Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

I'm being attacked by flying beetles!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 11:21 AM
350z4steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
..., you can eat them....

"The Brown May Beetle

The Brown May Beetle is commonly only about 3/4 of an inch long but in reading it was found that specimens have reached up to two inches. Around Knotts Island they are pretty much small and round. They are active at night, feeding on foliage, flower buds, and flowers on shrubs. They are usually seen flying erratically around the porch lights and floodlights of homes, or clinging to the screens of doors trying to get to the living room lights. They have reproduce much like the Green June Bug except that the life-cycle of their larva is about three years and they emerge as adult beetles earlier, around May.
Both beetles are white grubs while in their larval stages. They're the same "C" shaped white grubs that are always in the soil when digging in the yard. The grubs may be anywhere from 1/4" to 2" long depending on how far along they are in their development. They crawl on their backs using two rows of stiff hairs. They eat small roots near the surface of the soil so they quite often damage turf grasses leaving curly brown marks in lawns. Sometimes they eat root vegetables like sweet potatoes and carrots causing damage in gardens. But they also eat decaying leaves though so they aren't always destructive. The grubs are good to have around in yards owned by fishermen. They are easy to find and are great bait for a wide variety of fish species. And of all the insects you can eat, the white grub is one of the tastiest, easy to prepare and high in protein.

If eating insects interests you, the May Beetle is a best choice. When toasted in hot ashes, the internal body parts and juices of the bug congeal into an edible nugget. After peeling off shriveled legs, wings, and wing case, the remaining tidbit can be eaten one at a time or by the handful. Toasted May Beetles have a surprisingly sweet taste. The flavor is said to resemble thick raw molasses or crudely made cane syrup. If mixed with warm milk, it has a malted milk taste."

http://www.knottsislandonline.com/na...ts/junebug.htm

Chris
Wow this is good to know..
Old 06-29-2006, 11:24 AM
g35pm

That article made me want to throw up in my mouth
Old 06-29-2006, 12:49 PM
barthelb
Master

Originally Posted by 350z4steve
Wow this is good to know..

I'll let you know how they taste! Those white moths are bitter and cold inside, ants are pepper hot, worms stink and chewy, and grasshoppers are crunchy and have a wierd taste.

I assume my bearded dragon can eat them, Im gonna have to catch a few and use for Bass as well.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nitrouz
I know! same as taiwan. They fly, they go through anything, and they're loud and smelly. Hate those ****'s...but too chickensh!t to kill em. 2 things I'm scared of...spiders and cockroaches...ahhhhhhhhhhh
Oh yea, Taiwan roaches are the worst...i was sitting there on my computer one day, and i felt this soft, almost whisker like thing touch my foot, my initial thought was that it was my cat (but then) my cat's in the US! Looked down, and this giant roach was chillin next to my foot. OMG! Jumped up immediately, and i guess i spooked him...and he ran under the dresser (OMFG) oh man, seriously, they're the most disgusting things i've ever seen...
Old 06-29-2006, 02:48 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

The funniest thing happened last night with one of these beetles though. This one little guy was flying around frantically around my lamp (the tall one that looks like a torch at the top). Well, this little guy got a little too close to the hot bulb & ZAP!!! All I saw was smoke coming from the top of the lamp. LOL. Looked like a small plane crash . It was cool until I started to smell it burning & then it just stank so I had to bust out the air freshner

Yeah, I've seen those flying "caca"roaches when I was in the PI a couple years ago. Those things were HUGE!
Old 06-29-2006, 02:53 PM
corsair

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
Yuck, you can eat them....

"The Brown May Beetle

The Brown May Beetle is commonly only about 3/4 of an inch long but in reading it was found that specimens have reached up to two inches. Around Knotts Island they are pretty much small and round. They are active at night, feeding on foliage, flower buds, and flowers on shrubs. They are usually seen flying erratically around the porch lights and floodlights of homes, or clinging to the screens of doors trying to get to the living room lights. They have reproduce much like the Green June Bug except that the life-cycle of their larva is about three years and they emerge as adult beetles earlier, around May.
Both beetles are white grubs while in their larval stages. They're the same "C" shaped white grubs that are always in the soil when digging in the yard. The grubs may be anywhere from 1/4" to 2" long depending on how far along they are in their development. They crawl on their backs using two rows of stiff hairs. They eat small roots near the surface of the soil so they quite often damage turf grasses leaving curly brown marks in lawns. Sometimes they eat root vegetables like sweet potatoes and carrots causing damage in gardens. But they also eat decaying leaves though so they aren't always destructive. The grubs are good to have around in yards owned by fishermen. They are easy to find and are great bait for a wide variety of fish species. And of all the insects you can eat, the white grub is one of the tastiest, easy to prepare and high in protein.

If eating insects interests you, the May Beetle is a best choice. When toasted in hot ashes, the internal body parts and juices of the bug congeal into an edible nugget. After peeling off shriveled legs, wings, and wing case, the remaining tidbit can be eaten one at a time or by the handful. Toasted May Beetles have a surprisingly sweet taste. The flavor is said to resemble thick raw molasses or crudely made cane syrup. If mixed with warm milk, it has a malted milk taste."

http://www.knottsislandonline.com/na...ts/junebug.htm

Chris

I prefer mine with a little spicy mustard.