Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

UPRev in MA // Passing inspection

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:12 AM
JohnnydVQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rich2342
The problem with this is, I have been modified and tuned since 2010. I passed each year except this one...

So the Rom had been changed well before. I looked back at my inspection reports(printouts) Each one the Same:

"Not Supported" for Cat Monitor, Catalyst Heater Monitor

Secondary Air System Monitor, A/C System Monitor and finally Exhaust Gas Recirculation monitor (EGR) all "Not Supported" each of the years I passed.

I was flagged only this year??? WHY?
They just started checking the ECU codes of our cars within the last year or so this is all relativity new for the VQ crowd but its been going on for a while in the DSM/Subi world. Not Supported and N/A is ok it just means they are not used by the car, not ready and fail is a problem that would need to be fixed prior to going. I really wanted to get tuned so I did a bunch of research trying to figure out how to manage the issue with MAC, basically its unavoidable now so no tuning for me. I've heard of evo guys having to go to the mac center every year so I just don't know anymore. I hope thats not going to be the case for you but you might want to prepare yourself for that.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 AM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well it's unavoidable as I was rejected and need to go to a MAC. So now, I need to know conclusively what to do. De-tune and de-mod? or some variation in between?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:40 AM
JohnnydVQ

I think you'd be ok as long as you have cats, your tune doesn't mess with any emissions components so you should have to worry about that. From what I've read cats and other emissions components are what they are looking to be present and working properly. In our cars its really just the cats that you would think they would be concerned with but I'm not totally sure. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:59 PM
ztriumph

I just failed as well, have an uprev tune. Went to MAC and they said I need to prove my car is stock and the system says everything is ready in order to get a sticker.

What was everyone else's solution?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Traininvain

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I hadn't passed, my next solution was going to be to buy another 07-08 ECU that wasn't flashed. They go on ebay for cheap (03-05 even cheaper), and you can just plug and go as far as I know. If I was going to be in the car for a few more years I'd definitely go this route.

Especially for the guys with tunes but a passable exhaust (HFC and catback, etc), this is what I would personally do. If you have ART's then this may work but might throw an emissions related code on the stock ECU?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-NISSAN-35...37f48d&vxp=mtr
Old 03-14-2013, 05:37 AM
rich2342

Originally Posted by ztriumph
I just failed as well, have an uprev tune. Went to MAC and they said I need to prove my car is stock and the system says everything is ready in order to get a sticker.

What was everyone else's solution?
Which MAC?

What is your set up? Where were you tuned?

What did the OBD2 say? Was it due to readiness?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Elite 350z

UPRev tuned for the last 3 years and just went for my inspection and passed like always. My supported mods are UPRev tune, injen CAI, Agency power single, Berks HFC and Ichiba Y-pipe.

Last edited by Elite 350z; 03-29-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:02 AM
rich2342

Who tuned you? Depends on if the OBD sensors where bypassed.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Elite 350z

Performance Motorsports in NY.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Mamounas123

I have gotten my car tuned at performance motorsports as well when i was in new york two years ago. Last time i got my inspection was in May of 2012 successfully. I recently installed PPE Longtube Headers and my car definitely needs a tune since it hesitates. You guys think I ll have issues if I get a new tune and go for inspection? I was thinking of going to Kaizen Tuning and have thought of calling them to hear their thoughts. Any thoughts from you guys?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:50 AM
morphiusrt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend just got a sticker no problem with a tune. It really just boils down to the inspector. When they plug your car in some of the sensors show their reading is unavailable like there is no sensor there.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:46 AM
imkindafkedup

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what tuning system you have. I have An HKS Fcon pro and although I don't have a check engine light I have 3 monitors showing not ready so I can't pass. I may have something in the works that will plug in and will show all monitors as ready tho. I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Mamounas123

Originally Posted by morphiusrt
My friend just got a sticker no problem with a tune. It really just boils down to the inspector. When they plug your car in some of the sensors show their reading is unavailable like there is no sensor there.
Does He have test pipes or long tubes on his car? Problem is my car has no cats! and i dont want to go to the expense of putting cats back on. Is there anyway we can bypass the system to show everything is showing ready on the sensor when the inspector plugs in his computer?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Mamounas123

Originally Posted by imkindafkedup
Depends on what tuning system you have. I have An HKS Fcon pro and although I don't have a check engine light I have 3 monitors showing not ready so I can't pass. I may have something in the works that will plug in and will show all monitors as ready tho. I'll keep you posted.
Keep me posted my friend. I have till the end of May till my sticker expires? It just sucks since I installed the PPE Longtube headers on my HR this past summer. but have not gone around to doing the tune. Then I hear from everyone on the forums that people with no cats are not passing even when they are tuned and no CEL is on. Does it really depend on the inspector? What if I know someone who does inspections will they be able to pass me? I know everything is live on the inpsectors computers thru the state and their are certain things they cant slide by?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:22 PM
imkindafkedup

The inspector can only pass visuals. The obd 2 determines the readiness. I don't have a cel but If you're catless like me you'll likely get an o2, evap, and another monitor that all say not ready.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Mamounas123

Originally Posted by imkindafkedup
The inspector can only pass visuals. The obd 2 determines the readiness. I don't have a cel but If you're catless like me you'll likely get an o2, evap, and another monitor that all say not ready.
So in other words the only option would be to get the cats back on and retune? That way all monitors say ready?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:35 PM
imkindafkedup

I can't say about your system for sure. But but you'll need all but one monitor ready to pass.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:37 AM
rich2342

Catalyst and EVAP must be READY. They cannot show N/A or Unsupported. IF they do you have to undo your set up until they are..
Old 06-04-2013, 06:16 AM
Zmindset

any updates on those of you who have failed ? was anything corrected ?
im looking to drop in some arts and wanted to purchase uprev :/ (so much for modding)

Is uprev looking into maybe helping the issue ?
I noticed on there site they are not showing any tuners in mass . i know there are a few but for liability reasons seems like they dont wanna post them on there site.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:49 AM
ChrisSlicks

Originally Posted by Zmindset
any updates on those of you who have failed ? was anything corrected ?
im looking to drop in some arts and wanted to purchase uprev :/ (so much for modding)

Is uprev looking into maybe helping the issue ?
I noticed on there site they are not showing any tuners in mass . i know there are a few but for liability reasons seems like they dont wanna post them on there site.
Kaizen does UpRev tuning. Boxborough Mass.

In UpRev there is an option to turn off the secondary O2 sensors that measure Cat efficiency. I believe by turning those off you can fail the Mass OBDII test. Probably better to leave them on and simply stuff the sensor tubes with steel wool.

UpRev isn't the most forthcoming with information, basically they just say that all systems must show "ready". Reading between the lines that means don't turn any emissions stuff off and you should be okay.

Quick Reply: UPRev in MA // Passing inspection