Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

My visit to the BAR smog referee

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 12:21 PM
spf4000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see that you passed. So when the techs did the visual inspection, did they check to make sure the cats and headers were stock? I'm planning on getting aftermarket cats, but I'm hesistating because there's no point in getting the aftermarket cats if they are not going to pass the visual inspection. Then I'd rather just get straight pipes--more power, cheaper.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:33 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the car was given a thorough visual. I didn't swap out my headers since it's a 6 hour install. I figured I'd see if it would pass and if not then I'd have them swapped. Despite the fact that my headers are now a deep purple tint and don't have the heat shield, they passed. I don't think the somg techs have seen enough 350's to know the difference. I really started to sweat when they started looking at the headers with a flashlight, but they never said a thing.

My Random high flow cats are being installed on Monday. From what I've read, in CA it is illegal to alter your cats in anyway. However, they have a CARB EO# (other states use CARB #'s as well). So the nice thing about the random cats is that if you get pulled over and a cop inspects the cats you can show him the CARB exemption. Unless he truly knows the law (which most don't) you should be able to avoid any trouble. The cats are easy to swap so when it comes time to smog they can be exchanged with stock.