Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Just got a state ref ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:18 PM
g35pm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesaint
i have an amuse catback with amuse r1000 frontpipe as well, we'll c how loud that is when i pick it up 2nite.
Post some sound clips please! I want to hear that bad boy! I love the Amuse Z.

Damn, it sucks to be isolated and a cop rolls by.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:20 PM
G352NV

Keep us posted. A bunch of guys got rolled at HIN in SJ for this. They left the show and teh po po's were waiting for them.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's the law on refusing to open your hood for an officer?
Old 03-07-2006, 06:16 AM
Realrammstein

Originally Posted by failsafe
Vortech has CARB and Jim Wolf TT should have CARB soon.
Stillen lies? Say it ain't so!
Old 03-07-2006, 06:39 AM
nissansource

im curious on the law of refusing to pop say the latch is broken i think they can seend you to a ref regardless to pop that hood for you. not to sure
Old 03-07-2006, 06:55 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't you just get a PO Box in WA State and "Move" there. You may have to pay WA State Taxes, but You won't be harrassed as much..
Old 03-07-2006, 06:57 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nissansource
im curious on the law of refusing to pop say the latch is broken i think they can seend you to a ref regardless to pop that hood for you. not to sure
That would be a search like any other I would think. He may say he has probable cause if you have an aftermarket exhaust or stickers or the like..

Sleepers are the way to go... OR you could just move from the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia..
Old 03-07-2006, 07:08 AM
jmagilto

Default Dont jump !

I seem to recall reading in the SEMA news letter that in Cali, If the cop thinks your exhaust does not comply with the noise regulations he writes you a ticket and sends you to the ref who do a exhaust noise test.
You might want to check out exactly what they are sending you to the ref for.......
Old 03-07-2006, 07:33 AM
mchong75

I'll buy the kit from you...save you the trouble.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:11 AM
g35pm

Originally Posted by G352NV
Keep us posted. A bunch of guys got rolled at HIN in SJ for this. They left the show and teh po po's were waiting for them.
That's so ghey. People are attending a legal show and get rolled for it. Dirty..very dirty.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:30 AM
barthelb
Master

If you refuse to pop your hood you will either get your car towed or the same outcome, the state ref ticket.

As for the San Jose HIN, thank all your ricers that have a stereo with more watts than horsepower. There was a bunch of people burning out and racing near there. So, they pulled everyone over.

Stay away from Capitol, monterrey and tully area on the weekends after 6pm or so, theres a task force out there. If you drive an import, look young, have what looks like a modded exhaust you'll get rolled.

Originally Posted by Z BOY
what's the law on refusing to open your hood for an officer?
Old 03-07-2006, 10:44 AM
o snap its eric

if you guys havent figured it by now, there is no way with fighting/arguing with the cop. Just take it up the *** or hope he'll be nice to you. If you argue with him, it just escalates the situation or he'll find some other way to pop your hood or give you a ticket.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:56 AM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by barthelb
As for the San Jose HIN, thank all your ricers that have a stereo with more watts than horsepower. There was a bunch of people burning out and racing near there. So, they pulled everyone over.
Once again, a nice gathering is ruined by a group of idiots & causes everyone to suffer . This is one of the main reasons why I'm so hesitant to attend some of these "all car meets" is becuase I know there will be a bunch of irresponsible ricers out there trying to show-off. I don't want to get one of those "guilty by association" B.S. tickets.

