Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

winter tires??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 12:17 PM
jdm 350z nyc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter tires??

hey everyone i'm the new guy just wanted to see if anyone was getting new tires for the winter? if so any good deals out there? preferably in the NY area?
Old 10-28-2004, 04:04 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: winter tires??

Originally posted by jdm 350z nyc
hey everyone i'm the new guy just wanted to see if anyone was getting new tires for the winter? if so any good deals out there? preferably in the NY area?
I am going with the Dunlop Sport M3 tires. THey are the same snow tires Audi dealers put on the Audi RS6! Just about the best handling snow tires around.

They are probably not as good on ice as, say, blizzaks, but the Z will eat the blizzaks pretty fast because of that soft compound.

Probably the cheapest way to get the is TireRack.com but then you need a local shop to mount them and balance them.

I went to the local Town Fair Tire. They come pretty close to the tire rack price and they offer lots of free services like flat repair, changeovers, etc.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:38 AM
jdm 350z nyc

sounds good i'm gona look into those tires u just mentioned.. has anyone ever heard of eastern in flushing, queens? i was thinking of checking them out for prices on tires..?
Old 11-16-2004, 07:49 PM
ZZZealous007

heard of EASTERN never been there, if you havent gotten your tires yet let me know if you go. maybe theyll hook it up for 2 sets. If you already got your tires, which kind did you get? and where?
Old 11-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Severed Ties

I just got blizzaks mounted on my stock rims so once we hit the snow season thats what I'll be using.

ST
Old 11-17-2004, 05:58 PM
Queens 350z

Originally posted by ZZZealous007
heard of EASTERN never been there, if you havent gotten your tires yet let me know if you go. maybe theyll hook it up for 2 sets. If you already got your tires, which kind did you get? and where?
If you guys to go Eastern ask for Paul. Tell him Luis from G squad sent you over. He is really cool. Eastern always has great stuff.

Luis
Queens350Z
Old 11-17-2004, 06:00 PM
NY 350Z

i have the blizzaks, i used them last winter and they are great.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:03 AM
FayZ

I have been looking for winter tires too. the best price i have seen is tirerack.com. I have gotten the Dunlop Graspic DS-2
for my stock 17 like $400 shipped cause at the time that's all they had in stock. They are good people at Eastern but they need to pay high rent, So I dont think they can give you a better price then the internet and you still have to go out to get it mounted.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:21 PM
jdm350gt

Originally posted by FayZ
I have been looking for winter tires too. the best price i have seen is tirerack.com. I have gotten the Dunlop Graspic DS-2
for my stock 17 like $400 shipped cause at the time that's all they had in stock. They are good people at Eastern but they need to pay high rent, So I dont think they can give you a better price then the internet and you still have to go out to get it mounted.
How u all doing?
This is paul from EASTERN.
We've sold about 20 sets of tires already for this coming winter. (about 6 sets to the NY G-squad members)..
Our prices are better than tirerack....if u don't believe us, come and give us a try.
as far as Easter is paying high rent....LOL....i guess u buy everything online huh?
Old 12-04-2004, 06:05 AM
rherreraf

This is going to be my first winter in the 350z. What happens if I don't put winter tires? I mean, last winter I just put regular all-season tires in my Maxima, and they were just fine.

Any real experience driving in snow on regular tires on the 350z?
Old 12-04-2004, 08:39 AM
CelticPride2

Originally posted by rherreraf
This is going to be my first winter in the 350z. What happens if I don't put winter tires? I mean, last winter I just put regular all-season tires in my Maxima, and they were just fine.

By regular tires, do you mean the stock Z tires or all-season ones? The stock Z tires aren't meant for cold weather at all. If u do a search, you'll see a lot of disaster stories from folks who used the stock tires in the white stuff. All-seasons will be better, but still a step down from regular snow tires.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:57 PM
Billz

I recently purchased a set of blizzaks (wheek and tire package) from tirerack this past thursday, opted for the cheapest shippings which is UPS ground, and it arrived the next day, Friday. Talk about fast service.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:44 AM
themyst

i have a set of blizzaks mounted on stock Z touring 18" wheels. Lucky for me I got a 3.2 TL for the winter, so these wheels are of no use to me anymore. any takers?
Old 12-08-2004, 08:51 PM
herbrock17

