Old 06-26-2007, 05:52 AM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First350 is going.... FTMFW!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 06:09 AM
drivesolo

Originally Posted by first350
just got my email confirmation....I'm in! I'll be running group C w/ an instructor since it's my first time @ PR - I can't wait! (I love autoX, but sometimes have that feeling of frustration not being able to really get some higher speeds...)
The front straight will satisfy all your needs for higher speeds! And keeping the throttle down going into Turn 1 at 130+ will make you love life more.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:59 AM
sno

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, this sounds like a hell of a fun event. Too bad I don't have ANY track or auto-cross experience. I'm trying to get some guys at work interested in the High Performance Driving Course at PIR but their next class isn't until August 1st so I'm going to miss this event either way. But at least I can open the door for future events.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Rahtok

Originally Posted by drivesolo
The front straight will satisfy all your needs for higher speeds! And keeping the throttle down going into Turn 1 at 130+ will make you love life more.
Ya, hitting 130 on pump gas isn't too tricky, driving at 9/10ths. If you want a little fun, wait till you're out of fuel near the end of the day and put in 5 gallons of race gas. I've found it's good for an extra 10mph or so in the straightaway.

So, you're in too Noel? I'm trying to make sure I've got the day free before committing.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:31 AM
first350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sno
Damn, this sounds like a hell of a fun event. Too bad I don't have ANY track or auto-cross experience. I'm trying to get some guys at work interested in the High Performance Driving Course at PIR but their next class isn't until August 1st so I'm going to miss this event either way. But at least I can open the door for future events.
track events really are a blast...they cost some $$, and also wear on your tires, but it's sooooo worth the cost! Hope you can make it out soon!
Old 06-26-2007, 08:53 AM
drivesolo

Originally Posted by Rahtok
Ya, hitting 130 on pump gas isn't too tricky, driving at 9/10ths. If you want a little fun, wait till you're out of fuel near the end of the day and put in 5 gallons of race gas. I've found it's good for an extra 10mph or so in the straightaway.

So, you're in too Noel? I'm trying to make sure I've got the day free before committing.
The fastest I was able to get was 135 into Turn 1, I might have been able to go even a little faster but I'm limited by the non-brembo brakes. I would always end up braking before the braking zone cone that they placed out in order to slow down to take Turn 2. But I'll have better rotors and pads for this event so I'm hoping to push it a little further and I'll be running a lighter wheel & tire combo.

I couldn't imagine hitting 145 in Turn 1! I think I'd wet myself.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Rahtok

Originally Posted by drivesolo
The fastest I was able to get was 135 into Turn 1, I might have been able to go even a little faster but I'm limited by the non-brembo brakes. I would always end up braking before the braking zone cone that they placed out in order to slow down to take Turn 2. But I'll have better rotors and pads for this event so I'm hoping to push it a little further and I'll be running a lighter wheel & tire combo.

I couldn't imagine hitting 145 in Turn 1! I think I'd wet myself.
Ya, it gets a bit floaty at even 130. The best I've done is 140, and I didn't really trust it at that speed anymore. I think I'd need to get me one of them there "ricer" wings before I regularly exceed 130.

I've sent my email to kathleen -- we'll see if there are any spots left available for little ole me.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:11 AM
sno

Ya, it gets a bit floaty at even 130. The best I've done is 140, and I didn't really trust it at that speed anymore. I think I'd need to get me one of them there "ricer" wings before I regularly exceed 130.

I've sent my email to kathleen -- we'll see if there are any spots left available for little ole me.
Damn, that's hardcore. Stock Zs aren't recommended?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:41 AM
drivesolo

Originally Posted by sno
Damn, that's hardcore. Stock Zs aren't recommended?
I'm pretty close to stock right now. The first 2 times I was out on PR I was bone stock. The Z is very capable around PR. I've been able to pull and pass lightly modded STi's on the front straight w/ the setup I have now(probably areo and lighter power train advantage).
Old 06-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Rahtok

I'm not that modded either. I've got sways, rims w/R compound rubber (275 all the way around, baby!), and a few other misc items. The brakes are the weakest link. After about 6 laps of hard driving they start to get a little unhappy, so you just have a couple of harder laps followed by a couple of gentler laps. I'm looking at doing a 13" stoptech set for the front to fix that issue.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Soopa G

130? try 155 indicated going into 1..................
Old 06-26-2007, 01:22 PM
sno