Last edited by GTNPU Z; 03-07-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:25 PM
barthelb
Master

And that's what its all about, you think cops don't own these cars, or don't mod them. HA! Its just that a select few F' it up for the true enthusiast who aren't out doing dumb chit. Just don't roll up next to me and rev and were cool hahahaha

Originally Posted by GTNPU Z
Once again, a nice gathering is ruined by a group of idiots & causes everyone to suffer . This is one of the main reasons why I'm so hesitant to attend some of these "all car meets" is becuase I know there will be a bunch of irresponsible ricers out there trying to show-off. I don't want to get one of those "guilty by association" B.S. tickets.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:33 PM
nissansource

Its kinda the reason i bought a 03 Cobra was to stay away from the ricer copouts that these cops are using, but then i traded it for my z
Old 03-07-2006, 02:20 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Originally Posted by o snap its eric
if you guys havent figured it by now, there is no way with fighting/arguing with the cop. Just take it up the *** or hope he'll be nice to you. If you argue with him, it just escalates the situation or he'll find some other way to pop your hood or give you a ticket.
Agreed. It's also not the same as a cop asking to search your trunk or inside the vehicle. If the cop has reason to believe the car is in violation of smog or is a safety concern to others he does not need a warrant to inspect the vehicle for mechanical violations or saftey hazards.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:35 PM
_Shift06

I'll "out myself" and admit that I have performed a few of these vehicle inspections over the last three years as an LEO. When it comes to inspecting a vehicle on CA roads, a LEO does not need probable cause or reasonable suspicion. Probable cause and reasonable suspicion are the legal grounds allowing us to stop a vehicle.

If an Officer asks to inspect under the hood, you have no choice in the matter. With that being said, I modify cars and have done so for 15 years. I drive by countless vehicles daily that I believe have parts without CARB approval. Just because an exhaust is loud does not mean I will stop you. If you are driving like an idiot and causing a hazard, I will stop you and perform an inspection. An example of this would be the 18 year old in an automatic mid 90's Integra driving 70 in a 35...

...nine times out of ten, when I have performed a vehicle inspection, the driver does not know one thing about modifying cars. Just this last week, I had an 18 year old tell me his injen intake gave "115 horsepower" on his beater Honda Civic. These are the same type of people who give car enthusiasts a bad name. They don't know how to drive, watched Fast and Furious and think they are Brian Tanner. These are the same small minority that cause the drag racing collisions and force legislators to enact laws.

Jumping off my soap box now...If you have a turbo or any other part that is not CARB cert, you may get a state ref ticket if your vehicle is too loud, too low, or your driving in an unsafe manner. The vast majority of cops will not write you one, but there are task forces out there and Officers who do this 24/7. Good luck and drive safe!
Old 03-07-2006, 03:38 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Originally Posted by _Shift06
I'll "out myself" and admit that I have performed a few of these vehicle inspections over the last three years as an LEO. When it comes to inspecting a vehicle on CA roads, a LEO does not need probable cause or reasonable suspicion. Probable cause and reasonable suspicion are the legal grounds allowing us to stop a vehicle.

If an Officer asks to inspect under the hood, you have no choice in the matter. With that being said, I modify cars and have done so for 15 years. I drive by countless vehicles daily that I believe have parts without CARB approval. Just because an exhaust is loud does not mean I will stop you. If you are driving like an idiot and causing a hazard, I will stop you and perform an inspection. An example of this would be the 18 year old in an automatic mid 90's Integra driving 70 in a 35...

...nine times out of ten, when I have performed a vehicle inspection, the driver does not know one thing about modifying cars. Just this last week, I had an 18 year old tell me his injen intake gave "115 horsepower" on his beater Honda Civic. These are the same type of people who give car enthusiasts a bad name. They don't know how to drive, watched Fast and Furious and think they are Brian Tanner. These are the same small minority that cause the drag racing collisions and force legislators to enact laws.

Jumping off my soap box now...If you have a turbo or any other part that is not CARB cert, you may get a state ref ticket if your vehicle is too loud, too low, or your driving in an unsafe manner. The vast majority of cops will not write you one, but there are task forces out there and Officers who do this 24/7. Good luck and drive safe!
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated to hear from the other side of the fence.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:56 PM
barthelb
Master

bingo!

Originally Posted by _Shift06

Old 03-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by failsafe
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated to hear from the other side of the fence.
ditto, and welcome!

Quick Reply: Just got a state ref ticket!