Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Contesting a "paced" speeding ticket in PA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:46 AM
Silkk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contesting a "paced" speeding ticket in PA?

So, last evening I was on my way home from work on SR83 N. Road is posted 65, but the average speed travelled on this road is more like 75. For those of you unfamiliar with it, it is a major, free flowing highway.

In any case, I had merged on the highway and travelled maybe 4 miles at approximately this average speed - maybe even admittedly getting up to 77-79, etc. at times because you pass absolutely noone in the passing lane if you are only going 74-75.

I had found a good spot in the middle of "traffic" - i.e. there were no cars within 1/2 mile in front of me, 1/2 behind me, so I was just cruising along. Out of nowhere comes Mr. State Trooper. I could tell this car was FLYING up on me, so I naturally slowed down a bit to 70ish and pulled into the non-passing lane. Cop follows, pulls me over.

On the ticket it reads "Clocked" at 85 in a 65, which I take to mean paced? There is boxes to check for Radar, Vascar, ESP etc. etc. so I assume "Clocked" means anything else including pacing. Also leading me to believe this says that he followed me 2 miles and clocked me over .3 miles which I have researched and is the PA minimum distance for pacing.

Is there anyway to beat or at least get this 4 point ticket reduced? My problem is not that I deny speeding - as noted I was probably in the 75-79 range once I found my spot in traffic, however I was not going 85, nor do I think he could accurately pace me at any speed considering he was literally 1/2 mile+ behind me. I mean, he was nowhere NEAR me to time me between mile markers or anything. So, I think he pulled a number out of air and put it on the ticket.

Thoughts? I'm not a newb to getting PA citations. I've had 2 other 0 pointers this year, before that I was clean for probably 3 years, and before that I got about 3 citations over a year which resulted in my serving a short suspension (this background may be helpful b/c a judge may throw out anything I take to them considering my history). In any case, I've only ever fought one ticket and had it reduced and maybe hoping to accomplish this again...

If not, I'll just pay and deal with it. I had 0 points before this, but this puts me back up to 4 and in danger of the 6 range... not sure what happens if I cross that barrier again (for the 3rd time).
Old 11-21-2008, 02:14 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

get a lawyer and get it reduced.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:32 PM
BlueBallZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dam man, good luck with that. i got the same thing in Virginia when i drove my sisters G35 from NY to Atlanta. I just paid the ticket which only came out to 130
Old 11-21-2008, 05:18 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

It's probably worth fighting. Even if you have to pay the fine and then take one of those courses to buy a point or two, it's worth it if you value your privilege of driving leisurely. But also if you get a lawyer and take it to court I think they could demand that the officer produce a video or something that would somehow prove his 85 mph accusation.