Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

OEM vlsd automatic pumpkin swap into base

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 06:09 AM
JoshTreeFity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM vlsd automatic pumpkin swap into base

Well Ive been searching for limited slip for awhile now becuase I have a base model and it was the only other option I really wanted that I missed out on with this model. Ive found a OEM pumpkin with vlsd from an automatic Z. I plan on going FI when i get out of school which shouild be in a year or so and I know that gearing would be better suited for more power. So I wanted to just swap this in to save money down the road off of doing it again. What do you guys think? How much slower do you think this will make my car while im NA for awhile? Also do you guys think i will be able to finish the 1/4 mile in 3rd gear? Let me know what you guys think

Josh
Old 04-13-2005, 08:17 AM
whatever
Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

swapping to the auto pumpkin will actually slow down your aceleration quite a bit. Not sure by how much. But I think it will be enough that you will want to go to FI sooner
Old 04-13-2005, 09:39 AM
JoshTreeFity

Originally Posted by whatever
swapping to the auto pumpkin will actually slow down your aceleration quite a bit. Not sure by how much. But I think it will be enough that you will want to go to FI sooner

Ya I agree with you but I think i can get one less shift in the 1/4 not to mention get better gas mileage for awhile with these horrible gas prices! haha

Do you think it would be very noticably slower?
Old 04-13-2005, 10:35 AM
whatever
Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only been in manual cars where they went the other way. And with the final drive ratio change, you can really feel a difference in the acceleration.
Check with Louzer, he did this swap, but he also have the vortech though
Old 04-13-2005, 10:56 AM
JoshTreeFity

Originally Posted by whatever
I only been in manual cars where they went the other way. And with the final drive ratio change, you can really feel a difference in the acceleration.
Check with Louzer, he did this swap, but he also have the vortech though

Ya the manaul 3.5 to the evo 3.9 is a biger change then manual to automatic gearing. Isnt the automatic like 3.2 or something? I PMed Lou about it see what he has to say. I dont think anyone has done this swap while they were still NA though.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:08 AM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

do a search on the vlsd into a base. from what i believe you still need to buy the mini stub axles inorder to complete the swap. if you end up doing that then you might want to consider getting the nismo lsd and just buy the gear from a junk yard or forum member that did the swap. the tt or sc will easily over power the oem vlsd. i have a base also and just ended up buying a nismo lsd
Old 04-13-2005, 12:31 PM
JoshTreeFity

Ya i am kinda having second thoughts about doing this now. Are you guys sure that this pumpkin isnt a direct bolt on onto the base? Maybe it would be better route to just pick up the nismo lsd for 900 with all the parts needed to swap it in. The only problem is i will get reemed with labor prices.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Z-INCOGNITO

Originally Posted by JoshTreeFity
Ya i am kinda having second thoughts about doing this now. Are you guys sure that this pumpkin isnt a direct bolt on onto the base? Maybe it would be better route to just pick up the nismo lsd for 900 with all the parts needed to swap it in. The only problem is i will get reemed with labor prices.
I got really lucky and bought a used Nismo LSD + Differential Heat Soaker for $400 installed.

Had i bought a brand new one, and knowing what they had to do to swap out the pumpkin & install the LSD, it would have ran me well over $1200...

which reminds me, i still owe some folks dinner

Oneofthe best purchases i have ever made...
Old 04-13-2005, 12:53 PM
JoshTreeFity

Originally Posted by Z-INCOGNITO
I got really lucky and bought a used Nismo LSD + Differential Heat Soaker for $400 installed.

Had i bought a brand new one, and knowing what they had to do to swap out the pumpkin & install the LSD, it would have ran me well over $1200...

which reminds me, i still owe some folks dinner

Oneofthe best purchases i have ever made...
damn that is a deal!!! How did you come across that? Someone wanted to convert back to stock to the vlsd right? Ive seen a few threads like that on here but I coudlnt do that anyway considering I dont even have OEM lsd.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:57 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

damn that is a deal!!! How did you come across that?
Henry has all the luck when it comes to deals... his new wheels, the LSD, his headlight housings, etc.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Z-INCOGNITO

i usually see people who sell their nismo lsd wanting just the pumpkin (which is what happened to me as well. I came across a local member (IAN, forgot his sn) who is expecting a kid soon and needed a more practical car... so i bought the nismo lsd with nimso diff heat soaker (installed), veilside front lip and side wings (already painted silverstone) the kinetix v4 plenum and mud guards all for $1000 so about $400 for the LSD, $400 for the veilside kit and $200 for the plenum + mudguards... give or take
Old 04-13-2005, 02:36 PM
JoshTreeFity

so i bought the nismo lsd with nimso diff heat soaker (installed), veilside front lip and side wings (already painted silverstone) the kinetix v4 plenum and mud guards all for $1000 so about $400 for the LSD, $400 for the veilside kit and $200 for the plenum + mudguards... give or take

thats a ****ing deal!!!!!! Are you sure you dont want to sell me the pumpkin? I kinda think you want to! I can tell!!!!!! haha
Old 04-13-2005, 02:40 PM
JoshTreeFity

Are you FI guys running beefed up rear ends? Or has the OEM vlsd been hoilding up? What have you guys from Zcargarage been doing seems like most of you guys are FI
Old 04-13-2005, 07:32 PM
LOU

It holds up fine.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:39 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Originally Posted by LouZer
It holds up fine.
Better then the motor
Old 04-14-2005, 10:03 AM
LOU

Yes Bill, better than the motor.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:09 PM
scubasteve

Lou, did you do what I think you did??? Hmmmm....I guess it was just a matter of time. How about Bruce's?? I rode with him for a minute or so and he's pretty hard on his car.

Anyway, I'll drink a beer for ya tonight
-Steve
Old 04-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Z_U_NVYN

Man Henry! You either got the deal of the century or you're half irish! $400 for a NISMO LSD INSTALLED? That's insane! Pass some of that luck down bro!

i usually see people who sell their nismo lsd wanting just the pumpkin (which is what happened to me as well. I came across a local member (IAN, forgot his sn) who is expecting a kid soon and needed a more practical car... so i bought the nismo lsd with nimso diff heat soaker (installed), veilside front lip and side wings (already painted silverstone) the kinetix v4 plenum and mud guards all for $1000 so about $400 for the LSD, $400 for the veilside kit and $200 for the plenum + mudguards... give or take
Old 04-25-2005, 10:37 PM
barthelb
Master

Mine is still alive. daily beaten and abused. just came back from the z meet in So cal. I think she's just teasin me. i can tell she wants me to turn up the beating. maybe after summer.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:51 AM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya I agree with you but I think i can get one less shift in the 1/4 not to mention get better gas mileage for awhile with these horrible gas prices! haha

Do you think it would be very noticably slower?
I don't know how much slower it will be, but after having watched you launch a number of times I would suspect at the drags you will turn a better time than you do now. You lose a lot of time smoking that one tire.
It is a straight swap with lsd to lsd, but I'm not sure about it with your situation. In any event it can't be a big deal. If it doesn't work out or if you don't go to F/I I would guess you could still trade it to a F/I guy. They need that gearing.

I went the other direction when I swapped with Lou. Gave my car a little more punch throughout the whole range. I used to go through the 1/4 in 3rd gear, now I have to shift into 4th. Gas milage has hardly changed. Maybe 1 mpg less.

Quick Reply: OEM vlsd automatic pumpkin swap into base