Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

NE Help me..possible car issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 11:42 AM
13SECZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NE Help me..possible car issues

I have a wierd problem...I have an HKS Ti and when you blip the throttle now it is making a different sound then normal. It really sounds like a human when hes getting a cold and you have flem in your mouth..u can hear it when you breathe...same thing..its not smooth it sounds like something is in there...

I have had the exhaust for several years and it has never made these sounds...it doesnt sound smooth..it kinda burbles and has a pop /backfire near the end...it basically sounds completely different as of 2 days ago vs all other times...

I had put a tank of gas in it recently from a station that I have never used..and I took it on a road trip to attmept to get the car tuned...when I got to my destination I noticed the sound..I wanna say that the car feels down on power also...could be my mind because of the sound..but it does feel lower..I did add some Octane booster but it doesnt seem to help..I have a utec but am not using a map...letting the stock ecu run the car..

I ran a code check and all I got was my cat codes...I have test pipes..so thats normal..no misfire codes or anything like that.

It doesnt sound like theres a hole in the exhaust..but it almost sounds like it is rubbing something underneath although I cant tell ...
Any ideas based on the info I told you ?

I dont want to bring it to Nissan because I still have a warranty and I dont want them to void..I dont believe its serious...but dont know where to start to look...

THX for any ideas..
Old 06-27-2009, 11:04 PM
knils

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe put your stock one back on and see if it still continues? It will sound different of course but at least you can check for the same issues and will help to rule out some things
Old 06-28-2009, 05:25 AM
03Tour6Spd

With the info given I have no idea lol. Try having someone block the exhaust with rags while you stick your head underneath. If there is a leak this would make it louder but on the ground it would still be hard to tell.

If it's something rubbing you would PROBABLY hear the note change over bumps.

Without someone actually hearing it or putting it on a lift it will be hard. So if none of that works I would say bring it to a shop and have a tech listen to it .
Old 07-02-2009, 09:00 AM
13SECZ

Thanks for the advice...

I figured out the problem.

Seems that one of my exhaust gaskets got damaged and therefore it was a small hole in the gasket causing the sound issue and or the loss of power..

My only question..

Can I use any exhaust gasket as long as it is the same size ? I dont have to get the exact ones that came with the hks ?

THX
Old 07-02-2009, 09:39 AM
knils

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see why you couldn't use one of the same size... I am not familiar with the hks so I can't give you a 100% answer but I assume any gasket is as good as any other.. my bassani is all slip fit
Old 07-02-2009, 01:00 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any exhaust gasket the same size will work