Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

garaged for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 09:37 AM
350Zzzz
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stacy, Chris

The two of you are real troopers; snow storm and all

G
Old 12-13-2003, 10:35 AM
notlownf

No silly snow storm is going to keep me from having lunch with you guys
Old 12-13-2003, 11:50 AM
vics350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be there. I PM'd Jeff so that he can pick me up in his Pathfinder. Good thing he lives around the corner from me.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:22 PM
HEUGE
Charter Member #40

Sorry guys, but I am meeting a friend coming in from out of town for Dim Sum, otherwise it would be fun to meet up again. It looks like snow is coming back again tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2003, 03:18 PM
notlownf

Huege- have you ever lost your car in a snow bank?
Old 12-13-2003, 07:08 PM
HEUGE
Charter Member #40

Since I was not in Boston during the last snowstorm, my 350Z has not yet been fully submerged under snow. The 350Z has only seen a few inches of snow unlike many of the guys who posted pics on board.

I have a old picture somewhere of my sister and I playing on our family's new 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Custom Cruiser station wagon. The snow had buried it to the roof. The only thing that you could see was the metal luggage-carrier frame on the roof top. I think we might have made a small snowman on top of that. Having lived in Wisconsin and Upstate NY, buried cars are not uncommon.

edit: I used to drive that station wagon in high-school, and since the thing had rusted-out by then (with the fake vinyl wood panels holding the rust together), I used a regular broom to clear the snow off the car. Standard snow brushes were too puny for the BEAST. I wonder how people clean their windshields on the H1/H2's?

Last edited by HEUGE; 12-13-2003 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:34 PM
edubbzzz

The winter is going to kill me i drive back and forth everyday for my job and i travel about 15 to 20 miles every day all day, the Z will be seein plenty of snow this year, and the blizzaks are a deffinte i tried getting around in the snow two weeks ago it was a very SCARY situation!!!

LaterZ,
Erich

Ill post some pics of the Z and the SNOW!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2003, 07:09 PM
kj301

What I do for winter storage is:

Change oil
Full tank of gas with Stabil
Raise wipers of windshield (with foam)
Cover

I start the z every 2 weeks and allow it to run for 20 - 30 mins. I also take it out of the garage and drive it back in so I don't keep the tires in the same spot. Although my front tires are shot from feathering (so I am not as fussy this year). I have started the ball rolling on having the fronts replaced but figured it would be better to have the old tires for the winter and get new ones (from nissan) in the spring.

As for the insurance. I take all off except comp. But in order to do that in Ma I have to take the plates off.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:23 PM
SteveZ

I live in NW CT. My thoughts for Winter storage:

I drive. I put 3000k on my Z from November 2002 to February 2003, during on of the crappiest CT winters lately. On stock tires. It's not my only car, so I don't have to drive it on any given day.

The car's a driver. New England (CT) has one thing over a lot of other places I've lived - sub-freezing clear, cold days w/o snow or sleet, just clear sky and sun. A dry road and sunshine....

I have lots of other choices for the really sketchy days with FWD or 4WD, but I really would never even think of missing the morning run to work with 25 deg F and a warm engine, it loves that cold air even if the road is a little sandy and the stock rubber hard as plastic.

I'd be more inclined to store the car back in AZ with the destruction of the July/August heat and parking out in the sun every day at work.

Sure I love the car, but it will not be a Garage Queen until (if ever) its old and grey...
Old 12-23-2003, 03:22 PM
rouxeny

GREAT day today for a drive. I went out for a little 25 miler around New Haven and Milford.

The Z in the cold is really great, except for the damn rattles.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:40 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Picked up my baby from the shop in Long Island, drove to Westchester and back home. It was a great feeling

Gerald
Old 12-24-2003, 10:50 AM
whitetrack

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I never put the car up like I said I would. Instead, I have just kept it in the garage. Monday and Tuesday were great days so I washed the Z and changed the oil and put her away for the next time the weather is good. I can't drive it until April though. But the insurance rebate is worth it.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:01 PM
rouxeny

What's your car doing in Long Island?
Old 12-24-2003, 12:50 PM
SteveZ

Originally posted by rouxeny
GREAT day today for a drive. I went out for a little 25 miler around New Haven and Milford.

The Z in the cold is really great, except for the damn rattles.
no doubt, put on about 50 miles today myself, rain & all - had the driving jones bad, went up and around NW CT, Barkhamsted loop (bumpy but good for no traffic), tour of North Granby and eventually home ("where were you after work honey, I was starting to worry? Uh, stuck in traffic..."
Old 12-24-2003, 12:54 PM
SteveZ

Originally posted by edubbzzz
The winter is going to kill me i drive back and forth everyday for my job and i travel about 15 to 20 miles every day all day, the Z will be seein plenty of snow this year, and the blizzaks are a deffinte i tried getting around in the snow two weeks ago it was a very SCARY situation!!!

LaterZ,
Erich

Ill post some pics of the Z and the SNOW!!!!!!
just remember the blizzaks have their own version of scariness, lack of dry road traction and less stiff sidewalls. I find that kind of tire also has more sudden break-loose point, and burnouts will leave you w/cords only!
Old 12-24-2003, 04:13 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

What's your car doing in Long Island?
Got a few things done at Westbury Nissan, and will have to drop it off again after New Year.

Are your parents still here?

Merry Christmas!

Gerald
Old 12-25-2003, 11:24 AM
rouxeny

No, my parents left a few weeks ago.

Anybody know of any good drives in the New Haven area?
Old 12-25-2003, 03:15 PM
jeff

Gerald, I notice you have an additional item in your sig. Did you have them installed yet. If so, how do you like them, and how much did you lower?

Happy Holidays,
Jeff
Old 12-25-2003, 05:27 PM
SteveZ

No, my parents left a few weeks ago.

Anybody know of any good drives in the New Haven area?
Head over 95 past Branford and p/u the backroads North towards East Haddam, North to nearly Bolton/Vernon area - check your CT map, great roads.

There are a series of 2-lane twisty roads that run roughly South/North and cross Rt. 9 eventually. Rt. 83 north of there is pretty decent too.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:01 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Originally posted by jeff
Gerald, I notice you have an additional item in your sig. Did you have them installed yet. If so, how do you like them, and how much did you lower?

Happy Holidays,
Jeff
Got the Teins, and replaced my fuel system; with larger injectors, FP & FPR. With the Teins I lowered the front slightly > 3/4 and the rears slightly > 1/2; and I am back to my stock 18" wheels.

Will only finalize the drop when I get my HRE(s) back.

BTW, I am back to the stock exhaust; if you haven't heard.

How's your baby?

Happy New Year

G

Quick Reply: garaged for the winter