Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

winter tires??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Phamaggot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, CP!
Can you tell me why I see there's a separate decision -one I hadn't expected at all in this snow tire purchase quest- the question of Wheels?

At the tire rack site (and I could find no comparable vendor, not even the "Eastern" guy who hangs out here) they are chatting me up for new wheels as well as tires. But, my current (and brand new 350Z Enthusiast) is wearing
the standard 17 inchers, and there seems to be no obvious and dumb reason why I should not buy snow tires that'd fit my 17" wheels ??

Is it the convenience factor? the nice idea of having them 4 babies ready to pop on the lugs with no fussy mounting hassles each winter/spring, CP2?

Does it pay for itself after a couple of seasonal shifts without the old "mount/dismount" procedure, IYO ?

Thanks much, and a real Happy New YEar all the year long to all the Celts in your life!
-Phamaggs
Old 01-02-2005, 02:04 PM
CelticPride2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Phamaggot
Thanks, CP!
Can you tell me why I see there's a separate decision -one I hadn't expected at all in this snow tire purchase quest- the question of Wheels?

At the tire rack site (and I could find no comparable vendor, not even the "Eastern" guy who hangs out here) they are chatting me up for new wheels as well as tires. But, my current (and brand new 350Z Enthusiast) is wearing
the standard 17 inchers, and there seems to be no obvious and dumb reason why I should not buy snow tires that'd fit my 17" wheels ??

Is it the convenience factor? the nice idea of having them 4 babies ready to pop on the lugs with no fussy mounting hassles each winter/spring, CP2?

Does it pay for itself after a couple of seasonal shifts without the old "mount/dismount" procedure, IYO ?

Thanks much, and a real Happy New YEar all the year long to all the Celts in your life!
-Phamaggs
The main reason why I've seen people go with the wheel/tire combo package is convenience. When the bad weather comes, all you've gotta do is switch out the wheels and you're good to go. This is also popular with people who want to aovid subjecting their rims to the snow, salt etc. I've got my Blizzaks mounted on a set of "beater" rims, which allows me to keep the stock rims in better condition (my stock rims have never seen snow). The tire shop I got the pack from changes them over for free every spring/fall, so costs are a non-issue for me.