Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Hail storm in Union NJ on Sunday Evening

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 PM
ntwillie1

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Hail storm in Union NJ on Sunday Evening

So I'm home watching a Bruce Lee movie this past Sunday when at like 6:30pm it sounds like someone is shooting rocks at my house. I look out the window and golf sized hail is falling like mad. It came down hard for at least 10 mintues. When it finally let up I went outside to check my cars, luckily my Z was in the garage. Here's the damage to the other cars.

The Honda Accord now has over 250 dings on the hood, roof, trunk lid, fenders and doors. Basically the whole car is trashed.

The Acura MDX (new one I just bought a few months ago for the baby) has about 150 dings on the hood and roof, some on the outer window sills, and a cracked windshield about 2 feet across.

I called my insurance company right away and they said I'm covered but I have to pay the deductible which is $500 on each. So this really sucks. I'm gonna be out $1000 cause mother nature decided to **** ice rocks over my house.

Anyone else get hit bad?

*** Editing my original post, i got the adjuster to come look at the cars

He said for the accord, $3300 in damage. He said he will replace the hood, trunk lid, and pdr the rest. He said if he doesn't pdr the roof then it will be a total loss and I won't get much for the car. So whatever, I might get it fixed or sell it and then use the money i get from the sale plus insurance check towards a new one. It would be a shame to total the car because the engine runs 100% perfect and I just dumped like $1500 into her this winter with new brakes, water pump, timing belt, etc...

For the MDX,$5076 in damages. $683 of that is to replace the windshield alone the rest is for the dings. I dropped the Acura off today at my local Honda body shop that I like. They will have it back to me by next week.

*** Second update - I sold the Accord

Last edited by ntwillie1; 08-06-2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Update
Old 07-28-2009, 05:06 AM
tranceformer95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing in the Edison / New Brunswick area, just some heavy rain.

Sorry to hear about your cars.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:07 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't get anything up by me, but I know the more coastal areas got pounded.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:28 AM
plumpzz

Damn sorry. Just a lot of rain here. I just waxed with zaino that afternoon too.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:45 AM
Goku350z2007

No hail in the Rahway area, just rain sorry to hear that man.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:35 PM
smellyborrelli

i would gladly take a new paintjob for $500
Old 07-28-2009, 04:06 PM
mallison

I feel your pain man, my Z got hit about a month ago... make sure you find a good shop to take care of them!
Old 07-28-2009, 06:13 PM
ntwillie1

Originally Posted by smellyborrelli
i would gladly take a new paintjob for $500
A new paint job? The insurance people said they want to try and pop all the dents out first using paintless dent repair. I dont' think its going to come out very well.. It'll take them weeks to get them all out. I hope they just give in and replace the body panels on my accord and paint them but so far doesn't sound like they wanna go down that route. For the MDX they def have to replace the windshield, not sure what they are planning for the body.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:14 PM
ntwillie1

Originally Posted by mallison
I feel your pain man, my Z got hit about a month ago... make sure you find a good shop to take care of them!
When my TL got hit ( 2 months old) i found a place by me that did excellent work. I'm going back to them. No orange peel or sign of having had my fender hit. Looked factory new. Thanks for the well wishes.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:17 PM
JerseyG35guY

yeah same here! i was outside trimming the shrubs, and at first it started raining and i really didnt mind it, it was really hot out anyway, then it got a little stronger and thought, ill finish up in a little and go in, and then the winds was throwin the rain at least 40 mph, maybe faster. by the time i put away the trimmer, i was getting the **** kicked out of me by hail. it was nuts! it was abuot 90 out, sunny, raining, and hailing. the most confusing **** ive ever experienced. oh and im in warren, somerset county.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:17 PM
knils

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wtf? Tell your insurance company to **** off and go get everything replaced. You didn't have repaired body panels before the hail and you shouldn't now. It isn't up to them anyways, it is up to you where you take your car to be fixed and it is up to that shop to estimate the damages and decide how they would like to fix them. You don't need to take directive from your insurance provider, don't let them do that to you.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:28 PM
ntwillie1

Originally Posted by knils
Wtf? Tell your insurance company to **** off and go get everything replaced. You didn't have repaired body panels before the hail and you shouldn't now. It isn't up to them anyways, it is up to you where you take your car to be fixed and it is up to that shop to estimate the damages and decide how they would like to fix them. You don't need to take directive from your insurance provider, don't let them do that to you.

