Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Putting in a claim against CalTrans

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 03:33 PM
mcowger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am recording this on my PVR, and will cut down, edit and post when done. I'm psyched to see this.

You will DEF. get their attention
Old 09-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Sotomatic

someone should tape it and post it up!
Old 09-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Yellow Stealth

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcowger
I am recording this on my PVR, and will cut down, edit and post when done. I'm psyched to see this.

You will DEF. get their attention
That would be cool because I won't even get to see to footage tonight as I will be at the gym. I am sure the segment will be very short, so probably no need to cut it down. All I know is that it should air sometime between 6 and 6:30pm on Channel 2.

Sal was super cool. They were impressed by the fact I cover my car, so they filmed me taking the cover off. After seeing my car, Sal said he could tell I was a man with taste!
Old 09-06-2007, 07:42 PM
mcowger

I've got it recorded. let me cut it down and post it.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:59 PM
lww

I totally didn't get off work in time to see this on the tube. Looking forward to the post! Don't use YouTube! The quality sucks. Please use StreetFire.net.

Much better resolution. They don't compress the video nearly as much as YouTube.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Yellow Stealth

I got a call from a friend who saw me on the news, but I haven't seen it myself yet so I am also looking forward to it getting posted. My friend said the segment was pretty short.

I am watching the 10 o'clock news right now, but I don't think they will show it again.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:32 PM
mcowger

Originally Posted by Yellow Stealth
I got a call from a friend who saw me on the news, but I haven't seen it myself yet so I am also looking forward to it getting posted. My friend said the segment was pretty short.

I am watching the 10 o'clock news right now, but I don't think they will show it again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz1F7ufsANs

Full quality with DivX Stage 6:

http://stage6.divx.com/user/mcowger/...n-a-damanged-Z

Last edited by mcowger; 09-06-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Yellow Stealth

Very cool
Thanks for posting it.

They defintely summarized a 15 minutes interview into this 2 minute segment, but I am glad I brought attention to the problem because CalTrans deserves to feel the pain.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Yellow Stealth

Default Still waiting...

According to the post office, Caltrans received my claim on August 31st. They sent me a letter dated September 12th confirming receipt of it, gave me the claim number and mentioned I will hear the outcome of the "investigation" within 90 days. I did not hear from them after that.

I just called them and to my surprise, the Claim Assistant actually answered the phone. She looked it up and told me they have until the end of the month (in 2 weeks) to respond to the claim...

I guess they really want to make me wait until the very last minute.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Yellow Stealth

The saga continues...

Even though CalTrans had up to 90 days to respond to my claim, they took 100 days only to send me a letter stating that "after a very thorough investigation", it was determined they are not responsible but the state's contractor (O.C. Jones & Sons, Inc.) are and for me to contact them directly.

I can't believe these A-holes took 100 days to give me the name of the contractor that THEY hired to do the job.

Anyway, I called that company yesterday, and they had a appraiser company call me today to schedule an appointment (for tomorrow) to come and look at my car...

I guess I will continnue going through this little song and dance with them to see where it gets me. In the end, I always have the option of going through my insurance company. I just want for the responsible party to feel the financial pain.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Yellow Stealth

I finally brought the car to the bodyshop this morning!

The contracting company that was doing the road repair work for CalTrans accepted liability and already sent me a $4,000 check. That doesn't quite match my shop's estimate, but he said they will work out the details.

I am getting 07 headlights and clear side markers intalled so at least it will feel like I am getting a little bit of an upgrade when all of this is over with. I am of course paying for the difference in cost between the 03 and 07 headlights as well as the side markers.

I should get my baby back in about 2 weeks. It should look like new again.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:19 PM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...long wait from Cal Trans, but good to hear the actual contractor responsible took care of it much quicker.

Hate Cal Trans and their contractors. You guys remember a few months back when the 24 was being repaved?
What a cluster screw up that was. Lots of chipped windshields etc with that project
Old 01-14-2008, 02:14 PM
macao_friend

Good to hear some one actually won from Cal Trans. 4 grands should be able to put your baby back to the way it was plus some goodies.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:27 PM
MrWatchDawg

congrads man!

-mo
Old 01-15-2008, 04:25 PM
SPRacing

wow! my buddy fished tailed on his bike at that spot. he broke a leg and total his bike. GL!
Old 02-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Yellow Stealth

Default Updates

Here is what my roof looked like as of Tuesday. The rest of the car looked just as bad:

Attached Thumbnails Putting in a claim against CalTrans-dsc01427.jpg  
Old 02-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Yellow Stealth

This is what the car looked like today. I am supposed to pick it up tomorrow!!!

Attached Thumbnails Putting in a claim against CalTrans-dsc01433.jpg   Putting in a claim against CalTrans-dsc01431.jpg   Putting in a claim against CalTrans-dsc01432.jpg  
Old 02-08-2008, 08:51 AM
macao_friend

Wow! So the rear was not painted right? Seems like they repainted 3/4 of the car...might as well repaint the whole thing? But for 4 grands, I bet they'll do a real good job and you will have perfect paint match.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Yellow Stealth

No the rear was repainted by them about a year ago and they did a beautiful job, so I am sure (at least I hope!) it will match. The doors just got blended in (they did not sand those down) in order to perfectly match the rear.

If they had repainted the rear, the contractor's insurance would have refused to pay (since it was not damaged). That would involve a lot of labor since, as you can tell, they do their job very professionally and remove every single part that can be removed before painting. Notice the side Z emblems were removed, as were the door handles, front bumper, headlights, etc...

As far as the price, it actually went up dramatically from $4,800 to almost $7,000 when they realized that Daytona Blue is actually a tri-coat which is a much more difficult and time consuming process.

The owner is picking me up in an hour and a half to bring me to my car.... I can't wait.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Kuruma-san

Sweet job sticking it to them! Our cars get damaged all the time from blunders of bad road contractors

Quick Reply: Putting in a claim against CalTrans