 hours (baltimore, DC, Philly, NYC etc...)
Please do. This is the only major part of the US that I has neither visited nor lived in so far, and I want to take full advantage of the experience. I know I already plans to spend a few months worth of weekends going through the Smithonian, and want to do New York on New Years, I had a buddy from Baltimore a few years back that said the crab/crab festivals were to die for. Not my choice of words when dealing with seafood, we have oysters to die for here, but it sounds like a can't miss.

I need to see Niagra, and winter in Maine, maybe even a little Canada. And all 5 Great Lakes, well 4 really.

I can't wait until football season to get to go to some pro games. All my teams are down south, so I'm going to have to start scouting out a pro hac vice team. I'm also looking forward to the nightlife. Being from Florida I've been to some pretty cool clubs, and I know the North is reknown for it's nightlife.

Ah, yes, and snow. I'm going to need a few pointers on snow, please. I know not to eat the yellow and brown snow. And I plan to get a new beater before winter hits, but how well do the roads get washed off from all the salt? I fear my baby might get rotty on me, even in the summer. I've been told that DE is on a bit of coastal plain area that is shielded from the extremities of winter, does that mean it's just wet and cold *** hell in winter? FYI, the biggest snowman I've ever build was < 2' high.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to it. Now to find a job.

Last edited by deviantZ; 04-17-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:43 PM
lax91181

when in philly/nyc it is "yous guys" not "y'all" when ordering a piece of pizza and a soft drink at a pizza place it is called a slice and a coke. All cola is coke regardless if it is pepsi, rc, coca cola, walmart brand etc... Mello Yellow is a myth here and asking for it instead of Mt. Dew is grounds for being shot. Going to a philly sporting event and cheering for anyone but the home team could get you beat to death, esp. if you are at a birds game and cheer for any nfc east team. Saying that TO is misunderstood will get you beat as well. Hmmm, what else. Rush hour traffic on I-76 "the sure-kill" = rush hour on any hwy in houston (really, really bad). Geno's and Pat's should be the first two philly cheesesteaks you try here but thet won't be the best. You just have to do the tourist thing and go there, afterwards report back here and we will let you know the real places to go. For good bars in Philly try Old City, it won't disapoint. For dance clubs as someone else, I don't go to them so I have no idea. My last point for now is that Jvan/BeEssPee will say many things only .02% of those things should ever be believed/listened too and he tries to have meets every weekend.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:52 PM
deviantZ

lol, I'll kepp that in mind. How long does it take to get to Detroit in fair months?
Old 04-18-2006, 04:58 AM
sprazyo

Whats up bud. I live in Newark DE. I moved here 3 years ago from Ohio. I love it. I don't know how old you are but there is plenty to do in Delaware. Believe it or not. Good Bars, Good Restuarants, Beaches...awesome Golf. Chesapeake bay is about 20 minutes away and during the summer there is a place called the chesapeake in where they have canal days...think mardi gras but with boats and more boobies.

Nice *** horse racing facilty five minutes up the road. The university of delaware is in Newark so there are always division 1A football within five minutes plus hot *** college chicks. (I am 25)

If thats not good enough....you are (from Newark) 50 minutes to baltimore, 50 minutes to Philly, 2 hours to NYC, 1.5 to AC and an hour from Delaware beaches and 1.5 hours to Ocean City Maryland.

The closest dragstrip is in Cecil County and that is about 25 minutes away give or take depending on traffic.

There are a bunch of us with Z's around here and starting to form a little Z club.

When you get here and you want to get a beer. Let me know.

Mike
Old 04-18-2006, 07:06 AM
deviantZ

Yeah, the more I research it, the more I think I'm going to like it up there. I'm only 32 so still have a lot of game time left in me. We're currently looking at a place just south of the C&D Canal.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:13 AM
05-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Newark is nice, one of those typical college towns you see in movies. U of D is located there, so you you have plenty of places to eat and drink. (emphasis on drink... )

Wilmington is only 15 miles away and Philly maybe 30...if you're looking for places to live, (buy?) check Hockessin too, more or less adjacent to Newark.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:31 AM
sprazyo

Smile

Moving south of the canal. Middletown is very up and coming but is getting more and more expensive by the day. Two awesome golf courses. Frog Hollow and Back Creek. I bartend in Middletown at Maynards Piano Bar thursdays and saturdays. Best Food you will find around as well as great music. Drinks aren't bad either.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:30 AM
deviantZ

Newark sounds alot like Tallahassee, but without the "stranded 2-3 hours from anything remotely resembling another city" part.