I'm not that modded either. I've got sways, rims w/R compound rubber (275 all the way around, baby!), and a few other misc items. The brakes are the weakest link. After about 6 laps of hard driving they start to get a little unhappy, so you just have a couple of harder laps followed by a couple of gentler laps. I'm looking at doing a 13" stoptech set for the front to fix that issue.
So other than brakes, do you have to worry about significant wear and tear on other components? Such as engine and tranny or does the VQ hold up pretty well?
Old 06-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Rahtok

Originally Posted by sno
So other than brakes, do you have to worry about significant wear and tear on other components? Such as engine and tranny or does the VQ hold up pretty well?
Even the brakes work fine, just be aware of your limitations. I've had a couple of days coming off the track with smoke literally poring out of all 4 wheel wells.

But I've got about 44k miles on it now, I'm the original owner, and the car will be 5 years old in another few months. I've replaced the clutch, but that's as much to do with going to a light weight flywheel as much as about abusing it at some 1/4 mile track days. The car is a great, all around performance car. Not the fastest, not the lightest, but it's very neutral in the corners (bias to understeer stock) and if it does start to slide, it's easy to recover. Car and Driver did a nice little write up recently about it's track performance -- called it the japanese corvette -- great price, great performance, great value.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:23 PM
first350

Originally Posted by sno
depending on the driver, it's easy to overheat the brakes on the Z...my first time out at Thunderhill in California, I went through my rear brake pads (95% thickness) in less than a day...lots of ppl have run into similar problems.

To solve this you need to learn how to brake more effiecently, and/or upgrade the brakes...even some of the more experienced Z drivers say that the brakes start to fade on courses that require heavy braking. (I went to a set of semi-metallic pads that I use for track only events...works well, and extends pad life)

other than the brakes, I think the Z is great! It's a well rounded car...decent acceleration and cornering.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:29 PM
drivesolo

I gotta give the Z it's due. It's been a champion that can take punishment and keep dishing it out. I've had it for almost 5 years now too. A few Track days, 4 seasons of autoX w/ tons of practice days in between and burned through 4 sets of tires aside from R comps. Only 28k on it but aside from changing the oil and bringing it in for the scheduled maintenance, there's never been anything wrong w/ it. Interior is making some noise, but is reliable as the day I first got it and still going strong. It's far exceeded my original expectations.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:13 PM
sno

I used to own a b13 Sentra a few years back and Nissan quality was excellent back then; it's good to hear that quality hasn't suffered over the years.

I just did a couple hours worth of reading up on BBK, pads, slotted/drilled rotors. Lots of good information and knowledgable people on this board, I'm impressed. From the sound of things, a BBK is the ideal way to go but a good set of track pads will be good enough.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:16 PM
first350

Originally Posted by sno
I used to own a b13 Sentra a few years back and Nissan quality was excellent back then; it's good to hear that quality hasn't suffered over the years.

I just did a couple hours worth of reading up on BBK, pads, slotted/drilled rotors. Lots of good information and knowledgable people on this board, I'm impressed. From the sound of things, a BBK is the ideal way to go but a good set of track pads will be good enough.
if you're getting into track days and think you may also want to do autoX (much cheaper and more practical for competition), you might want to wait on a BBK b/c it'll throw you into a much harder class to compete in. (That's the main reason why I didn't opt for a BBK)
Old 07-03-2007, 06:31 AM
Rahtok

I've been trying to sign up for this, but getting no response.

I'm thinking of heading out to Spokane for that event in August. Anyone else want to go? It'd be 2 days of straight racin fun...
Old 07-03-2007, 06:33 AM
first350

I've been trying to sign up for this, but getting no response.

I'm thinking of heading out to Spokane for that event in August. Anyone else want to go? It'd be 2 days of straight racin fun...

I had to wait about a month to get a response....I called and emailed...just wait, she'll get back to you. (It'd be really great to get a decent sized group of Z/G's out there...too many STI's!)
Old 07-03-2007, 10:31 AM
icedoutis
Banned

i'm thinking about going, but i have absolutely 0 experience in racing other than on the streets, and 1/4 mile. My GM from my dealership wants to bring out his spec miata, and have some fun. Do i need to be caged or anything? I will have my 19's on at that time, sways, springs, endlinks, and a couple power mods. Really want to see what this car can do before i put the twins on it next month.

Quick Reply: SIR [PR] Thursday, July 26th HPDE track day