Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

ATX Motorsports in Bergenfield NJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:29 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ATX Motorsports in Bergenfield NJ

Anyone have any work done here?

I have a 2005 Mazda 3 with a Magnaflow SS cat back exhaust, and it has become really loud. I checked for leaks and had my mechanic check as well, and everything is tight - no leaks.

So I went to ATX to get a quote on replacing the Magnaflow resonator with a better one - they recommended a small Vibrant muffler, and weld up the exhaust except for one flange for serviceability. The quote they gave me was $460!!!!!
Extremely pricey if you ask me - I wouldnt think this should even come close to $300 for what is essentially 1 hours work.
The vibrant 12 inch muffler, some small pieces of 2.25 SS, and 1 pair of flanges was quoted at $170, and $290 for labor.

I just cant see this being so expensive, just wanted some opinions on their work.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are a good bunch of guys, I've known the owner for a long time (since before he had a shop)

If you don't like the quote, get other quotes, and then compare all aspects of all quotes. Go on a Mazda 3 forum and see what shops they suggest locally

Keep in mind that welding your exhaust means removing it from the car, welding it, reinstalling it. I can tell you right away it's more than an hours worth of work, probably closer to 3 or 4, and that's assuming yours comes off easily
Old 06-25-2009, 02:00 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not knocking them, when I spoke to the owner he was very cool and seemed knowledgeable, I just think it is pricey.

In my driveway using jackstands all by my lonesome, I cut and removed the old exhaust and installed the magnaflow cat back in about 30 minutes.

I am just questioning the price, for about $75 more I can buy a new Borla cat-back system, which I have heard personally and is definitely quieter than mine, and uses 2.5" piping. There are even quite a few people on the mazda forums that have had complete custom fabricated exhausts for under $400.

I am in the process of getting other quotes as well, if they all come in around the same price maybe I am just over reacting.

FYI... this is how simple of an exhaust it is:

Last edited by myork; 06-25-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Consider that perhaps they are covering themselves should something take longer than expected, and simply want to ensure taking on the job still makes sense for them. While we don't work on any cars that don't belong to us, I remember what it was like thinking "no big deal", only to have them take considerably longer than anticipated...thus losing money. Just pays to look at it from all sides of the coin.

In this day and age of absolute HACK shops, I'll take expensive, right and on time any day of the week over cheap. Remember, the best deal is not always the cheapest price. That's why you're best off visiting area shops, getting a good comfort level, and making an informed decision.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 06-25-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have been an outstanding shop, I haven't done up the review yet.....but I have had my 240 back and passed the inital 500 mile break in period.

They always were easy to get a hold of, if they didn't know something they told you so and they found out the correct answer, and they provided much better quality of work than I had gotten from MRC.

I can reccomend Narvin and his shop based on finished product and customer support.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:03 PM
z32 Outlaw Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Atx = quality excellent work.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:13 PM
JZurita

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, they are very overpriced, but I've heard they do good work. I think Julian is still tuning there.

+1 on getting quotes from other places and showing them.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:02 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah julian is tuning there...ive heard good things....and op just get a different exhaust then if thats what u are set on...or do your own work
Old 06-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JZurita
Yes, they are very overpriced, but I've heard they do good work. I think Julian is still tuning there.

+1 on getting quotes from other places and showing them.

I'm talking in general terms here, not about ATX

Overpriced is a relative term IMHO.

To me, paying a low price and having to return to fix the same issue, or having to fix additional issues that crop up as a result of that person touching the car in the first place, is paying an overpriced fee. On the other hand, if someone quotes a price in the general area of other shops, and the job is done on time, as promised, and meets or exceeds your expectation, that price, to me, is fair, even if it's more expensive than another source.

The feeling of a ridiculously cheap price fades WAY quicker than the bitter taste of a job done incompletely
Old 06-27-2009, 12:56 AM
CrownR426

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I'm talking in general terms here, not about ATX

Overpriced is a relative term IMHO.

To me, paying a low price and having to return to fix the same issue, or having to fix additional issues that crop up as a result of that person touching the car in the first place, is paying an overpriced fee. On the other hand, if someone quotes a price in the general area of other shops, and the job is done on time, as promised, and meets or exceeds your expectation, that price, to me, is fair, even if it's more expensive than another source.

The feeling of a ridiculously cheap price fades WAY quicker than the bitter taste of a job done incompletely
You are wise Yoda.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:35 AM
chrisjersey06

I used them years ago back when I was into DSMs, good guys over there. Does anyone know if Chuck Pulna is still with them? He used to hook me up with some nice stuff.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:56 PM
ntwillie1

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I think they are expensive as well. They wanted $400 just to install a set of springs. I ended up doing them with a board member here for $100 and 2 hours. I did hear they did good work also but it doesn't mean I should overpay for it.