I'll definitely be checking out the golf courses. I've picked the game back up recently, I pretty much suck still, but I try.

I'm also looking forward to being closer to the water. I've got an old Boston Whaler 13' Sport that I have been slowly restoring, that I want to bring up there.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:40 PM
05Blu3z

the closest drag strip to newark is 30 min away in cecil county maryland, i would either go to sheridan or down to dover dont go to porter one of the worst dealerships ever, and the dover speedway i believe(could be wrong) is never open to the public. oh and listen to sprayzo he knows what hes talking about.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Bullitproof

we have cecil country, englishtown, atco, maplegrove, and mir all in decent(less than 2 hours) driving distance. there's always a car show or drag race somewhere close in the spring, summer and fall. like everyone else said this area is is nice because you can travel to the major cities on the northeast without the hassle of living there. most people in the cities are moving to delaware for the lower cost of living. when you guys get here, look any of us delaware z's up. we'll be happy to show you the ropes.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:30 AM
deviantZ

I'm looking forward to it. Right now we're looking at the end of May.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:05 PM
xchriz012x

hey i live in newark too. sounds like everyone explained to you where everything is. if you like shopping...there are outlets in rehoboth beach which is about an hour away. king of prussia...about 45 mins away.
by the way...i'm a realtor. are you looking to buy or rent? if you need to contact me...pm me...i'll give u my number.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Clapton9286

I take 76 home every Friday at 330. Usually I get there in 45 mins...rush hour? 2 hours. ****ing horse****.

Anyway...a good restaurant in Philly is on Sansom.."Nodding Head". INCREDIBLE sandwiches and fries...great beer too!
Old 04-23-2006, 02:34 PM
kornyman14

Just moved here from Pittsburgh (well... 6 months ago, but it was winter, so I pretend I was sleeping), and just bought a Z to boot. There are about 100 places to shop on 202 North of Wilmington... and if that's not big enough, keep going north until you get to King of Prussia. Prussia is the biggest mall I have ever seen, and that's saying alot considering I've been to a few major cities.

I'm getting my Z this week, so anyone in the area, drop me a PM or IM, and we'll see what my new puppy can do!

Vader007, thanks for the tip on Car V2... I'll give them a try if I need any work done.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:12 PM
ht4

Originally Posted by kornyman14
Just moved here from Pittsburgh (well... 6 months ago, but it was winter, so I pretend I was sleeping), and just bought a Z to boot. There are about 100 places to shop on 202 North of Wilmington... and if that's not big enough, keep going north until you get to King of Prussia. Prussia is the biggest mall I have ever seen, and that's saying alot considering I've been to a few major cities.

I'm getting my Z this week, so anyone in the area, drop me a PM or IM, and we'll see what my new puppy can do!

Vader007, thanks for the tip on Car V2... I'll give them a try if I need any work done.
Congrats on the new Z! The wait must be killing you. I went on the lot and drove mine off an hour later. I don't think I would be able to handle the wait. What kind/color did you get?

There is no doubt that Car v2 is the best place around here for the Z. There are always a couple of Z's or G35c's in various stages of transformation in the shop. They have done a bunch of work for me and I have nothing but good things to say about the shop and the people... I have yet to hear of someone who has not had a good experience with them.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:17 PM
kornyman14

Don't want to hijack this thread, but here's what I know so far...

2003 Dark Grey w/ Xeon lights (so it's not base)
Spoiler (dealer beleivedit was the factory optional one)
After market in-dash DVD/CD player w/ LCD
... bought it off the Jersey Auto Auction for around $20k, has 24k miles.
I have yet to see it and i'm already freaking out.

I saw someone with a bright red Z with a huge spoiler that often parks in the same lot as me at work. I also saw a black Z (automatic) drive through the parking lot last week that looked lost. Anyone know either?

Quick Reply: Moving to DE and have a few questions.