Originally posted by themyst
i have a set of blizzaks mounted on stock Z touring 18" wheels. Lucky for me I got a 3.2 TL for the winter, so these wheels are of no use to me anymore. any takers?
how much?
Old 12-29-2004, 06:44 PM
StandAloneZ

Originally posted by rherreraf

If you're thinkin bout stickin with the stock tires you're not gonna betoo pleased with the results. These stock tires suck in the snow. I was goin 15 mph in this past storm and the car wasnt goin anywhere. Anyways, Im also lookin into winter tires and i wanted to know if its bad to just buy 2 for the rears and keep the stock fronts?? Do they make them for the stock 18s?
Old 12-29-2004, 06:57 PM
CelticPride2

Originally posted by StandAloneZ
If you're thinkin bout stickin with the stock tires you're not gonna betoo pleased with the results. These stock tires suck in the snow. I was goin 15 mph in this past storm and the car wasnt goin anywhere. Anyways, Im also lookin into winter tires and i wanted to know if its bad to just buy 2 for the rears and keep the stock fronts?? Do they make them for the stock 18s?
Based on the research I did before I got my Blizzaks, it seems to me that just buying 2 for the rears isn't worthwhile. If you have snow tires on the rears and the stock tires on the front, you'll be giving the car a split personality in terms of handling...the back of the car will handle ok, but the front end will still suck.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:03 PM
StandAloneZ

Originally posted by CelticPride2
Based on the research I did before I got my Blizzaks, it seems to me that just buying 2 for the rears isn't worthwhile. If you have snow tires on the rears and the stock tires on the front, you'll be giving the car a split personality in terms of handling...the back of the car will handle ok, but the front end will still suck.
Are you talkin bout handling in the snow or handling in general? Cuz im gonna be changing rims back and forth so when it gets dry i can have the toyo T1s on there.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:08 PM
CelticPride2

Originally posted by StandAloneZ
Are you talkin bout handling in the snow or handling in general? Cuz im gonna be changing rims back and forth so when it gets dry i can have the toyo T1s on there.
I was talking about handling in the snow specifically. As for handling in dry conditions, I hadn't given that much thought. Given the fact that the snow tires are made of a softer rubber than the Toyo's, you'd probably see some difference in the dry too. Anybody out there who can elaborate on this?
Old 12-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Phamaggot

These Blizzak tires come in several varieties, don't they? I just got a 350 Enthusiast '05- (it isn't nearly as forgiving in snow as was my 300TT with all-seasons)

You guys who've researched this stuff... would you mind sharing your wisdom? I'm even a bit surprised you'd opt to buy these bulky heavy things by UPS instead of local retail. It must expensive to ship 'em... and then there's still the mount and balance... by the local brick'n'mortar retailers -who may be less than delighted you didn't buy from them? Gees, it's human nature, isn't it?
Old 12-30-2004, 01:03 PM
CelticPride2

Originally posted by Phamaggot
These Blizzak tires come in several varieties, don't they? I just got a 350 Enthusiast '05- (it isn't nearly as forgiving in snow as was my 300TT with all-seasons)

You guys who've researched this stuff... would you mind sharing your wisdom? I'm even a bit surprised you'd opt to buy these bulky heavy things by UPS instead of local retail. It must expensive to ship 'em... and then there's still the mount and balance... by the local brick'n'mortar retailers -who may be less than delighted you didn't buy from them? Gees, it's human nature, isn't it?
I didn't buy mine online...I went to a local tire shop to get them. As for the local retailers being disappointed you didn't get the tires from them, it's often a non-issue...I know the tire rack has arrangements with local shops all over the country where they'll ship the tires to an affiliated local shop of your choice, and they'll preform the install for you. Check out their website for info.

The Blizzaks come in 2 varieties. The LM-22's are what I have, and they seem to be the most popular with people here based on the other posts I've read. The LM-22 is Bridgestone's "performance" snow tire and is designed for sportier cars. Their other model is the WS-50, which is more of a traditional snow tire; it's got a lower speed rating, and I believe it may be made of a softer rubber compund than the LM-22's

Quick Reply: winter tires??