Huge dilemma - some advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 09:47 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Huge dilemma - some advice needed

Hey guys,

This has been a really hard situation for me and I am really opening up here for some advice. As you know I have only had my car for about 4 months now. I bought it in January and it is a 5AT. Yes I know, it was a mistake because I thought I would be commuting with the Z (100+miles each day) and I ended up getting a free beater from my parents.

Anyway, I have been really itching to get a manual because I miss driving a MT badly, especially after the Roslyn drive. My options right now is basically try to find someone to trade cars with (minus all the parts) which is very hard to find. The other is to trade it in for a 6spd. I have found a nice DB Z with 31k miles with the same trim. The dealership would of course take my Z as a trade-in but we have not discuss any prices on that yet. I want to know what's the best way to trade a vehicle in. I have never done that yet and I would like to know.

-If I'm serious about this should I be taking all the parts off before I come in for a trade-in?
-Or should I come in with my car as it is, then ask them about the trade-in value, etc and tell them that I would be swapping parts between the two cars (is this even possible?)
-Tell them when I bring the car for a trade-in I will be bringing it completely stock like the way their car is currently (this involves me buying stock parts and swapping stuff out.
-Forget it all and just keep my Z and buy another weekend car 3-4 years from now (gt-r maybe?)

My Z has 41,500 miles now and is in pretty much mint condition. I bought it for 22k out the door and I downed 7k so I had 15k payoff and of that I have about $14k left.

The car I'm interested in is

http://i-5-motors.ebizautos.com/webd...px?iid=1712002

Some advice would be really helpful. Thanks guys.

Alvin
Old 05-21-2007, 10:02 AM
redlude97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most dealerships would rather have a stock car, so they may be willing to allow you to swap parts between the two. For the brakes, not so sure, they may want you to have their shop do the swap due to liabilities with DIY swaps. It really depends on how much more you are willing to invest, but IMO you just can't go wrong with a 6mt even at a higher cost.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Devil Z

You have an auto? O.O
Old 05-21-2007, 11:25 AM
skidmarq

Have you thought about an MT swap out instead of swapping cars altogether?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:26 AM
StormZ

Dude buy another Z, and do the swap yourself. Sell your old AT Z privately, and don't get raped by the dealer. Yeah you will have to carry two loans for awhile, but it should save you thousands in the end. If you hurry you will be able to take advantage of the summer buyers season.

Mason
Old 05-21-2007, 11:29 AM
umsta

i just traded in my rsx when i got my 07. I had it fully mugened and everything and went to one place. They offered me kbb but told me that they couldnt give me a final price on it because they had to recheck how stock it would be recieved in. Then I went to auburn nissan after changing it back to stock. I still had springs and on of my head light brackets was broken and then during the negotiations they told me mehhh ehhhh ur car seems to have been lowered and we dont know about the suspension if its still stock or what not and the head light seems to have this and that bull crap. They then told me that they could offer me 12k when KBB was 15500 or so. I told them I needed atleast 15k and then we negotiated to 14600 cause i was like meh ill let them get the parts and fix the problems.

So the bottom line is take it back in stock. If you dont then they have excuses to bring u down on the negotiations. Dont tell them your car was EVER modified. Cause in the end they will haggle u back and forth till u decide ah its not worth arguing so much and they know u want the new car so they will wait it out. Be stern tho and be ready to get out of your seat that way they will hurry to talk to u. If you want ill help you take down some of your parts and maybe if i have time go along wid ya to the dealership. I know buying a car is a big process and i just went through one so i still have the mind set.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:03 PM
wasuber

Originally Posted by StormZ
Dude buy another Z, and do the swap yourself. Sell your old AT Z privately, and don't get raped by the dealer. Yeah you will have to carry two loans for awhile, but it should save you thousands in the end. If you hurry you will be able to take advantage of the summer buyers season.

Mason

+1 this a pretty good idea, do a trade in request on any of the local car dealers websites they have online appraisal tool, and I guarantee you its gonna say you are only gonna get 15k-16k in trade.

Also, i don't know where you are gonna get all these stock parts to put back on its gonna cost ya $$$ I think you sold most of them already if I remember right.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Devil Z

Just save up and do a tranny swap man.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:23 PM
ssgohan434

I was in the same position as you and kept the 5AT.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:26 PM
StormZ

Ebay has the 6 speed for $1200.00 not including clutch, flywheel, master and slave cylinders, pedal, and install. Wonder what the grand total would be??? Hmmm.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:59 PM
ral
Z-BIRU

Save up plenty of money then wait until the new generation Z comes out.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Tranny swap seems like the clearcut answer here.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:35 PM
ssgohan434

^ how much would a tranny swap run? I was thinking somewhere around $4 or $5k after everything, hence I gave up on that idea.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:53 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

I made up my mind and will do the tranny swap. I love this car too much and the dealership was trying to rip me a new one so f* them lol. Thanks guys...I'm pretty sure I will have enough for a tranny swap in 9-10 months. Not bad at all
Old 05-21-2007, 07:53 PM
CrazyRuskie

right on... 6mt is the only way
Old 05-21-2007, 08:09 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Originally Posted by vstrizheus
right on... 6mt is the only way
werd...right now I'm pricing it out at 2grand...which isn't too hard to save up. I'm going to try to piece the parts together in the next 4-5 months and research. This project will be done right
Old 05-21-2007, 09:30 PM
CrazyRuskie

Right on man! The 07 Sedan is a 5AT (wife drives it thats why) and I love the car but it would be so much better (for me anyways) in a 6MT... I'm so glad I have the 03 Coupe 6MT to drive around... my next car will definately be a 6MT as well... no auto's for my daily driver...
Old 05-21-2007, 09:40 PM
ssgohan434

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
werd...right now I'm pricing it out at 2grand...which isn't too hard to save up. I'm going to try to piece the parts together in the next 4-5 months and research. This project will be done right
That sounds awesome! I thought it would end up being much more. I may have to consider this. Would that be including labor? Damn you, making me spend more money.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Alvin, you'll be fine since you're saving up, and not in a rush either. Just look online (forums, craigslist, ebay) and local junkyards to find a good donor tranny, pedals, shifter, new center console trim, etc... As far as install, if you want, I'm sure I can get my friends to do it for a very reasonable price. Same guys I've mentioned in the past. Certified ASE master techs (although for Toyota, haha).
Old 05-21-2007, 10:15 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Originally Posted by ssgohan434
That sounds awesome! I thought it would end up being much more. I may have to consider this. Would that be including labor? Damn you, making me spend more money.
Yeah bro I'll be getting a list put together etc and see where this thing goes but from the positive feedback and help of the local members I think it's going to be great!

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Alvin, you'll be fine since you're saving up, and not in a rush either. Just look online (forums, craigslist, ebay) and local junkyards to find a good donor tranny, pedals, shifter, new center console trim, etc... As far as install, if you want, I'm sure I can get my friends to do it for a very reasonable price. Same guys I've mentioned in the past. Certified ASE master techs (although for Toyota, haha).
Thanks Pat! I'm really down for this. I'll definitely go to him then. I think what's also really motivating me is that the salesman today said me to "be realistic, you're not going to keep your car forever" so the hell with him, I'm swapping it to a manual and I'll keep it forever!

Quick Reply: Huge dilemma - some advice needed