I think you're right man. I'll talk to my body shop guy. I'm sure when he sees over 400 dings between my two cars that he isn't going to want to spend the rest of his career pulling them out. I'll have him persuade them to just replace the panels. I'm so upset about this. And on top of it all, they said they probably won't come to appraise the cars until Friday because of the call volume. I like Travelers but this one particular experience so far is not a good one.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:58 PM
JerseyG35guY

go gieco! i know its cleche but theres the best, hands down.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:08 PM
knils

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even then I don't think they will be able to get all of those dents out without some damage to the surface or it being out of shape, requiring a repair/repaint anyway so why are they wasting the labor hours with all of the dents?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:19 PM
ntwillie1

Originally Posted by JerseyG35guY
Sorry JerseyGuy but i'm gonna have to disagree. Last time I got hit by a person that had Geico the adjuster was insisting on putting non factory parts on my car. I got my bodyshop guy to tell them the imitation parts (fender) they ordered didn't fit right which was actually true so they ended up having to buy factory parts. As a matter of fact, the Geico rep told me that what they do first is try to get the part from a junk yard and use that for the car. If that doesn't work, then they use non factory (imitation) parts. As a last resort they will then get factory parts. Maybe thats how they get their prices so low. Unfortunately for me, that meant putting cheap parts on my car which I wanted no part of.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:21 PM
ntwillie1

Originally Posted by knils
Even then I don't think they will be able to get all of those dents out without some damage to the surface or it being out of shape, requiring a repair/repaint anyway so why are they wasting the labor hours with all of the dents?
I agree with you. I wonder what it would take for me to get a car out of this. I mean my accord is an 01LX sedan with 95k miles on it. It runs like a champ and looks the part, but now with all these dings and all it looks ruined. I kelly blue booked it the other day and it was somewhere around 4k. I doubt they'll give me a new car in return but I can dream can't I
Old 07-28-2009, 07:46 PM
JerseyG35guY

well i just had a little accident with my G, and i got all new parts, all oem from infiniti, even gave me 1700 for the headlights, and if you knwo anything abuot the price range for headlights, i didnt spend anywhere near that, considering i reused my old ballasts.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:20 PM
ntwillie1

well i just had a little accident with my G, and i got all new parts, all oem from infiniti, even gave me 1700 for the headlights, and if you knwo anything abuot the price range for headlights, i didnt spend anywhere near that, considering i reused my old ballasts.
Maybe they only hook you guys up that have geico but when geico drivers hit others they cheap out on us. Thats just me speculating. Hahahah. Anyway, glad to hear you got all new and factory parts. Thats the best way to go.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:18 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

HAHAHAHA the best?? Get real! They are AWFUL. My friend who has them in NY got into a nasty accident and has a lot of his rear passenger suspension FUBAR. However, Geico REFUSES to put anything OEM on the car. They will only use 3rd party or used OEM.

You get what you pay for!

I have State Farm and they are great. They got in a lawsuit many years ago for using non-OEM parts (like many insurance companies were) so they don't do that anymore. You will pay more, but like I said, you get what you pay for.♠
Old 07-29-2009, 05:35 PM
JerseyG35guY

yeah, well to be really honest, i didnt buy all OEM parts, i used the check they wrote me to buy mostly aftermarket stuff, like vented fenders (duraflex) Greddy front (duraflex) VIS slayer hood cf and Cincity headlights. (google g35 knight rider) so only OEM stuff really was new radiator and some other stuff that was not really important to the look. lol

Quick Reply: Hail storm in Union NJ on Sunday Evening